Cruise Critic Community
SpainAlien

Do any ships still have towel animals?

I know that back in April NCL announced that they were running a trial on some ships to see what effect eliminating towel animals had on the environment but does any one know which ships were affected and are there any ships left that still do them?

We had towel animals in April but did not, even with children, this week on the Sun. Don't count on seeing them ......

I’d not given it a thought until I saw this thread, but we didn’t have any on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks everyone. We will be in Spirit in December, I guess we won't get them then 😞

I read that you can request them from your room stewart, on some ships. We are sailing in October. I plan to request them for all cabins in my group. Ive seen recent pictures of them so someone is still making them. 🤗

The policy is to not make animals. But room stewards are allowed to do them on request. 

A few of our friends on the Joy a couple of weeks ago

6F41E7BC-40A9-4FFD-8AD1-7FCCA63DF662.jpeg

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The policy is to not make animals. But room stewards are allowed to do them on request. 

A few of our friends on the Joy a couple of weeks ago

6F41E7BC-40A9-4FFD-8AD1-7FCCA63DF662.jpeg

Very cute! I definitely want some. Hahaha. 

We requested them on our recent cruise in June to Alaska on the Joy.  We did tip our room steward extra for this.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We sail a lot and have never had an alligator before. That about 7 towels going to the laundry. 

Right and by an overworked room steward. If my 9 and 12 year old daughters can do without them, grown ups sure as hell should be able to. Give your steward a break ....

41 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Right and by an overworked room steward. If my 9 and 12 year old daughters can do without them, grown ups sure as hell should be able to. Give your steward a break ....

We gave him a some spending money in exchange for a couple of minutes of his time. 

It is available upon request but the explanation I was given made sesne. Just imagine over 1200 cabins per ship average of 2 towels of different sizes times 6 days (no animal on day 1) per week per ship = over 14000 towels unnecessarily sent to the laundry. It is about time they stop this! 

However perhaps ok for children only!

gerry1.10

We had them every night last week on the Gem.  We were in a Suite, though, and I had my 6 year old with me - who the room steward took a liking to.  

2 hours ago, gerry1.10 said:

It is available upon request but the explanation I was given made sesne. Just imagine over 1200 cabins per ship average of 2 towels of different sizes times 6 days (no animal on day 1) per week per ship = over 14000 towels unnecessarily sent to the laundry. It is about time they stop this! 

However perhaps ok for children only!

gerry1.10

But you need towels anyhow - why would it make a difference to the laundry if they give you a towel in animal form, or folded up?

We were on the Escape last month and no towel animals.  The CD said they were finished on all NCL ships.

15 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

But you need towels anyhow - why would it make a difference to the laundry if they give you a towel in animal form, or folded up?

I wish it was the case. The animal towels are in ADDITION to the folded towels they placed for your daily use. Most of the animal towels ended up to the laundry without being used! 

3 minutes ago, gerry1.10 said:

I wish it was the case. The animal towels are in ADDITION to the folded towels they placed for your daily use. Most of the animal towels ended up to the laundry without being used! 

...that would explain why we seemed to be overflowing with towels when I was on the Pearl, lol.  We always enjoyed the animals, and then added them to our bathroom.

Maybe the solution then is to keep doing towel animals, but stop doing folded towels. 😉

Pearl last June we had towel animals every night for 14 nights

We just got off the Escape (9/1/19) and our cabin steward told us that NCL had discontinued towel animals as part of their efforts to be more green.  That said, our steward indulged our kids a few times during our trip - they loved it!

I was on the Breakaway last April and had a towel animal left on the bed one night.  It was left in the room for a couple of days.  The only problem...to this day, I'm not sure what animal it was 🤣
20190501_235851.thumb.jpg.2c25ab628b47afe367040aa1980acffe.jpg