Cruise Critic Community
cruzn buckeye

Half Moon Cay - Dorian impact?

HMC is south-east ish of where the worst of Dorian has hit. HOWEVER, I think it's too soon to know whether it sustained any significant damage. I'd be surprised if anyone from Carnival Corp has been able to get out there yet to survey the island; I don't think it's inhabited regularly; the artisans/shop operators on the island ferry over when there is a ship scheduled. And I would be REALLY surprised if anyone has gone their yet; sea conditions are still not safe.

Edited by lab_love123

Too soon to determine but my guess based on the track is the damage at HMC will be minimal. I would guess for the next couple weeks though the port will be cancelled on Carnival itineraries. 

2 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

HMC is south-east ish of where the worst of Dorian has hit. HOWEVER, I think it's too soon to know whether it sustained any significant damage. I'd be surprised if anyone from Carnival Corp has been able to get out there yet to survey the island; I don't think it's inhabited regularly; the artisans/shop operators on the island ferry over when there is a ship scheduled. And I would be REALLY surprised if anyone has gone their yet; sea conditions are still not safe.

There are residents on HMC. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

There are residents on HMC. 

I wasn’t sure if they’re year round residents, but I looked it up and they are. There are ~45! 

11 minutes ago, lab_love123 said:

I wasn’t sure if they’re year round residents, but I looked it up and they are. There are ~45! 

There is a ranch with horses on the island. Has to be year round. 

According to Holland America cruise lines there was only minor beach erosion that will be fixed.