1987 Jubilee

VentureMan_2000

1070839142_Carnival1987CruiseDoc.thumb.jpg.6cb1f4f75524df9a250cf7eb18384b61.jpg1987 Jubilee

I was looking back at my old 1987 Jubilee cruise documents.  This was a 7-Day Eastern Carabbean cruise, inside cabin.  Activities were different... see "Things to Do"..

Carnival only had 7 ships in 1987...  Mardi Gras (1972), Carnivale (1976), Festivale (1978), Tropicale (1982), Holiday (1985), Jubilee (1986), and Celebration (1987).

Itinerary:        Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas

Sail & Sign:        What is interesting is that you actually had to apply for this card while on board... kind of like applying for a credit card.  I never did.  I just paid cash for cocktails and everything else.  

Cabins:            Two metal cabin keys are provided.

Suggested Gatuities:    $6.25 per person, per day

Cabin Steward    $2.50 per person, per day
                      Waiter        $2.50 per person, per day
                    Busboy        $1.25 per person, per day

Get-Away Cruise cost    $2,190
    includes Round-trip Air, Hotel, Transfer to pier.  

Value of air is listed as $339 each person, so the cruise price must have been $1,512 for both of us, or $216 per day for the both of us.

It looks like the price of a cruise has actually gone down since 1987.  We paid $216 per day for our cabin for an inside in 1987.  I'm paying $213 per day for our cabin, for a 16 day roundtrip cruise to Hawaii in 2020. 

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My aunt and I did the Hawaii trip  we flew from LAX to Vancouver. Got on the Jubilee sailed around the islands and flew back to LAX. It was a inside cabin the whole thing was about 1,500 it was a last minute booking so we got a good deal. It was around 1999 or 2000.

Karen

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

1070839142_Carnival1987CruiseDoc.thumb.jpg.6cb1f4f75524df9a250cf7eb18384b61.jpg1987 Jubilee

I was looking back at my old 1987 Jubilee cruise documents.  This was a 7-Day Eastern Carabbean cruise, inside cabin.  Activities were different... see "Things to Do"..

Carnival only had 7 ships in 1987...  Mardi Gras (1972), Carnivale (1976), Festivale (1978), Tropicale (1982), Holiday (1985), Jubilee (1986), and Celebration (1987).

Itinerary:        Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas

Sail & Sign:        What is interesting is that you actually had to apply for this card while on board... kind of like applying for a credit card.  I never did.  I just paid cash for cocktails and everything else.  

Cabins:            Two metal cabin keys are provided.

Suggested Gatuities:    $6.25 per person, per day

Cabin Steward    $2.50 per person, per day
                      Waiter        $2.50 per person, per day
                    Busboy        $1.25 per person, per day

Get-Away Cruise cost    $2,190
    includes Round-trip Air, Hotel, Transfer to pier.  

Value of air is listed as $339 each person, so the cruise price must have been $1,512 for both of us, or $216 per day for the both of us.

It looks like the price of a cruise has actually gone down since 1987.  We paid $216 per day for our cabin for an inside in 1987.  I'm paying $213 per day for our cabin, for a 16 day roundtrip cruise to Hawaii in 2020. 

Wow, trap shooting.  I'm glad they took that away.  Cheers & riffles = bad things. 😮

10 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Assuming your Hawaii cruise leaves from San Francisco, my wife and I will be on this cruise with you. 

We're in a 4K Interior room (actually an outside room with an obstructed view...used to be called "French Door" interior) and are paying $170.50/day, but this doesn't include Port Charges or Gratuities.  When you roll them into the cost, the overall per diem balloons to $232.67/day.

Garnett

5 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Assuming your Hawaii cruise leaves from San Francisco, my wife and I will be on this cruise with you. 

We're in a 4K Interior room (actually an outside room with an obstructed view...used to be called "French Door" interior) and are paying $170.50/day, but this doesn't include Port Charges or Gratuities.  When you roll them into the cost, the overall per diem balloons to $232.67/day.

Garnett

Yes, Hawaii in September 2020 out of San Francisco.  Looking forward to a short BART ride to the port, as opposed to driving to Long Beach or flying to Miami.

What is interesting is that Inflation since $1987 is 3.0865628 percent.  So my 1987 interior cabin (no window) cruise price of $1512 should cost $4667 today for a 7 day cruise, or $667/Day.  However, on this Hawaiian cruise without OBC and other discounts, it would only be $224/day today... just $8/day more than what I paid in 1987... and you get a whole lot more ship to enjoy... more bars, eateries, activities, pools, etc.  You can see in the "Things To Do" above that there really was not as much to do on board back in 1987.

Skeet shooting and driving balls off the back of the ship was pretty fun... not environmentally friendly, but fun just the same.

As an aside, 1987 gratuities of $6.25 adjusted for inflation would be $19.25, so even today's gratuities of $14 is discounted.   😁

Edited by VentureMan_2000

We did the Jubilee 7 day Eastern Caribbean in May 1987.  We booked an oceanview room and our TA got us airfare for $99.00 per person round trip Houston to Miami on Trans Star Airlines, which was owned by Southwest. She said it was much cheaper than the air Carnival was offering.  We paid $1862 for both of us cruise only.

We were seated at dinner with a lovely couple from Saskatchewan and had a wonderful time.  We liked it so much that we booked the Holiday on a W. Caribbean for our next cruise.  

The Jubilee was one of our favorite ships and we had two more cruises on her in the fall of 2002 when she came to Galveston.  It was only $99.00 per person for 5 nights in an oceanview, so we went twice in one month!

Edited by DebJ14
  • Like 1