LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Glad to hear that it worked.  As mentioned, it took an hour to upload and I didn’t want to move from our table in the Marketplace lest I lose the whole thing:-)

A suggestion if I may to you and others...try shooting photos and videos like the bear video in landscape mode (horizontal) rather than portrait mode (vertical).  I think you'll like the results better.  I doubt very much that when you watch TV or go to the movies that you watch in portrait mode but rather in landscape mode.

Thanks for the photography tip!

To be honest, I am quite worn out as we are not used to 7 night cruises.  One barely unpacks and gets accustomed to the ship and it is time to go home.  

So, rather than pushing myself, I’ll take the night off and resume in a couple of days from home.  I’ll check and see if I missed any photos and will include photos from this evenings dinner in Silk.  Despite some harsh criticism of Silk, the menu looks really good to us and the Sweet & Sour soup with crab sounds delightful.  

QA

Of course, there will be final thoughts and some ramblings about Crystal vs. Regent (or Regent vs. Crystal - whichever works for you).  

We will be off of the ship at 8:15 a.m. (think I may have said that already).  

Thank you all for your kindness on a Cruise Critic board that I rarely visit.  I’ve also enjoyed the interaction of both Crystal and Regent customers on the same thread.  

Will be back in a couple of days.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Very funny story.  Think that my DH should wear sunglasses and his tennis shoes but he may be too old to pull it off.  

He is doing ok but the swelling in his healing fractured ankle could be better.  

I’m thinking Tony Bennett . . . . 😉

11 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I was born in Des Moines (not Iowa!).  I hope it's sunny for you when you get home!

Last time I was in Des Moines it was in Iowa - has it moved ??

Jackie - have a smooth ride home, comfort those lovely cats and relax.  You have been working way over-time on this cruise and we are all grateful.  Now you need another cruise to get over the last one!!!

Gerry

3 hours ago, NJBeaglemom said:

There is a Des Moines in Washington as well. It is right by the Puget Sound south of Seattle.

And interestingly while the s in Moines is silent in Iowa, it is pronounced for the Moines in Washington. and the Des Moines in Washington is really close to Seattle right next to Sea Tac Airport.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Rick, once again you have taught us something.  I do enjoy cold sake but learned that I could drink unlimited amounts on Regent and not feel a thing (note:  my goal is never to be drunk but to have a mellow buzz).  Do you know of any sake brand (hot or cold) that you enjoy and is not over the top expensive?

Thanks much.

Jackie, I asked my friend that drinks Sake (so if you don't like these don't blame me🤗) Three that they like, #1 Rihaku Wandering Poet $29 for 720ml, #2 Gekkeikan Black & Gold $8 for 750ml, # Kurosawa Sake Junmai Kimoto $17 for 720ml.  OK try at your own risk🙄.  They say very all very good.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Jackie, I asked my friend that drinks Sake (so if you don't like these don't blame me🤗) Three that they like, #1 Rihaku Wandering Poet $29 for 720ml, #2 Gekkeikan Black & Gold $8 for 750ml, # Kurosawa Sake Junmai Kimoto $17 for 720ml.  OK try at your own risk🙄.  They say very all very good.

Well they’re not going to break the bank 

The standard pour Sakes in Umi Uma are also nice - so maybe it’s just as easy to sample them 

By the way there is also a Matsuhisa Chardonnay exclusive (but included as part of All Inclusive)  poured in Umi Uma (and other restaurants onboard if you find the right Somellier 😉 ) which is a very nice accompaniment to many of the dishes - $60 a bottle in Nobu’s restaurants - I see it’s from Russian River - no wonder I like it!

Edited by Stickman1990

Rick and Stickman - thanks for the suggestions.  We had a lot of sake both in Umi Uma on Crystal and Pacific Rim on Regent but never asked for the brand they use until now.  I know that cold sake is the way to go and I can drink way more it without feeling any effects than when I drink hot sake.  It depends upon my mood and my mood was hot sake on Crystal.

Got home by 10:15 a.m. this morning after being driven by Crystal’s private transportation (nice benefit for a newbie). Still pondering the experiences.  I want to give it the right amount of thought before reviewing the experience.  You all know that we enjoyed the cruise but I want to be more specific and less generalized.

Pondering:

1A8DEAC7-8550-4112-8652-BF1938911136.jpeg

On 9/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you all for your kindness on a Cruise Critic board that I rarely visit.  I’ve also enjoyed the interaction of both Crystal and Regent customers on the same thread. 

You are very welcome.  And a big thanks to you for your observations from a new perspective.  I can't really find fault with any of your comments and will say that you have been more than fair and open-minded.

All of which goes to show -- there is no "perfect" cruiseline because all lines make choices on what they provide for their customers.  And at what price point.  It's up to us, as customers, to indicate our preferences with our purchases.   And above all, to be as knowledgeable as possible when we make those choices.

You have helped that dissemination of information.  Glad you are home safe and sound.

Yes, welcome home to...Bellingham, I'm guessing? 😃  I've really enjoyed following your posts. Did you end up dining at Silk on the final night, as you indicated you might? Curious to know what you ordered and how you liked it.  We're thinking of booking Silk for the first night...

1 hour ago, late2cruisin said:

Yes, welcome home to...Bellingham, I'm guessing? 😃  I've really enjoyed following your posts. Did you end up dining at Silk on the final night, as you indicated you might? Curious to know what you ordered and how you liked it.  We're thinking of booking Silk for the first night...

FYI....Waterside (aka Main Dining Room) serves a great crab & brie soup on the first evening of every cruise (or at least all that I've been on).  So I've never been tempted to go specialty on night number one.

Jackie, welcome home.  I wish I could take a Crystal Cruise with no flights involved and be home sooner rather than later.

Reflection is wise.  It's great to have time to unwind at home and think things through.

Thanks for authoring multiple threads which is no easy task and I enjoyed your photos and narrative.

You are example of many people who are now trying Crystal because of the evolution they have gone through the past several years.  While some people didn't want some of the changes to occur they were designed to attract not only first time luxury cruisers but cruisers of other luxury lines.  

Those of us who can sail on any cruise line are fortunate let alone sail on a luxury line.  

Since every experience is different I hope you will sail Crystal again if the right itinerary comes along for the two of you.

Keith

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

FYI....Waterside (aka Main Dining Room) serves a great crab & brie soup on the first evening of every cruise (or at least all that I've been on).  So I've never been tempted to go specialty on night number one.

Oh, that changes everything! I love brie and I love crab (though I can't imagine them together in a soup...). Is there anything else that they typically serve on the first night?

Thanks for the info about the various "Des Moines" Dave and Beaglemom.  I learnt a long time ago not to expect the names of US towns to be pronounced anyway similar to the "original" European town!!  Warwick UK (warrick) and Warwick NY (War -Wick) for example!!!  Fond du Lac WI is of course another.  But I had not idea there was more than one Des Moines.  Those monks certainly got around!!

4 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks for the info about the various "Des Moines" Dave and Beaglemom.  I learnt a long time ago not to expect the names of US towns to be pronounced anyway similar to the "original" European town!!  Warwick UK (warrick) and Warwick NY (War -Wick) for example!!!  Fond du Lac WI is of course another.  But I had not idea there was more than one Des Moines.  Those monks certainly got around!!

And not just Europe- don't forget Lima, Ohio (pronounced like lima beans)!

Not directly related but I find Regent's advertising very good  I get brochures from them all the time and, personally,  i think they are better than the Crystal ones.  I was on one Regent cruise many years ago and I found the on board experience no where as  nice as Crystal's but I'm sure they attract  a lot of new customers with their nice brochure and  the more inclusive sounding offerings.

I’m curious what the barriers would be to building a better on board experience?  Cost?  Finding talent?  I agree that the offerings can get a bit lame and I rarely participate except for attending lectures.  Hallway games, Bingo, game deck events, and beauty pitches by spa staff are not my cup of tea.  I may be in the minority, but even the cooking and cocktail demonstrations were a bit lame.  

I really like the idea of more substantive classes (at different levels).   We did have a digital photography class on the South Pacific Cruise but it was geared towards absolute beginners who didn’t even know how to use their devices.  

On one cruise I asked if we could have a star gazing event.  Over 100 passengers showed up on the top deck, the lights were dimmed and an officer helped to guide us along.  Many of us had iPad apps, too.   It was really fun!  

I’m back with a few pictures that I think that I forgot to post.  This was from the 

Asian buffet and shows how nice the small little dishes of food are.  I know that Regent does small plates on a few items but I bet this is a money saver and helps to not waste food.

B56F1C35-581E-49FD-B445-BC2991B0B92E.jpeg

015ED64F-A26E-454E-BDC5-683D15421E6A.jpeg

803A1BA7-5C95-4160-9372-EE1EB9B1E687.jpeg

Silk - where do I begin.  The best way to describe it is ..... poor atmosphere ......... mediocre food and service (the only area where this occurred).  The photos do it too much justice as it is not as good as it may look.

EDBC8F2C-A722-4BAB-ABA5-FA2817FC7E97.jpeg

0E7C404B-47B9-452A-9CCF-06090F5FAEAC.jpeg

F7C2BBBB-AE32-44EF-B9B1-7A93F616B874.jpeg