LIVE - Crystal Symphony (compared to Regent)

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

TC, following your posts almost makes me consider Crystal again if an itinerary works for us...I guess we could rough it!  Totally agree regarding the photographers.  It seems to cheapen the experience and does not promote an upscale experience.  

And yet you'd be surprised how many people still avail themselves of the photographers. 

Photos again (from Umi Uma - our favorite dining venue)

One dish is edamame - one is Dennis’ rock shrimp tempera, one is my “chef’s special roll” (with 5 fish — I only can remember crab, yellowtail and salmon).  It was excellent.  Almost forgot the shot of the chop sticks (with Nobu imprinted on them).  Enjoy photos.

B7AE8005-E58C-48CE-A16C-71094B27FFF9.jpeg

FC3CFB53-48C1-4995-A245-8116D75555C1.jpeg

48E375BD-C231-4B2C-8802-1FA676A44260.jpeg

9CC83581-D8E8-4697-B545-6433B9E8F469.jpeg

Not sure if this will work.  I’m trying to upload 5 photos.  Soup with and without lid.  Australian Wagu beef tenderloin, the dipping sauces that go with the beef and the small dessert that is given to all guests.  We did not order dessert but these satisfied my sweet tooth.

Note:  The dessert didn’t upload - see next post

900B6937-4755-4B93-BA5C-B406E4A56348.jpeg

5A960056-5930-4A99-A89D-4B924B8479BC.jpeg

F328FBD8-11EC-4267-8CC0-0E087421DF4C.jpeg

A2CE6765-B892-42B6-8E85-47A3AAA28ED9.jpeg

5 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Plus it's a cost center that brings income to the line.

Yes it is a cost center - just as the horrible art that was displayed for years on Regent (from a company that was convicted of fraud and was used on many cruise lines).  

Anyway, just finished listening to Mark Ferris again.  His early show is just piano but he still manages to make the guests feel special.  When we sat down, he said "hi Jackie and Dennis" - he must have a photographic memory.  He asked us what song was played at our wedding and Dennis told him so he played it and it brought tears to my eyes.  When he heard that Dennis was from London, he started playing British songs (and, at one point, Dennis had to stand up, albeit briefly).  I cannot say enough about this man.

Will definitely attend his show tomorrow when we are in Glacier Bay.  For those of you from Regent, only a small number of ships are permitted to enter Glacier Bay each year (NCL is one of those ships and so is Crystal).  I saw a recent show on Glacier Bay a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing.  Very fortunate to be able to see it before all of the glaciers are gone.  Note:  Here we are in Alaska and have not seen any snow on the tops of mountains.  

At this point, I want to thank my Crystal friends (you know who you are) that helped me tremendously prior to embarking on Symphony.  For someone that is used to helping other "newbies" that have booked Regent, it is strange for me to be the one asking questions.  My sincere thanks to all of you!

As strange as it may sound, I could almost put together a luxury cruise experience combining the best of Crystal and Regent.  As much as we enjoyed Silversea, Crystal is a "horse of a different color" (a line from Wizard of Oz - 1939).  Our brains are spinning from this experience.  We are Regent loyalists (that cheat occasionally - that sounds worse than it is), but Crystal is now an option that we did not have before.  

Enough babbling (must be the three small portions of sake that I had).  I do appreciate the response of those of you on the Crystal board.  You have been most welcoming to "us" Regent people.

I have to say, as a "Crystal person," that I am enjoying TC's (and others') comments and observations immensely.  I have sailed with Crystal numerous times, but not with Regent.  Seeing Crystal through the eyes of a "Regent person" is very helpful as I consider whether or not I will book a Regent cruise in the future.  So regardless of the original intent, IMO it has great value from both points of view.

I was already reading the thread on the Regent board, but for me it is admittedly more convenient to find it here.  So I can understand the frustration of some of the "Regent people" that it was moved.  TC, I suggest that after all is done and said, that you could post something again on the Regent board to remind those who might not have followed it over to Crystal to have another look at it.  And thank you for the effort you are putting in to share your experience!

Actually, it sounds like the two lines have more similarities than differences, and maybe we should all just consider ourselves "luxury cruise people."  🙂

Karen

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Actually, it sounds like the two lines have more similarities than differences, and maybe we should all just consider ourselves "luxury cruise people."  

Karen

I totally agree with your comments 

Interestingly I’ve been looking at a Regent Cruise today on Explorer in 2021 - so the comparison is very relevant 

We’re all looking for a luxury cruising experience with great service, food and entertainment - sure we have our favourites but it’s not a bad thing to have options that meet the standards we expect 

56 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Actually, it sounds like the two lines have more similarities than differences, and maybe we should all just consider ourselves "luxury cruise people."  🙂

Karen

Exactly.

It's really no different than luxury hotels (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.) luxury automobiles (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes).  

We might have preferences or we might  find some to be pretty equal.  Regardless, they each represent luxury products.

Keith

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Yes, no different than any  of the on-board concessions found pretty much on any cruise line even if they don't have a photographer (eg., stores, salon/spa, etc.)

I often say choice is good.  Some people have photos taken.  Others don't.  Some vary cruise to cruise.  We are at a stage in our lives where we vary it.  

For me I am glad it's there and certainly there are many who have photos taken an likely an equal number who don't.

On selected cruises they also have a Master Photographer on-board where people make arrangements for a photo shoot.

I've seen families do this as well as couples.  There is one photo on Crystal Serenity that is often displayed from one of the Master Shoots.  I remember the couple well.  They were from the UK.  The lady knew her husband was dying and this would be his last cruise and there last cruise together.  She wanted to have photos done of him and the two of them to cherish for the rest of their lives and doing something together which they loved.  Yes cruising.  

Keith

1 hour ago, late2cruisin said:

These DO look yummy! Does everyone get these? I mean, in addition to the dessert that I plan on ordering?😁

Only if you ate your entire meal.  Otherwise no cookies.  😀

Actually, they are brought to the table after the meal and you can also order dessert(s) from the menu.  

Keith

1 hour ago, late2cruisin said:

These DO look yummy! Does everyone get these? I mean, in addition to the dessert that I plan on ordering?😁

My favorite dessert at Umi Uma!!!  I love the sesame cookies. Everyone gets them and they are brought to the table.  If you're still hungry, you can order a dessert. :classic_biggrin:

Nancy

So enjoying reading this thread with my morning coffee each day... completely agree with most of your comments. I actually quite like having the photographer, because it's one of the very few occasions when we get a pic of both of us together but I understand what you're saying. Umi Uma is our favourite dining venue also. I love the yellowtail sashimi and also the wagyu sashimi - can't get enough of it. We went to Nobu in London a couple of weeks ago and the food was really no better. The bill for the 2 of us was close to £600, excluding tip. I can't believe we have never been to Avenue Saloon, so will try it on our transatlantic in November. 

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

+ 1 about the photographers. Far too many of them around the ship and on your way to excursions trying to snap photos. I wish they would either eliminate them altogether or make their services and their sales area a little more unobtrusive.

I hate it. On mainstream lines I tried to avoid it here I never thought it would be part of a "luxury" experience you live and learn. Done 10 Crystal cruises in 3 years and love the product but this is one aspect I hate. 

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

For sure but I hate it. How many more hate it? How long can a cost centre validate being there? I for one have expressed my dislike to Crystal in polite but uncertain terms. I am by no means a major Crystal customer with only 10 cruses 112 days on board to my name. So very unsure how many more feel the same. As yet I am very open with where I spend my dollar.I weigh up a lot of things overt photography is a minor issue. I doubt Crystal will concern itself with me. 

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

So enjoying reading this thread with my morning coffee each day... completely agree with most of your comments. I actually quite like having the photographer, because it's one of the very few occasions when we get a pic of both of us together but I understand what you're saying. Umi Uma is our favourite dining venue also. I love the yellowtail sashimi and also the wagyu sashimi - can't get enough of it. We went to Nobu in London a couple of weeks ago and the food was really no better. The bill for the 2 of us was close to £600, excluding tip. I can't believe we have never been to Avenue Saloon, so will try it on our transatlantic in November. 

SOme people talk about how "expensive" a Crystal cruise is.  Yes - it is, BUT - your comment about the price of Nobu puts it in some perspective.  Especially if you eat at Umi multiple times on a cruise, think of how much money you are "saving."   🙂     The Avenue is generally our main hangout.  The experience there varies with the piano player.  THe posts here about Mark Farris are right on - he is the absolute best!    We'll be on the Transatlantic in November also.  On Serenity.  

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

For sure but I hate it. How many more hate it? How long can a cost centre validate being there? I for one have expressed my dislike to Crystal in polite but uncertain terms. I am by no means a major Crystal customer with only 10 cruses 112 days on board to my name. So very unsure how many more feel the same. As yet I am very open with where I spend my dollar.I weigh up a lot of things overt photography is a minor issue. I doubt Crystal will concern itself with me. 

Can't say that I would hate it, but it's up on the dislike list.  However as long as it brings in good revenue to Crystal without taking away cruisers--it will stay as a department.

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

SOme people talk about how "expensive" a Crystal cruise is.  Yes - it is, BUT - your comment about the price of Nobu puts it in some perspective.  Especially if you eat at Umi multiple times on a cruise, think of how much money you are "saving."   🙂     The Avenue is generally our main hangout.  The experience there varies with the piano player.  THe posts here about Mark Farris are right on - he is the absolute best!    We'll be on the Transatlantic in November also.  On Serenity.  

I think Umi by Nobu is a home run for Crystal and set's them apart from other lines.  With Sushi being so popular today I don't understand why other lines haven't stepped it up.

Thanks, TC for the great thread.  I'm getting interested in Crystal but I hope you can shed some light on the dinner seating situation.  I've heard that open dining does not work that well on Crystal.  Your thoughts or will that come in your later review?

We are old and have had our picture taken a million times so don’t need any more.  We haven’t had our photo taken on a cruise in 20 years at least.  I don’t mind a photography presence as long as they aren’t pestering me (like stopping you as you board, coming to your dining table, etc.).  

With that said, I truly detest cruise art sales because they are blatant frauds and I appreciate (a lot) that the luxury cruises don’t have them. 

My husband and I purchase one photo per cruise, unless the photos are horrible. We place the one photo in an album that we go through on occasion. If we don't purchase a photo I'll create a collage and use that instead. It's simply a tradition we started on our first cruise and we have kept it up. If the Crystal photos are ridiculously priced we won't buy one, but chances are we will.