Ships changing ports

denmarks

Grand is home-ported in San Francisco through 2020, although in the summer she will be doing Vancouver-Whittier runs. In October-December she moves to Singapore, via Los Angeles and Japan.

Ruby goes to Australia/NZ for our winter, comes back to Seattle and does Alaska from May-Sept 2020.  From Oct 2020 to April 2021 she is in Francisco and does coastal/Hawaii/Mexico from there.

The Grand is moving up to Vancouver and then off to Asia.  

In the meantime, the Star will be home ported in San Francisco for a short time and then will be replaced by the Ruby.  While never having sailed on the Ruby, I wish they'd leave the Star here in San Francisco as it rarely gets hot in this port of call and we need a ship that has an indoor pool, which the Ruby does not have.  

On another note, Carnival is home porting the Miracle in San Francisco starting next year ... so, Princess will have a little competition ... not that I think Princess and Carnival necessarily attract the same demographics.  

14 minutes ago, denmarks said:

So it is Star in 2020 and Ruby in 2021 for SF to Hawaii. What about LA to Hawaii.

REVISE: Looks like Ruby is Oct 2020 for Hawaii.

I don't believe the Star is doing any SF roundtrip to Hawaii sailings.  I think she is only slated to do Alaska starting in May 2020, when the Grand goes north.  She will also do  some Pacific Coastal itineraries after the Alaska season and then it looks like the Ruby takes over in San Francisco in the fall of 2020.  The Ruby will include the Hawaiian roundtrip itineraries out of SF, as well as roundtrip Pacific Coastal (both north to Canada and south to Mexico) and Mexico.  

And, the Star looks like she will be going to Los Angeles roundtrip sailings after the Ruby takes over and will do some Hawaii (with one South Pacific sailing) and Mexico itineraries.  

A lot of switching ships around in the next couple of years!  

10 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Golden is sold?  Well darn - I’m going to miss her.  Guess I’ll just have to book an Australian cruise one of these days.  😉

You wouldn't want to do an Australian cruise on P&O, no matter what ship they have.

When P&O gets the Golden it will be retrofitted and renamed.  I have not heard good things on these boards about P&O but have never been on their ships.  I am scheduled on the Ruby leaving SF in March 2021 and happy about it.  It appears the Star is going to San Pedro. after the AK cruises.   

The Grand is moving up to Vancouver and then off to Asia.  
In the meantime, the Star will be home ported in San Francisco for a short time and then will be replaced by the Ruby.  While never having sailed on the Ruby, I wish they'd leave the Star here in San Francisco as it rarely gets hot in this port of call and we need a ship that has an indoor pool, which the Ruby does not have.  
On another note, Carnival is home porting the Miracle in San Francisco starting next year ... so, Princess will have a little competition ... not that I think Princess and Carnival necessarily attract the same demographics.  

I totally agree I never understood why you send the ruby to Alaska when you can use the grand class ships able to use that indoor pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Grand is home-ported in San Francisco through 2020, although in the summer she will be doing Vancouver-Whittier runs. In October-December she moves to Singapore, via Los Angeles and Japan.

Yes the Grand Princess will be home ported for a while in Singapore. After that it is planned to home port her in Southampton. Her next dry dock is scheduled to be in France.

1 hour ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I totally agree I never understood why you send the ruby to Alaska when you can use the grand class ships able to use that indoor pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

480 more passengers = more profit.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, satxdiver said:

When P&O gets the Golden it will be retrofitted and renamed.  I have not heard good things on these boards about P&O but have never been on their ships.  I am scheduled on the Ruby leaving SF in March 2021 and happy about it.  It appears the Star is going to San Pedro. after the AK cruises.   

the Star is supposed to go to PO Australia in late 2021. The last cruise I can find is in May 2021 although other ships show cruises through 2021. 

I'm confused as to why Princess keeps older ships (Sun & Sea) but sends grand class down under to P&O (Golden & Star).  2 other grand class (Diamond & Sapphire) are slated to stay in Asia. I like the grand class ships 😔

Edited: I just looked up the Sapphire and it's got trips from Australia so who's going to Singapore? Aren't they slated for a ship to be homeported there? 

Edited by Ombud

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Why?  I will miss the Golden and Grand (Window Suites).

I'm probably generalizing a touch but many P&O cruises in Australia are booze cruises and the lower end of the market.

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

the Star is supposed to go to PO Australia in late 2021. The last cruise I can find is in May 2021 although other ships show cruises through 2021. 

I'm confused as to why Princess keeps older ships (Sun & Sea) but sends grand class down under to P&O (Golden & Star).  2 other grand class (Diamond & Sapphire) are slated to stay in Asia. I like the grand class ships 😔

Edited: I just looked up the Sapphire and it's got trips from Australia so who's going to Singapore? Aren't they slated for a ship to be homeported there? 

Princess is bringing online quite a few new ships to replace their older more expensive to operate ships.  The Sun and Sea are smaller ships so they keep them to appeal to those that like the much smaller ships that can use ports the big ships cannot.  The market is there for small ship lovers. The Diamond and Sapphire were the only ships built in Japan for the Asian market.  The older grand class ships are on their way out replaced by the royal class ships.  The North American appears to like the newer bigger ships with more amenities.  The market determines what any company does.  On AK cruises the enclosed pool does not do anything for us who come from the southwest where we are able to use our pools 6 months a year. 

• Thanks 1

I personally don't care if the pool is enclosed but I like the promenade which Royal Princess doesn't have (yes I'm on it in 6 weeks but that's bc of itinerary). 

Thanks for the explanation as to why Diamond & Sapphire felt like slightly different grands

11 hours ago, caribill said:

480 more passengers = more profit.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

I think they did the same with the Royal Princess and put her up in Alaska.  She is a beautiful ship but no indoor pool area.  The Retreat Pool does offer a little shelter but still not covered.  

13 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I am fine with the Royal class size.  Just don't make a Behemoth of the Seas clone!!

I like them all small and large. I was quite surprised I liked  Royal and Regal but I think my favorites are the grand class. I guess I will live  though 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

Sadly, my cruising days are numbered with the loss of the grand class ships (Golden, Grand, Star, Sapphire, Diamond....) and the repositioning of the Ruby, Crown, Emerald.  I don't like the size of the Royal (and all of it's modifications).  Not much to choose from leaving San Pedro.  I fly enough and don't want to fly to start a cruise.  

Woe is me...  I missed my opportunities to do the Pacific Princess.  There's still the Coral.  I guess I'll just have to find something else to do with my vacation fund.

Princess, are you listening?  Not that it matters much.  They will not build a smaller ship.  Mega ships are in the pipeline. 

Captain of the Rowboat....do you have room for one more swabby?  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2