Cruise Critic Community
Sportmom55

Enough time for Universal Studios after cruise?

We arrive on the NCL Bliss at 8:00 am on a Sunday (Oct 20).  Our flight isn’t until 7:45 pm, so we want to go to Universal Studios.  After researching, it looks like our best option is to Uber from San Pedro port to LAX, then rent a car (best option to store cruise luggage), then drive to Universal.  Would it be better to leave car at airport and Uber?  We’re trying to maximize our time at Universal and planned to buy express passes.

Also, the Halloween part of Universal is at 7 in the evening, so we were wondering if it might not be as busy during the day.  

Any my ideas if traffic is heavy on Sundays in LA?  Just trying to anticipate what time we might get to the park and how long to calculate our drive back to the airport, so we don’t miss our flight.

Any help is appreciated!

3 hours ago, Sportmom55 said:

After researching, it looks like our best option is to Uber from San Pedro port to LAX, then rent a car (best option to store cruise luggage), then drive to Universal.  Would it be better to leave car at airport and Uber?

You should just skip the car entirely and Uber to Universal and store bags at one of the hotels there-- either Hilton or Sheraton. They are happy to do it for you. Going to LAX to rent a car will take way too much time out of your day to make this worth while. 

Also, the Halloween part of Universal is at 7 in the evening, so we were wondering if it might not be as busy during the day.

No-- it wont make much of a difference. On a Sunday you will have a lot of people arriving early to hit the park before. Sundays at both Universal and Disneyland in California are for locals and are much busier than their counterparts in Florida that rely on out of town tourists. This will be one of the busiest days of the week to visit Universal. 

Any my ideas if traffic is heavy on Sundays in LA?  Just trying to anticipate what time we might get to the park and how long to calculate our drive back to the airport, so we don’t miss our flight.

Traffic will be moderate-- nothing crazy but build a little buffer as it can be unpredictable. In order to be at LAX by 630 you'll need to leave Universal by Uber by 545. You'd need to leave by about 5pm if you rent a car and need to gas it up and return it/take shuttle to terminal. 

Should I check to make sure they’ll take my bags?  I would tip, but wasn’t sure if I needed to do anything else since technically I’m not a guest of the hotel.

I agree with "princeton" just find a place to stash your bags and go directly to Universal.  Use UBER all around they usually know the way around traffic jams.  I would call the Hilton Universal and see if they will store your bags.  The hotel is in the parking lot of the theme park so just a quick walk over to the park.  

The Halloween celebration at the studio is widely known and it will be crowded.  But most locals will come at night so you should be out of there by then.  Driving to LAX, as is with all LA traffic, is always a crap shoot.  You never know what's gonna happen on the LA freeway.  Just leave plenty of time and have at least three routes is always my plan when I go to LA.  Personally, and I was just there last week for five days for work, I like to avoid the freeway and take surface streets.  It's a little slower (some times) but much easier to get around traffic jams than being in the 101 parking lot and no way to get off.     

On 9/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sportmom55 said:

Should I check to make sure they’ll take my bags?  I would tip, but wasn’t sure if I needed to do anything else since technically I’m not a guest of the hotel.

Theres no need to call-- I've done it several times without an issue (mainly for meetings there but it will work just as well with the theme park). Just walk up to the bell desk, tell them you need to check for a few hours, and give them a nice tip. No questions will be asked. 

If it makes you feel better about legitimizing it at all you could have a quick breakfast at the hotel and tell them you need to check it while you eat.