Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)

Jackie

Remember that on our Norway cruise, I had no luggage the entire 20 day sailing. 

All I had were my black sneakers. I wore them every evening with my slacks and no one even noticed. At least, no one said anything and I didn’t even get a nasty look. 

Tell Dennis to do what is best for his health. After all, it’s only a cruise. Enjoy!

Hugs

Sheila

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

One thing that I do not understand is why the best suites (all the various PH suites) under the pool deck.  Just like Regent and other ships, there is scraping of chairs, people walking/running, etc.  Not a good choice in my opinion.

Perhaps fewer people to complain.

Jackie - I'm interested in how people dress in the evening, not the dress code so much.  We really like Regents country club casual.

Chuck, this is a short cruise so every night is casual (like country club casual except "dress jeans" are permitted).  Not going to belabor this point but two men were in the sloppiest jeans that I've seen.  End of that subject.

Sheila - I do remember when you had no luggage.  We had no luggage in Norway for 10 nights but you doubled that number (not necessarily a good record to break:-)

Only have a few minutes.  Dinner at the Japanese Restaurant (the name escapes me - something like Uma Umi) was good.  Dennis' Wagu (misspelled?) steak was the best that he has ever had (as was his shrimp - think it was tempera battered rock shrimp which he rarely finds anywhere).  My food was okay - nothing to shout about.  Had a lobster tempura appetizer, salmon sashimi (loved that they asked me how many pieces that I wanted), a strange mushroom soup and miso glazed sea bass.  The only thing that I really didn't like was the salmon sashimi which is odd as I can eat 20 pieces of it when it meets my taste requirements.  Tomorrow I will remember to take my camera.

Went to the show (it was too loud for Dennis so he went to the computer room).  Short comment on the computers - as mentioned, they are Apple computers that have Windows on it -- quite unusual.  Most of the show was the best that we have seen at sea.  I knew that Crystal had great entertainment and it did not disappoint.

Next is Avenue Saloon which everyone that I know that has sailed on Crystal says is a must with this particular pianist.  Got to go - trying to post on two boards is difficult at best.

2 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

JMariner,

I absolutely disagree - one of the things I love about Regent is boarding a ship and being greeted by a variety of staff/crew I've sailed with on any one of the 4 ships. I've gone from the Serenity to the Symphony and although the staff is very nice, I knew none of them, I could have been boarding a totally different line.

I have sailed on both ships - mostly on Serenity - and now, do know some on each ship.

Peggy

Really, when we check in at Regent--it's a counter of local people checking you in.  It's not until you get on the ship do we see Regent crew--that's been our experience.

Think I’ll stay away from the check-in topic.  I must admit that sometimes I do wish that staff did not change ships so often on Regent.  I haven’t sailed with some wonderful officers and crew members in a long time because they are always on different ships than we are on.  Even if they stayed on a particular ship for a year it would be nice IMHO.

Will try to post some photos (not of food since I obviously forgot my camera for both lunch and dinner). This is too weird, I only see one photo but I took tons.  If I didn’t know better I would think that the sake got to me (it didn’t:-)

So, this is a photo of a cubby hole in the bathroom where the bath towels, shampoo, conditioner, etc. are located.  Not very impressive from the photo but the bathroom is very impressive

2641DA99-7467-4CB6-8726-3A03C35C3C23.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

Took a few pictures (the suite was less messy when I took the first ones).

First photo is a pretty crappy photo of the living room (the black thing on the wall is the television)

The second is a long shot of the dining room table and chandelier (which I like)

The last photo is of the bar area.  Lots of alcohol but I will only be drinking a bit of tequila.  There are two refrigerators below this area but it is too dark to take a photo at the moment.

A5951CDE-29A3-41E1-9474-1F2433D2BE7D.jpeg

666E7057-CA3D-4DFC-AD43-3F039DA632D1.jpeg

D452180A-079D-467F-882E-93C52A7E0F29.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

Three more:

First is the beds that have been split because Dennis does not duvets and I do (Regent has a great way of putting one on half of the bed but not the other side (didn’t mean to make a comparison)

The second rather dark photo is of the drawers in the bedroom.  Tons of storage space.

Last is “my” closet (Dennis’ closet is too dark and I can’t figure out how to put the light at the moment.  Again, plenty of drawers in there.

76DC59F2-1E1A-4332-9287-D330FCCCE7A9.jpeg

4050DF87-C006-478A-AAC8-97BB5A21D768.jpeg

07E231CD-6C39-4EC0-AD6F-90661C59FE5F.jpeg

Going to bed but one last photo........ the cubby hole/office that I’m writing from.  Plenty of plugs, etc.  Very comfortable and out of the way!

A87C8D39-4D2C-4A12-99A7-1AF912A14F5A.jpeg

6 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Yes, sounds like you're really off to a nice cruise.  Your boarding sounds like a super plus of Regent, surprise even Oceania does this when you're in a OS.  I think being greeted and taken to your suite is class for a nice size suite.  Don't know why Regent doesn't do that. (Well, Mr. Jason?).

Looking forward to your thinking about your cruise.  Have fun and lot's of it!🤗

The car service is a nice touch also, even if yo0u had a mix-up.  So far it looks like Crystal 2👍 --Regent 0👎

We were in an Owners Suite on Oceania - no one took us to the suite!!  Must be a new thing perhaps?   Sounds rather nice though.

Ronrick1943

I was talking about being ON the ship, seeing Regent people - as far as I know, all cruise lines use local people on the pier. If I wasn't clear about that, I'm sorry.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
correction

7 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We were in an Owners Suite on Oceania - no one took us to the suite!!  Must be a new thing perhaps?   Sounds rather nice though.

This was the case on a December cruise we took out of Miami last year. Only time out of 8 cruises-it really was a nice touch.  They also had a special menu for lunch in the OS for the first afternoon in the suite  right after boarding the ship, also a nice touch.  Table was pre-set and ready to go.  Also very unexpected menu, that nice.

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Most of the show was the best that we have seen at sea.  I knew that Crystal had great entertainment and it did not disappoint.

Jackie, what was the name of the show?  I will be interested in hearing how you think it compares to Paradis when you sail on  the Explorer, that is the best that I have seen at sea.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

This was the case on a December cruise we took out of Miami last year. Only time out of 8 cruises-it really was a nice touch.  They also had a special menu for lunch in the OS for the first afternoon in the suite  right after boarding the ship, also a nice touch.  Table was pre-set and ready to go.  Also very unexpected menu, that nice.

That IS lovely!!   Wish they had done that for us.  We were in the Owner's Suite for a TA cruise about 4 years ago...

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

My food was okay - nothing to shout about.  Had a lobster tempura appetizer, salmon sashimi (loved that they asked me how many pieces that I wanted), a strange mushroom soup and miso glazed sea bass.  

I guess Crystal has changed.  In the past the Japanese restaurant served miso glazed black cod which I think is the best dish served on any luxury cruise ship.

7 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

I guess Crystal has changed.  In the past the Japanese restaurant served miso glazed black cod which I think is the best dish served on any luxury cruise ship.

Nobu serves miso glazed cod. We have a Nobu restaurant here in Aspen named Matsuhisa. It is a wonderful dish and preparation.

9 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Sorry, i had my fish confused. Thanks for the correction.

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry, i had my fish confused. Thanks for the correction.

Nobu also has a sea bass with miso and black bean? It probably depends what is freshly available. Regardless, almost all is yummy. 

If they have the yellowtail with jalapeño, you must try it, especially since you love sashimi.

19 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

I'm thinking she meant the black cod. 

2 minutes ago, AtA said:

I'm thinking she meant the black cod. 

Thanks, TC2 has already confirmed it was black cod.  To me, Regent's miso sea bass doesn't hold a candle to Crystal's miso black cod.  I do eat Regent's miso sea bass every time I go to Pacific Rim.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

Still not making comparisons but admit that I mixed up my fish on a prior post.

Being an Asian owned company, the Asian food is amazing.  We were about to dine in the Chinese restaurant for lunch when the bartender shared with us the fact that Crystal only does the Asian buffet on sea days.  He recommended that we go to the La Veranda equivalent for the buffet.  To quote Dennis "Every bite of food is a door that opens into wonderment".  It was fabulous and I finally found the type of salmon sushi that I love.  They also have lots of very small plates (photos later) which gives one the opportunity to try dishes without taking a lot of something - deciding that it isn't something that they like and it is left on on the plate (a savings for Crystal as well).

Both computer classes were great and I like the fact that, while on the ship, we can download and print notes from the lectures.  In about 5 minutes we go to the Magic Castle show (intimate show for about 16 people).

I think that I look at Crystal from a different perspective.  For instance, I heard that it was a challenge (based on reports on the Crystal board) to have open seating.  I now get it.  They open specialty restaurants for lunch in order to accommodate the overload in other dining venues.  When we had lunch in the main dining room yesterday, it was packed and some tables for two were so close together that one could almost bump elbows with the table next to you (not a complaint - just an observation).  The other area that is amazing small is the main theater (they have a few smaller theaters as well).  They do two shows as there is no way that all passengers could be accommodated in the main theater (I question whether it will accommodate all passengers - should they choose to all attend).

Must musings from my mind.  Have to go now

When I last sailed Crystal (2016), they still has set seatings at dinner. And therefore did two performances per night to accommodate both seatings. Are they still doing two, or have they moved to one now that there's open seating? I can see that the size of the theater could be a problem if they do only one show per night.

Crystal,

Last summer (July), there were 2 shows a night -7:30 and 9:45 even though the dining room was open seating when I was on the Symphony -  I assume it is the same now . . . 

Peggy