Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

LBD: dressing up and dressing down

Do you ever take a LBD and use it for both daywear and in the evenings in the dining room? I used to own a knee length black shift that I learned to wear on its own, with a blouse underneath, with a bulky sweater over the top, with a turtleneck underneath, with a colorful scarf and so on. I wore out that dress and haven't found a replacement yet. Do you ever use your LBD for both casual and more formal engagements? I really need a new LBD.

I use my LBTD (little black t-shirt dress) for everything when I travel.  I've worn it with tennis shoes in the daytime.  I've worn it for formal night with the set of Swarovski aurora borealis crystal necklace, earrings, and bracelet that I made, I've worn it for a regular evening with maybe a scarf or a belt or another necklace.  Hasn't done me wrong yet.  I've had this dress since 2007.  I had to buy a new one this year because I lost a boatload of weight after being very ill all last winter.  

Look at Garnet Hill and their Eileen Fisher collection - they have a few nice travel-friendly LBDs.  I bought one of these. 

Athleta has a lovely LBD. It’s the Santorini (& they’re on sale this weekend). I take mine in my carryon every trip

I have a LND (Little Navy Dress) i find its a bit kinder in colour for me and i have lots of things i can dress it up or dress it down with.

M&S or Kaleidescope in UK is good for these kind of dresses. Sleeveless Beaded Dress

On 9/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, awhfy said:

Athleta has a lovely LBD. It’s the Santorini (& they’re on sale this weekend). I take mine in my carryon every trip

I have another Santorini that I bought years ago - a print.  I might have to look up the black one!

Oh yes definitely! 

I have a more on the casual side LBD...and I've worn it as a bathing suit cover up, and then later that day worn it to dinner with jewelry and pretty sandals.

I have another LBD that I can wear for cocktails, or dinner on a cruise, and then wear the next day with cute tennis shoes and a jean jacket or cardigan.

I also do the same with close fitting black slacks - dress them up...dress them down.  You're good to go to multiple occasions/venues.

I love multitasking items in my suitcase because I want to pack light..you can do a LOT with jewelry, scarves, shoes etc.  

Absolutely!  I bought a version of this 6 years ago and it's going strong.  I wear it with a t-shirt underneath. I wear it loose. I wear it belted. I wear it with black wedges and sparkly jewelry. I layer a pretty sweater over it. I use lots of different scarves. I wear it on it's own with a pair of sneakers.

https://www.eileenfisher.com/organic-cotton-gauze-v-neck-dress-s9gba-d4247/?&color=2090

I find it refreshing that there are others out there who pack for traveling as I do.  Let some still take their gowns that border on costumes and takes large amounts of luggage to transport all of it.  Let us bravely travel out with our LBD!!!   

I have to send back my dress - my usual Large is now too large and I have to try the Medium.  Good and bad news there - good that I'm getting smaller (due to my year-long illness and the new meds), but bad that some of my favorite things hang on me and aren't worth enough to pay for alterations...

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I find it refreshing that there are others out there who pack for traveling as I do.  Let some still take their gowns that border on costumes and takes large amounts of luggage to transport all of it.  Let us bravely travel out with our LBD!!!   

I have to send back my dress - my usual Large is now too large and I have to try the Medium.  Good and bad news there - good that I'm getting smaller (due to my year-long illness and the new meds), but bad that some of my favorite things hang on me and aren't worth enough to pay for alterations...

Pick your favorite & get it altered, donate the rest 

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Pick your favorite & get it altered, donate the rest 

I'll probably do that.  My one Eileen Fisher washable wool dress (it's still available - all pleated and very lightweight) I may take it to see if it can be worked on.  Dresses are now hard for me to find - size 16 on top, 10 (sometimes 8).  I tried a belt on my one dress and there was just too much material bunched up and it took away from the dress look.  

Slidergirl. Id definitely try to have the EF altered. I understand the dress frustration. I, too, am a 14-16 on top & a 8-10 on bottom. I’ve had the best luck with EF & Athleta (love the Santorini dress). Hope your medical issues are behind you. 

6 hours ago, awhfy said:

Slidergirl. Id definitely try to have the EF altered. I understand the dress frustration. I, too, am a 14-16 on top & a 8-10 on bottom. I’ve had the best luck with EF & Athleta (love the Santorini dress). Hope your medical issues are behind you. 

The medical issues are almost behind me.  I'm getting tired of feeling slightly nauseous every day and just tired.  But thank you for the words.  At least I'm not close to dying like I was last Winter/Spring.  I'm still trying to adjust how I eat - more protein is supposed to help with the nausea, but I'm a salad girl.  I keep forgetting to add chicken or bacon or more beans to my salad... 

I've just got to find a good tailor - not one here in our little town.  I'll have to drive down the mountain to the "big city" to find one.  

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

The medical issues are almost behind me.  I'm getting tired of feeling slightly nauseous every day and just tired.  But thank you for the words.  At least I'm not close to dying like I was last Winter/Spring.  I'm still trying to adjust how I eat - more protein is supposed to help with the nausea, but I'm a salad girl.  I keep forgetting to add chicken or bacon or more beans to my salad... 

I've just got to find a good tailor - not one here in our little town.  I'll have to drive down the mountain to the "big city" to find one.  

Good news!  Living in Colo Spgs has its advantages...

can you add nuts to your salads?

Edited by awhfy

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

A good tailor has saved me so many times. Off the rack jackets never fit me without alteration. And small fixes here and there can make an item go from being just okay to being really flattering.

Hi ladies and Eileen Fisher fans—have any of you checked out Eileen Fisher Renew?  I bought 2 items and they were brand spanking new. I also like it for the sustainability factor.

EF has the best stuff..classic with a twist, great quality.  All of my work clothes for the most part are EF.

https://www.eileenfisherrenew.com/

42 minutes ago, Cool Cowie said:

Hi ladies and Eileen Fisher fans—have any of you checked out Eileen Fisher Renew?  I bought 2 items and they were brand spanking new. I also like it for the sustainability factor.

EF has the best stuff..classic with a twist, great quality.  All of my work clothes for the most part are EF.

https://www.eileenfisherrenew.com/

Not familiar with their sizing but sounds/looks like a great idea.

I took this navy EF dress to Italy last year.  I loved it so much, I bought the same dress in black.  I can wash it, roll it in a towel, and it is dry by the next morning!  I’ve said I’m going to go on a trip with just the 2 dresses and various accessories , but I haven’t gotten the courage to do that yet.

4FC04030-DE65-48CA-A1D2-47A7615EF2F5.jpeg

On 9/9/2019 at 12:24 PM, awhfy said:

Good news!  Living in Colo Spgs has its advantages...

can you add nuts to your salads?

I do.  I always have a bag of almonds around.  They are my snack.  I carry a big bag of them to work and nibble on them all night. It is just taking time, a bit longer than I hoped, to get used to the "new normal."  I'll get there.  

Living in a beautiful mountain town has its advantages and disadvantages...

For my jackets, I've been lucky to find that the Halogen brand from Nordstrom fits me well.  And, the price point is very reasonable.  I do have 3 of them that I bought the last 2 years that I do have to get tailored - I can overlap the buttons by about 2 inches and they are hanging a little too much.    I bought a jacket the other week on the Nordstrom sale - Vince Camuto.  I took a chance and bought a size smaller than I usually do; I was shocked that it fit!  I could use a little longer sleeve, but it's stretch and I just scrunch up the arms - I'm leaning over a Front Desk all of the time, anyway.  It's also a good jacket to wear with jeans if I want to "make the effort" to go out to dinner.   

Anyone who wants to do a ***** for a cruise, I'm up for it 😉

I went to that EFRenew site to take a look.  There was my dress, in M, in brown!  I  bought it - I need another dress to wear with boots at work...

On 9/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, bbstx said:

I took this navy EF dress to Italy last year.  I loved it so much, I bought the same dress in black.  I can wash it, roll it in a towel, and it is dry by the next morning!  I’ve said I’m going to go on a trip with just the 2 dresses and various accessories , but I haven’t gotten the courage to do that yet.

4FC04030-DE65-48CA-A1D2-47A7615EF2F5.jpeg

Do you know the name of this particular style?

I’m sorry I do not know the name of the dress.  I bought it from Nordstrom but is now sold out.  

I find Chico's clothes fit me well especially their Travelers line. I am a 5' 4" curvy size 16 top and bottom with a slim waist. I found this one for a late October western med cruise. I see it dressed up, or down, with colorful scarves and bling. 

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/zenergy+upf+neema+knitinset+dress/570249474?color=1249&catId=clearance

It's also on Amazon. 

Alaskanb, thanks for the suggestion and link! I just oredered the black version. It's on sale for less than $20!

On 9/18/2019 at 2:16 AM, Brownie54 said:

Alaskanb, thanks for the suggestion and link! I just oredered the black version. It's on sale for less than $20!

Mine was even less than that with a discount applied! Quite a bargain.

UPDATE:  I bought my EF washable wool pleated dress on the Renew site in a Medium in Brown (all they had).  It came yesterday.  I just tried it on - it fits PERFECTLY!  Now, I can take my Large Black to a tailor and see if the brown one can be matched (maybe even a little more tailored at the waist).  Thanks for that link!!! That dress was a third of what I would have paid on Garnet Hill for the same dress.  If it was a little cooler today, I'd wear it to work tonight!  I'm not a dress person at all, but I know that a dress is needed for some occasions.  So, now I have 4 dresses, depending on the situation, to pull from.   Otherwise, it's jeans or leggings for me, day in, day out (except for my work pants & jackets, of course)!

Good deal on the Renew site!  You have to keep stalking it but its worth a look see.

All of my EF clothes are black, cream and grey—easy to interchange.  I’m off to take a look right now 🙂

Edited by Cool Cowie