LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)

Yes, both Crystal ships have two shows per night even with open seating. Part of that might have to do with the size of the theatre but I enjoy having the two time slots to choose from as it gives us more scope in terms of how we pace out our evening.

Jackie, the main dining room (Waterside) at lunch on embarkation day is always very very busy. You'll find if you choose to dine there on any other day that it is much quieter, even on sea days it's not as crowded as on embarkation day. I do agree though that the tables for two by the window are far too close together. In the evenings we always try for a two top that is on the aisle of the centre raised section - much more space between tables there. You could also request a four top by the window so as you have a little more space. Not always something they can accomodate but depending on when you dine it would be worth asking.

9 hours ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, what was the name of the show?  I will be interested in hearing how you think it compares to Paradis when you sail on  the Explorer, that is the best that I have seen at sea.

Didn’t forget your question- still looking for an answer.  I did look at the program that was handed out and it didn’t say.  It was singing and dancing from around the world - performed by the Crystal dancers and singers that are excellent.  It seems as if all of them sing as well as dance.  The last number was from Ireland -they did the “stomping” dancing for a really long time - not sure where all of that energy comes from since they do two shows a night (yes Peggy - they still do two shows).  Near the end, three of the male dancers went into a partially enclosed plastic thing (for lack of a better word) where they continued to dance but in water (just a couple of inches and they did change shoes). It was something that I have never seen before and really enjoyed it.  

Unfortunately the loudness drove Dennis off before he saw the good part.  He has ear plugs that are specifically for concerts, etc. that he has not used but will try for the next show (not tonight).

We are at a lounge now listening to a great singer.  About 4 couples are dancing.  The bar is round which makes it easy to speak with others.  The music is a perfect volume - we can speak to each other while enjoying the music.

Will try to post some photos a bit later.

P.S.  Mudhen, if you are reading this, they pour Jacquart champagne in the bars.  Still looking for the bartender that you mentioned!

Edited by Travelcat2
12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Didn’t forget your question- still looking for an answer.  I did look at the program that was handed out and it didn’t say

The show is called Crystal in Motion and it's normally preformed on embarkation day. I agree it's a fabulous very energetic show and it's usually just the one time slot on embarkation day (the only day I believe where there is only one show) but it sounds like they may have had two performances on the first night.

Just now, ClefsDor said:

Bob, also meant to mention that you might not have seen this show on Crystal as it's a new production and has only been performed since the dry dock and refurbishment of both ships.

Thank you so much.  Appreciate the help as being on a different ship is taking a lot of brain power to figure out.  Fortunately, just about everything is positive

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you so much.  Appreciate the help as being on a different ship is taking a lot of brain power to figure out.  Fortunately, just about everything is positive

Sounds like you are having a great time and enjoying the cruise.  Doesn't really make a difference which is better or not as long as you're enjoying yourself.  Each cruise has it's good and bad, great and greater. Glad you are having a good time and that's what counts.

Do they have a Coffee Connection?

Edited by ronrick1943

I just wanted to chime in and say that my experience is that the Crystal In Motion Show is performed two times on embarkation day.  😀

As some have mentioned they do have two shows.

In addition on some nights they have added a second type of show in another venue in addition to performing one show two times so you have additional choice.

The exception to this is mainly on an overnight where they will often bring on local entertainers and have one show.

Keith

Thank you for sharing that information Keith.  Your input has been very helpful.  

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sounds like you are having a great time and enjoying the cruise.  Doesn't really make a difference which is better or not as long as you're enjoying yourself.  Each cruise has it's good and bad, great and greater. Glad you are having a good time and that's what counts.

Do they have a Coffee Connection?

You stated the above perfectly.  This is only our second "annual" September local cruise on whatever cruise line does a west coast itinerary at that time.  We thought of doing this after our introduction to NCL on the 3 night christening cruise.  It was a lot of fun.  Following that was Celebrity - also a fun and good experience and now we are on Crystal which is obviously the best and only luxury cruise line that we've tried on this short itineraries.  If Seabourn has a short September itinerary, we may do that next year (our only cruise opening between now and late 2021).

Before I switch to my iPad to post photos, a few words about the onboard experience.  I am very impressed with the computer room.  There seems to be 2 Crystal people in here every time I come by.  What is most surprising is that the computers in the computer room do not require a log-in at all.  It makes sense since I believe that internet is included for everyone (not sure how many log-ins but if you are in the computer room, it doesn't really matter).  They even have a couple of games that I've seen people playing  (assuming that they would stop if the computers were all being used).  The speed has been better than we have experienced previously but we are in the U.S. - not sure if that makes a difference.  There will likely be very slow spots - near the glaciers -- according to one of the computer people.

I am reporting on benefits of the top suite as there are regulars on this board that tend to stay in upper suites.  So, I mentioned that we have 4 bathrobes - 2 lightweight and 2 heavier.  They are changed daily in our suite.  Newspapers, dry cleaning and laundry is included. The butler is very attentive and there were several bottles of alcohol in the suite when we embarked.  At approximately 1,000 sq. ft. (including a too small balcony) which is very comfortable for us.  

We are "recognized" and greeted by name but I suspect that there are photos of us somewhere and the attention is due to that.  The same thing has happened to us before when we have stayed in an upper suite.  Will go more into details when I do the final comparison.

Okay - switching devices.  

Going to try some photos.  Still need to take a lot of photos of the ship and start taking photos of food.  It will happen - just had a super busy day yesterday.

There should be drink menus (or restaurant menus) uploading at the moment.  They are so small that I only can identify that they are menus.  Note:  After just posting that the internet was doing fine, I learned that this is not the case at the moment.  It is taking forever to upload but I’m patient and am playing a game on the computer while I wait.

CDDF4188-F620-4638-AFE7-66EB157C3321.jpeg

2056594B-819B-4B8D-9572-E628F0D3DF4D.jpeg

C589C3D8-EB27-4CB2-8B29-F08379BFE773.jpeg

So, the above photos were menus from Prego (Italian restaurant where we will dine tonight - cannot wait to try to mushroom soup) and Silk - the Chinese restaurant.  More below (I believe that the first two photos are a continuation of Silk’s lunch menu followed by the Ben and Jerry’s menu

51D435BC-74FD-4C95-91D6-82DD591407FF.jpeg

989056F7-91E6-46DB-B273-4A8CE999E903.jpeg

557680EB-62A0-4039-97E9-4B0CDE0B9787.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

Starting at the top is a lovely sitting area.  What is unique about it (besides for Dennis sitting there) is that people are dining to the left of this area (generally overflow from the buffet restaurant).  It is across from a small bar.  The area is a bit warm but is lovely.

The second picture is taken a bit further to the right side of the screen - you can see the entrance to Silk and a glimpse of the hanging chair in the corner.

Finally, the computer room - large, spacious and very comfortable.

I have a few photos on my iPhone which I’ll post later.  Off to shop and take more photos.

1E243402-8BA9-41A3-A11F-74936EB2AC30.jpeg

7B0E7AD7-D06F-4256-82AB-BB56B0B34226.jpeg

DCADCB85-12D2-4402-9097-5BFA33487C5E.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2
48 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Food looks wonderful (menus superb) but when I went on the Crystal site - the suites are not very big.  Which is not great for us...  Love your posts though and am eagerly awaiting more!  Thanks Jackie!!

Yes - the food is excellent.  We do consider the fact that everything is different than we are used to and “different” can be exciting.  Yes - most suites (even the one that we originally booked - a PH suite) is smaller than one would like.  You need to go to the top suite (Crystal Penthouse) to get half-bath.

40 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Jackie,

i highly recommend you try the lobster and octopus appetizer tonight at Prego

Nancy 

Will do!  Had something with octopus last night but expect the food in Prego to be more to or liking.  The fact that we had one meal that was less than expected is no big deal.

34 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Great, I see Dennis is wearing the right footwear taking care of the injury---keep it up.👍

Thank you for thinking about Dennis and his foot.  The sandals (even with socks) does not provide ankle support.  I’m trying to convince him to wear his tennis shoes.  Fortunately, his dress shoes (older ones than we normally pack as they are well broken in) work fine at night.

Took some random photos on the way back to the suite.  Below are shots from the deck above the atrium area.  There is a beautiful bar,  seating areas, etc.

9E648201-7FD5-4F26-A0B5-868728E23C6D.jpeg

0724E0FB-34BA-4F74-B85E-A9CFC992AA14.jpeg

5D0BD189-E919-4DF6-B716-2000E17458FB.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

Photos from outside Japanese restaurant.  There are menu’s in several places (mostly on lit displays around the ship).  It makes it easy to decide on where you would like to dine.  I have food photos of yesterday’s Asian lunch that I’ll post when I get to my iPhone.  Taking a long time to upload - am reading in the interim.

Apologize for the quality of the photos.  I’m not into photography - that is something that my sister is interested in.  We used to have a closet full of photographs (that Dennis took) and now just take snapshots and keep them “in the cloud”.  If I’m cutting off something that you are interested in, I’ll take another photo.  

I believe that the 4th photo (sushi list) is cut off but most of us have seen sushi lists.  This one is not different but the quality of the sushi/sashimi is more like a fine Japanese restaurant at home rather than on a cruise ship.  I have mentioned that most food cannot be recreated perfectly on a cruise ship due to restraints such as induction cooking rather than cooking on gas or over a flame.  Obviously, sushi/sashimi simply needs a great quality fish and a talented, trained person to put it all together.  Crystal has this down well.

Note:  Forgot to take other half of the menu. Will do that at some point.

E82AAC54-BA1E-458C-B869-81768C738C24.jpeg

3E824359-0BAE-4CD6-8F1A-8466E3E47ED7.jpeg

E2F577FF-F721-48A9-B83B-1815BD4B2F7A.jpeg

0003A17A-D061-4C22-8BFA-63DF4ADFF1F5.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2

I think that this is taken in our favorite lounge/bar.  Truly lovely area that, so far, has not been crowded before dinner.  

The first and third picture is the lounge.  The one in the middle is just a view from the Coffee Connection equivalent.

37BC575A-3CC5-44B8-A1B1-2CDA3421EECB.jpeg

E6A393B6-15DF-4212-9186-9028DBC91D81.jpeg

4EC93DFC-7BA0-4C00-ADDD-35D32025ED14.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2
2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Apologize for the quality of the photos.  I’m not into photography - that is something that my sister is interested in.  

Jackie, trust me, your photos are just fine and very much appreciated.

Greatly enjoying your comments and observations, and so glad that you are enjoying, hope that it continues .

Bob