Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

So many wonderful cocktails.......so little time! mmmmmm!

I know...the ‘Blood and Sand’ caught my eye...an uncommon cocktail and delicious if done properly.

@Travelcat02 thank you for posting all of this.  Having never sailed Crystal before I’m enjoying seeing the ‘other side’ - and I’m struck by the fact that the two lines really do seem more similar than different.  It looks like a great trip so far!

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It makes sense since I believe that internet is included for everyone (not sure how many log-ins but if you are in the computer room, it doesn't really matter).  They even have a couple of games that I've seen people playing  (assuming that they would stop if the computers were all being used).  The speed has been better than we have experienced previously but we are in the U.S. - not sure if that makes a difference.  There will likely be very slow spots - near the glaciers -- according to one of the computer people.

I am reporting on benefits of the top suite as there are regulars on this board that tend to stay in upper suites.  So, I mentioned that we have 4 bathrobes - 2 lightweight and 2 heavier.  They are changed daily in our suite.  Newspapers, dry cleaning and laundry is included. The butler is very attentive and there were several bottles of alcohol in the suite when we embarked.  At approximately 1,000 sq. ft. (including a too small balcony) which is very comfortable for us.  

We are "recognized" and greeted by name but I suspect that there are photos of us somewhere and the attention is due to that.  The same thing has happened to us before when we have stayed in an upper suite.  Will go more into details when I do the final comparison.

Okay - switching devices.  

If memory serves me (and that's sometimes iffy), each person is entitled to two devices logged in.  As to the speed, since the dry dock of the ships, it has been way superior to anything I've experienced on any other ship. With the exception of maybe one day in Alaska, I found there to be very few slow spots. When we were on our Australia cruise, again we had only a few slow spots and they didn't last too long. 

One of the best things is being able to use Wifi to call home, text, etc.

All rooms have the same amenities in terms of shampoos, etc and also all rooms have the same 4 bathrobes. Doesn't matter if you're in your suite or in an ocean view. We usually have a butler but my daughter reported her housekeeper managed to continually go above and beyond to make sure they were comfortable and had everything they needed.

Ask around and you'll find that after the 2nd day almost everyone is greeted by name. It's not just limited to those in the upper categories.

Edited by AtA

Jackie in your post 93, the first picture is the one that is the coffee bar at the Bistro.

Your second photo is outside the Bistro and your third photo is the Starlight Lounge which from what I'm gathering is your favorite bar area. 🙂 

Very much enjoying your posts, Jackie and hope you have a lovely meal at Prego. Our favourites are the mushroom soup, carpaccio, lamb rack and the lasagne which is one of the best I have ever had anywhere! Don't forget you can order anything in half portion sizes if you want to sample more dishes.

Jackie..

Loving all your posts! A question about an intangible. What’s the “vibe” of the ship? And how does it differ from Regent? Does the captain have a presence? And how is the CD?

Jackie I am following your every word.  Thanks for taking all the time to do this.   You are doing a great job!   Tell Dennis hello and wishing a fast healing.

Thank you for sharing the vegetarian selections.  And, the Gin & Tonic drinks look really lovely!

41 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sorry, but why would they need to switch out the bathrobes every day?  This seems very wasteful and over the top.

They don’t normally change them out daily - they simply re-hang them

The reason there is 4 are that two are the heavier towelling like material and the other two are lighter cotton Yakuta style

Some people ask for the ones they’re not using to give more closet space - the room attendant will gladly organise that for you 

Edited by Stickman1990

Still not making comparisons - at least not until Monday.  I will say that the CD is very nice.  He has a Disney background and walks around the theater before the show chatting with guests.  I don’t believe that I have seen the Captain.  The G.M. (Called Hotel Director on this ship) is around - also chatting with guests.  

In terms of the bathrobes, we were told by the butler that they are changed out daily.  Not sure if this is true or perhaps is a “benefit”(?) of our suite.

Paul, it almost isn’t fair to describe the vibe of the ship as there are 720 people new to Crystal and everyone that we meet is a newbie (very friendly).  Tables in some dining venues are so close together that you could accidentally take the silverware off of the table next to you.  This is not a complaint but rather explains why we always seems to. Be chatting with guests (something we do less often on Regent).

I do not want to turn this into a dress code thread but I am surprised at how overly casual the guests are dressing.  One woman in line to get into Prego (wearing slacks and a jacket - typical of what you would wear on a excursion).  She commented on how dressed up some people in line were and said that she did not pack anything “fancy” for this trip.  For those of you that would like to see “dress jeans” on Regent should get a look at what happens when you do that.  Lots of jeans (faded, old but not torn) and t-shirts complete the outfits (for dinner).  I am not criticizing Crystal for this other than not being clear to passengers what the dress code is.

Thanks to those of you that corrected my photo descriptions.  I took too many photos without posting them and everything seems quite mixed up.

Lunch in the MDR was okay - not great.  I ordered baby back ribs and they were tough.  The drinks were fine (tequila of course).  Couldn’t resist a small scoop of Ben and Jerry’s for dessert.

I am sitting in Prego - having messed up the times.  Dennis and I were having a drink.  I told him that I needed to stop at the computer room and said that I would meet him there.  Well, at 5:55 p.m. I had no idea where he was (no longer in the lounge) so I went into the restaurant and am sipping wine.  Our actual reservation is 6:30 p.m,. - not 6:00 p.m. as it has been previously.  Anyway, I feel like an idiot sitting here but the crew has been wonderful about it.

We were both tired today so we didn’t go ashore in Juneau (also, there were many ships docked here).

More tomorrow or perhaps later this evening!

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

They don’t normally change them out daily - they simply re-hang them

The reason there is 4 are that two are the heavier towelling like material and the other two are lighter cotton Yakuta style

Some people ask for the ones they’re not using to give more closet space - the room attendant will gladly organise that for you 

Oh I understand about having a choice of robes.  I would much prefer the lighter style than those heavy things they have on Regent.  Good idea, that.  In fact, when we do our WC in 2021 I'm thinking I'll bring along my own light robe, or perhaps buy one en route, because I find those heavy things quite uncomfortable to lounge around in.

And yes, hopefully they would just re-hang them, and give you a fresh one once in a while.  Laundry is a significant environmental cost, as they keep telling us in hotel rooms.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

"Couldn’t resist a small scoop of Ben and Jerry’s for dessert."

My favorites are the chocolate truffles (you can ask for them at dinner) and the chocolate chip cookies at the Ice Cream stop.

42 minutes ago, AtA said:

"Couldn’t resist a small scoop of Ben and Jerry’s for dessert."

My favorites are the chocolate truffles (you can ask for them at dinner) and the chocolate chip cookies at the Ice Cream stop.

Sounds yummy. Just had gelato 🍨 

So it seems the Sushi is not included in the cruise fare?   Or is "basic" sushi included and "special" - abalone etc - charged for?

Menu descriptions sound lovely and I would order the Mango Pavlova for starter, main and dessert I think!

The conversation about bathrobes makes me laugh!  We never use ours.  Until now it hasn't occurred to me to have them removed but I shall do just that in March.  They take up a lot of room!!    Interesting comments about the dress code.   Jeans and a tee shirt at dinner doesn't sound (nor look) right.  How odd for a luxury line not to publish something in this regard.

Edited by Hambagahle

Hambagahle, sushi and sashimi are very much included in the cruise fare.  There is a connoisseur menu of a few items which have a cost.  You can order any amount of sushi and sashimi as you care.  The restaurant is under Chef Nobu Matsuhisa of Nobu restaurants on land.  I would say with the amount of sushi, sashimi and appetizers, entrees, etc. we order the bill on land for the two of us would easily be in the $300.00 to $400.00 range and that is before taxes/tips (depending on where in the world you dine) and drink.

Jackie posted a portion of the sushi/sashimi menu (just a few lines).  It is very extensive.  I would say 30 or more items.

Some examples of what is included:

IMG_4285.thumb.jpg.918b2160a539e4ce7d6e5a9ea1f80058.jpgIMG_4286.thumb.jpg.46f6c6b59210c632a704975814f7ba84.jpgimg-1327.jpg.ecc65c6fc2b501e1192c189e9dcf66fa.jpgimg-2689.jpg.893b2ad42251f54d182202bb26aab2b8.jpgimg-2999.jpg.55fa3b6395b5e44a9d3552cd6b1c1af8.jpgimg-4471.jpg.f3cd6bf4793a648b862af750a57bfab7.jpgimg-7037.jpg.29bba23443afa35fd40742c4f410e21c.jpg

The menu is so extensive I have not had the need to order from the connoisseur menu.  

Keith

Just wanted to add a couple of comments which I hope are OK.

As Stickman mentioned changing out the bathrobes daily is not the norm. They are changed out at the end of the cruise. Even when we were in a CP on the other ship they didn't change them out daily or more than the one time.  Exception would be if we requested it.

ATA is correct on the devices.  Just want to clarify you can have two devices logged on at the same time. So you could use more than two devices but just two logged on at the same time.  However, if you are sailing with someone else since they could have two as well on at the same time between the two of you one could have four devices logged on at the same time.  I've never had the need to have more than two though logged on concurrently.

This is one of those one-off cruise with respect to attire based on Jackie's observations.  It likely is attributable to many first timers on board (from my own experience many of which are first time cruisers on a luxury line) and where the ship is sailing.  While blue jeans have been allowed for years (even though they are never mentioned in the write-ups from Crystal) on the majority of cruises we sail with Crystal I  see less today than in years past. In many cases when I see them it is on the either the first night or last nights when people either just arrived to the ship that day or have been packing to leave the following day.  

I often say whatever line you sail each cruise has their own characteristics which is why no two cruises are precisely the same.  I have seen some very unusual dress over the years on all lines.  Then again the same has been true at Hotels.  😀  

Keith

Jackie, I love the Ben & Jerry's menu.  I've never stopped to take a photo of it.  Well done and I like all of those photos of the CP and glad you have included some of the menus.

Keith

Here’s the included and the additional

cost items menu from Symphony’s sister ship Serenity earlier this year - they should be the same 

Plus of course you can sit at the Sushi Bar and the chef will tempt you with several extra items that aren’t on the menu 

93605B91-6D18-478E-8F31-3D7B22675BAC.jpeg

7CF60A1D-0122-4933-96D6-43A5D513195D.jpeg

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This is a photo of the full Umi Uma Sushi/Sashimi Menu.

Keith

448638193_ScreenShot2019-09-06at2_06_01AM.thumb.jpg.c1679484b01b88bdb2c703ddd35759dd.jpg

Yum, they do have the yellowtail jalapeño. One of my fav Nobu dishes. This is quite impressive. 🙂

Is cruise critic supported by the food industry - every time there are menus and pictures of food - it makes me want to head out to some restaurant to see if I can duplicate.  Somehow the fitness center threads don't inspire me the same way

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yum, they do have the yellowtail jalapeño. One of my fav Nobu dishes. This is quite impressive. 🙂

See 3rd item under Nobu Special at top of menu. 

6 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

See 3rd item under Nobu Special at top of menu. 

I thought  i was bad in the morning before coffee 😁

Enjoying this report and pictures.

So much choice of food and beverages to try.  

It would be difficult to leave the ship.

Can imagine many would sail for the on board  service and experiences.

The ports maybe a secondary consideration?

We find people do dress more and more casually.

Not keen on caps in the dining room either.

But that's a subject for another time.