Cruise Critic Community
Guest100

Bridge with a Bridge Director onboard

Trying to find out if there will be a bridge director on board the Carnival Ship Splendor for those who wish to play bridge.This cruise has 18 sea days in a total of 25 days.

We talked to 6. different people at the Carnival office with no results.

9 minutes ago, Guest100 said:

Trying to find out if there will be a bridge director on board the Carnival Ship Splendor for those who wish to play bridge.This cruise has 18 sea days in a total of 25 days.

No, there will not be a bridge director. 

On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, Guest100 said:

No but feel free to approach the cruise director and they may be able to announce it in the FunTimes for set days/times. It would have to be something run by you as they don’t usually send staff to manage card games or puzzle activities. Calling Carnival is a waste of time as the people answering have no clue what activities may be included. I’ve cruised 25 times on Carnival and there’s never been a bridge director. 

Bridge Directors onboard cruise ships are a thing of the past.

I have noticed on Princess and Celebrity ships, there have been notices in the daily program pages regarding informal groups gathering to play bridge on their own.

I am not certain if Carnival would post such a listing in the Fun Times as there may not be many passengers interested in a game of bridge. Of course,you could

ask the cruise director if such a posting could be arranged.

Another idea would be to post your interest in playing bridge on the Roll Call here on CC for your particular cruise. Perhaps some others on the Roll Call  would be interested in joining you in some games on those sea days.

4 hours ago, Garth2 said:

But the captain will be directing the ship from the bridge.

Funny,as a lifelong sailor, that's the first thing that came to mind. I never played bridge. 

Interesting link,sanmarcosman.

I noticed the cruise lines listed are many in the luxury category ie. Cunard and Crystal to name a few.

I am certain that bridge lessons and directed bridge games on these ships are in consideration of the passenger demographics found on those ships. 

Also the ship charters with a bridge tournament theme would appeal to those having  a dedicated interest in bridge.

My DH’s aunt was a Bridge Master who enjoyed participating in many tournaments either as a player or as a director. Bridge was her passion. 

The OP was questioning about bridge games on a Carnival cruise. As the article you reference suggested,posting in the Roll Call may be a way of connecting with other bridge players on that particular cruise.

56 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

The OP was questioning about bridge games on a Carnival cruise. As the article you reference suggested,posting in the Roll Call may be a way of connecting with other bridge players on that particular cruise.

I was the first to reply to the OP with: " No, there will not be a bridge director. "

Later in the thread I responded with a link for you who said bridge directors are a thing of the past on all cruise lines. 

And yes, I did read the material at the link I posted and fully realize Carnival did not make the cut for bridge directors and the OP posting to their roll call here on Cruise Critic is a good idea. 

Edited by sanmarcosman

Usually there is a very active Roll Call for longer cruises. PAX will post their interests & form informal groups. Have you joined your Roll Call yet?

When I first saw this thread, I honestly thought you  were talking about the ship's bridge!  Wouldn't the "bridge director" be the Captain?  Hee Hee!  Good things I realized you were talking about cards!