Cruise Critic Community
hilomelko

No info on 8/25 breakaway airfare out of NO

As of 5 pm they are not releasing any info to me on a flight out of NO tomorrow,if it even is tomorrow...we used ncl air so they said they would take care of everything!!!i am becoming less and less hopeful this is gonna go smooth tomorrow...has anyone got their ncl flight info yet??

As difficult as it may be to take at the moment I would advise you to try and remain patient and let NCL powers that be have a chance to work on the situation as there are so many people in your position at the moment. You may have to make your own arrangements and keep your receipts. I can’t even imagine the frustration. 

You are probably right it may not go smoothly but at least you will be on your way home. This type of event isn't something everyone has dealt with on a daily or even once a year  be it the cruise line, the airline or individual passengers. 

I am a glass half full kind of optimist. So, like I tell my wife, there are enough things to worry about that are really happening; so, don't worry about something that has not yet happened.

Try to chill and let NCL do their thing as you had the NCL air fare to begin with.

You can't change things by worrying.

It will all work out in the end.

Good luck.

I just called NCL for something unrelated, and my PCC's VM said the offices are closed due to the storm (which is NOT hitting Miami), so I hope they are actually working on getting you guys home than sitting on their butts at home....

Air travel is going to be thoroughly messed up because of Dorian.

Because of airports either closed because of being directly affected by Dorian or in anticipation of Dorian, the airlines will be having problems with equipment and crews not being where they are needed in other parts of the country.

Also, for anyone who thinks that NCL Miami staff is just sitting at home on their butts because the storm is not directly coming ashore at Miami needs to have a steep learning curve on hurricane quadrants, storm surge and wind, and the effects on a coast and population of obtaining supplies such as gasoline.

There is a good chance that being rerouted on a different flight out of New Orleans will take time. There may be delays involved of several days and out of pocket expenses for lodgings and food  that you will need to pay for.

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Also, for anyone who thinks that NCL Miami staff is just sitting at home on their butts because the storm is not directly coming ashore at Miami needs to have a steep learning curve on hurricane quadrants, storm surge and wind, and the effects on a coast and population of obtaining supplies such as gasoline.

Per AccuWeather for Miami: High of 86, cloudy with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm.  Wind 16 MPH with gusts up to 29 MPH.  Get in your car, roll the window down, drive 29 MPH, and tell me that you are sheltering in place today.

1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Per AccuWeather for Miami: High of 86, cloudy with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm.  Wind 16 MPH with gusts up to 29 MPH.  Get in your car, roll the window down, drive 29 MPH, and tell me that you are sheltering in place today.

I don't understand your comment?   I am on the Florida west coast and am out of the area with any direct impact from Dorian. But the fact is that we did not know for sure where the storm was going until Dorian actually slowed and started to turn. 

That being said, here are the impacts on my non-threatened area:

There is a gasoline shortage and many people are not driving to conserve the gas they do have.

Some items are in short supply as the shelves have been swept clean.  My local pharmacy is out of stock on some drugs and is waiting to be restocked (the result of people wisely refilling prescriptions last week but has messed up the supply schedule for those who didn't).

Many of the local population are hosting evacuees from the east coast and hotel room are in short supply.

Many local businesses and schools are closed (at least for yesterday and today) because no one knew exactly what the situation would have been  for the last several days (some predictions did show the storm coming directly across the state until late Saturday). 

So it doesn't matter that the sun is shining and we will only be dealing with the outer bands of showers as Dorian approaches the east coast. We still have the results of the precautions and measures that were put in place last week .

While Miami is south now of the predicted storm track and may be enjoying balmy weather, it is still being affected by conditions north of them. Don't forget that as a peninsula, we have limited major north/south routes. Those are, from west to east, Highway 19, Interstate 75. Route 301, Interstate 95, and US Route 1.

IS 95 and Route 1 are directly impacted by Dorian as mandatory evacuations occur on the east coast of Florida and up through Georgia and the Carolinas. Route 301 ranges from being on the coast above Florida to more inland. Traffic will be a mess.

As the storm affects the east coast, there will be power outages.

I also learned during Irma two years ago (again I was in an area not directly affected) that communications will be affected. My cell phone usage was throttled (not an IT person so may not be the word) and only text messages could be used and those would be delayed.  Again, priority was given to emergency service and other directly working to restore power in the affected areas.

Internet was also spotty.

So broaden your outlook on the impact that a store of this magnitude has on areas outside the direct impact area.