Jump to content

LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)


Recommended Posts

Dennis looks like he's ready to attack that osso buco, knife in hand!  Perhaps a fork in the other?  😉

 

Continuing to enjoy this thread, and the pictures are just great.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Jackie,

 

i,love the Veal Parmesan in Prego and glad you liked it.

 

thanks for all the posts and pictures.

 

hope you were able to get what you needed in Ketchikan.

 

enjoy,

 

Nancy

 

Yes - love the end of season sales in Ketchikan.  Bought her a nice reversible jacket which will help her in the winter when she is walking dogs outside.  I usually cannot purchase something that heavy (usually give her jewelry) but since we have a private car to where we are parked (by the airport), it will be easy to get to the car and throw everything in.

 

Believe it or not, tonight is Umi Uma ...... can’t stay away from that place (followed by Mark Farris of course).  Such a really talented, kind and delightful man!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

Dennis looks like he's ready to attack that osso buco, knife in hand!  Perhaps a fork in the other?  😉

 

Continuing to enjoy this thread, and the pictures are just great.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

 

Ha ha - didn’t know how tightly he was holding on to the knife.  I suspect that it was the small knife that helps get the marrow out of the bone. He really loved the marrow.

 

Will take our final photos of dinner in Umi Uma tonight.  May try something different to eat  but will stick with the sake to drink.  Does anyone have a recommendation of a nice sake that can be served hot that isn’t horribly expensive?  I seem to have the ability to drink quite a lot of it - feel good - but, do not get drunk or get a headache.  The perfect alcohol for me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Ha ha - didn’t know how tightly he was holding on to the knife.  I suspect that it was the small knife that helps get the marrow out of the bone. He really loved the marrow.

 

Will take our final photos of dinner in Umi Uma tonight.  May try something different to eat  but will stick with the sake to drink.  Does anyone have a recommendation of a nice sake that can be served hot that isn’t horribly expensive?  I seem to have the ability to drink quite a lot of it - feel good - but, do not get drunk or get a headache.  The perfect alcohol for me.  

Just a FYI (please take no offense 😊) In Japan good quality sake is served cold, poor quality is served warm so can't tell/taste the imperfections.  But you should drink it the way you like, just like wine-your taste is all that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Dennis had Osso Buco (great marrow bone - not as good meat as Regent) and I had Veal Parmesan with veal more tender than Regent.  We both had chocolate gelato for dessert (no photos).  I gave this as example where Regent was better for one dish and Crystal for the other.

 

 

 

I admire the ability of you both to precisely remember and compare instances of dishes you had on prior cruises to this particular moment on your current cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

 

I admire the ability of you both to precisely remember and compare instances of dishes you had on prior cruises to this particular moment on your current cruise. 

 

Thank you for your comment.  While food is not our entire life, it is important to us on a cruise line. Dennis only weighs 135 pounds but he really looks forward to excellent food on luxury cruise lines.  Crystal has not disappointed him.

Edited by Travelcat2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick, once again you have taught us something.  I do enjoy cold sake but learned that I could drink unlimited amounts on Regent and not feel a thing (note:  my goal is never to be drunk but to have a mellow buzz).  Do you know of any sake brand (hot or cold) that you enjoy and is not over the top expensive?

 

Thanks much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackie, great photos from your meal in Prego.  I am getting hungry.

 

I wanted to mention that I was actually referring to another poster when I mentioned cherry picking.  I do realize it is human nature tho want what one perceives as the best from multiple products and not just cruising.  Even vehicles come to mind.

 

ATA I often say that experiences vary by cruise and that includes most everything including getting reservations at specialty restaurants.  Flexibility is key and particularly if one is trying to add reservations on a short cruise with high occupancy.  Always best to plan as early as you can as Terry mentioned.

 

On going to the Concierge I have seen people do this.  The actually will look at the same database as the operator could or the front desk people do to see if something is open.  If it is open they could book it like any of these other people can.  On the other hand the butlers go directly to the Specialty Restaurant Maitre d' or if not available the Specialty Restaurant Head Waiter.  They have a little more flexibility.  And as mentioned you can go to them directly particularly if the butler already advised they couldn't get a table.  

 

There are definitely cruises that if one is not flexible they will not get a table and even with flexibility if they wait to far into the cruise there might be a situation where no tables are available on a particular night or nights.  And this is even after tables which under normal circumstances have not been assigned have been assigned.  This is why there are times where the experience on a short cruise can be different than a long cruise with respect to how busy the restaurants are and its impact on food preparation and the waitstaff/service.  It is a nicer experience IMHO when they are not running at max capacity.  The same is true at restaurants on land.

 

Keith

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rick, once again you have taught us something.  I do enjoy cold sake but learned that I could drink unlimited amounts on Regent and not feel a thing (note:  my goal is never to be drunk but to have a mellow buzz).  Do you know of any sake brand (hot or cold) that you enjoy and is not over the top expensive?

 

Thanks much.

Sorry I can't help you, we no longer drink ourselves.  No problem but 5 years ago we stopped.  We do have a bar in the house and do service when we have guest.  I just remember the sake deal when working in Japan before retirement.  If you found something you like on the ship, I'm pretty sure they don't use top shelf--price it out at Total Wine for BevMor.  But I'll ask some friends that enjoy sake and get back to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackie, Just one more thing about Dennis swelling---with the way you've been eating (Osso Buco, Sushi/soy sauce and so on) he's taken in a lot of extra salt he most likely get at home.  That also can cause swelling of the ankles---when you see the Doctor it would hurt to add a sodium to his blood test.  This happens to a lot of people---I know on cruises I eat more Ice Cream, Burgers and Bread during those 15 to 18 cruise days--my sugar level goes up. I think if all of us visited the Doctor when we get home and have a blood test---Oh My😂.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On our May-June cruise from Tokyo to San Francisco we had an additional benefit from photograph staff. One was the Crystal representative on tour where we saw breads and moose. He provided help and advice for all on how to get best pictures. A Crystal befit and not unexpected 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Jackie, Just one more thing about Dennis swelling---with the way you've been eating (Osso Buco, Sushi/soy sauce and so on) he's taken in a lot of extra salt he most likely get at home.  That also can cause swelling of the ankles---when you see the Doctor it would hurt to add a sodium to his blood test.  This happens to a lot of people---I know on cruises I eat more Ice Cream, Burgers and Bread during those 15 to 18 cruise days--my sugar level goes up. I think if all of us visited the Doctor when we get home and have a blood test---Oh My😂.

Have to "correct" you Rick here if you don't mind. While it is true that extra salty food could cause swelling of ankles, it would be in BOTH legs. Also usually we don't see elevated sodium level in cases like that. 

By the way I enjoy most of your posts.(and Jackie's)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, docmark said:

Have to "correct" you Rick here if you don't mind. While it is true that extra salty food could cause swelling of ankles, it would be in BOTH legs. Also usually we don't see elevated sodium level in cases like that. 

By the way I enjoy most of your posts.(and Jackie's)

I understand what you are saying, I thought it can start in one first--also when cruising I hear people complain about this.  I'm not a doctor, just playing it safe-but don't want to alarm anyone.  Thanks for the information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I understand what you are saying, I thought it can start in one first--also when cruising I hear people complain about this.  I'm not a doctor, just playing it safe-but don't want to alarm anyone.  Thanks for the information.

The swelling could be related to his fractured ankle

 

DH broke his a few years ago  & some days it does have some swelling still

rest/ elevate usually helps

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, TC, I just posted a question about diet soft drinks. Then it dawned on me that you're on board the Symphony and could maybe know the answer. If you've got the time and inclination, could you ask the bartender what kind of diet soft drinks they have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Jackie, great photos from your meal in Prego.  I am getting hungry.

 

I wanted to mention that I was actually referring to another poster when I mentioned cherry picking.  I do realize it is human nature tho want what one perceives as the best from multiple products and not just cruising.  Even vehicles come to mind.

 

ATA I often say that experiences vary by cruise and that includes most everything including getting reservations at specialty restaurants.  Flexibility is key and particularly if one is trying to add reservations on a short cruise with high occupancy.  Always best to plan as early as you can as Terry mentioned.

 

On going to the Concierge I have seen people do this.  The actually will look at the same database as the operator could or the front desk people do to see if something is open.  If it is open they could book it like any of these other people can.  On the other hand the butlers go directly to the Specialty Restaurant Maitre d' or if not available the Specialty Restaurant Head Waiter.  They have a little more flexibility.  And as mentioned you can go to them directly particularly if the butler already advised they couldn't get a table.  

 

There are definitely cruises that if one is not flexible they will not get a table and even with flexibility if they wait to far into the cruise there might be a situation where no tables are available on a particular night or nights.  And this is even after tables which under normal circumstances have not been assigned have been assigned.  This is why there are times where the experience on a short cruise can be different than a long cruise with respect to how busy the restaurants are and its impact on food preparation and the waitstaff/service.  It is a nicer experience IMHO when they are not running at max capacity.  The same is true at restaurants on land.

 

Keith

 

 

Keith, I do agree with you about experiences and getting reservations. And about being flexible. We did originally give several dates and times based on reservations we already had booked plus one shore excursion that included dinner. 🙂 And we tend to dine later anyway which is usually a bit more flexible for the restaurants.

 

Well in this case it actually went higher than the concierge as they spoke to the hotel manager only because of the missed opportunity with the butler (and the restaurant) not informing us. 

 

We did try and book online before the cruise but were shut out which is why the first thing we did when we met our butler was to ask him to try. If we hadn't run into the situation where we were booked but no one informed us, but it was just a situation where there were no more reservations, I certainly would have understood and would have been fine with it. After all, we go on several cruises a year and missing Prego on one 7 day cruise wouldn't have been such a big deal for us although we did want our children to experience the service and food there.

 

Bottom line is Crystal did try and bend over backwards to accommodate us and make us happy which is what they always try and do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AtA said:

Keith, I do agree with you about experiences and getting reservations. And about being flexible. We did originally give several dates and times based on reservations we already had booked plus one shore excursion that included dinner. 🙂 And we tend to dine later anyway which is usually a bit more flexible for the restaurants.

 

Well in this case it actually went higher than the concierge as they spoke to the hotel manager only because of the missed opportunity with the butler (and the restaurant) not informing us. 

 

We did try and book online before the cruise but were shut out which is why the first thing we did when we met our butler was to ask him to try. If we hadn't run into the situation where we were booked but no one informed us, but it was just a situation where there were no more reservations, I certainly would have understood and would have been fine with it. After all, we go on several cruises a year and missing Prego on one 7 day cruise wouldn't have been such a big deal for us although we did want our children to experience the service and food there.

 

Bottom line is Crystal did try and bend over backwards to accommodate us and make us happy which is what they always try and do.

Thank you for sharing the details on what the concierge did.  On our last cruise while I was waiting to see the concierge two ladies ahead of me were asking him to make specialty restaurant reservations so I though that is what you were having him/her do.  They access the same database as the one that the operator and reception people do.  I now see you were having the concierge escalate the issue for you. 

Full disclosure.  I was not trying to eavesdrop on the two ladies ahead of me on their conversation with the concierge.  I always stay far back whether I am waiting for the concierge, reception or shore excursion staff out of respect.  This one was easy to hear because the two guests were speaking very loud; not in anger but for whatever reason.  😱

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you for sharing the details on what the concierge did.  On our last cruise while I was waiting to see the concierge two ladies ahead of me were asking him to make specialty restaurant reservations so I though that is what you were having him/her do.  They access the same database as the one that the operator and reception people do.  I now see you were having the concierge escalate the issue for you. 

Full disclosure.  I was not trying to eavesdrop on the two ladies ahead of me on their conversation with the concierge.  I always stay far back whether I am waiting for the concierge, reception or shore excursion staff out of respect.  This one was easy to hear because the two guests were speaking very loud; not in anger but for whatever reason.  😱

 

Keith

And I do want to state another thing. We do not normally try and escalate a situation. We find that it's best to work with either the butler or the Maitre'd (or whatever the service is you're needing) and I know they do their best to accommodate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the ideas about Dennis' ankle and also for the sake recommendations.  Very much appreciated!

 

Our last day onboard is going to be busy but will try to learn more about diet soft drinks (should have done that for us as our refrigerators do not have diet drinks (but do have Pellagrino which is soooooo much better than the "fizzy water" that is served around the rest of the ship).  

 

We kindly declined the tour of the bridge as it conflicted with our upcoming lecture/class.  After that I need to shop (and for any Regent people reading this thread, the Boutique on Regent has lower priced items than on Crystal …… everything is priced so high that the $325 that we have left will not go very far.  

 

After that is packing time.  We will be at home 24 hours from now (and it is 9:45 a.m. as I write this ……. our driver will be here at 8:15 a.m. and we hope to get to the car in a half an hour or so and then a one hour drive home.  As an aside, while we have been gone, the city that we live in had the worst thunder and lightning storm in generations.  This did not please our kitties very much (they are getting extra attention from our pet sitter).  Anxious to get home to calm them.  Then we are off to Reno next month for our vow renewal ceremony and will be on Explorer in November.  Looking forward to a wonderful last quarter of 2019!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...