Cruise Critic Community
Travelcat2

Newbie - LIVE from the Symphony

Just departed YVR and loved hearing the song.  

Stickman - just do not want to get into what I’ve said in the past more than I have already.  I was simply explaining why we are cruising Crystal now but would not in the past.  It did not go deeper than what I said (other than my previous comments about Crystal’s passengers - comments that were based on CC’s boards).  The jury is still out about passengers.

The one thing that I cannot figure out is why the highest category of suites is under the pool deck.  The noise from the pool deck is not specific to any ship — it seems to be the case on all ships.  in my opinion, putting the PH suites under the pool deck was not the best decision.  We’ve avoided suites under the pool deck on Regent since 2006.

In any event, have to get dressed for dinner.  Really looking forward to it.  More when I have the time.

I am pretty sure some cwazey guys may be wandering around that ship with a video camera saying, "Sir, Sir"... beware: mildly dangerous 😉

4 minutes ago, NottheMonkey said:

I am pretty sure some cwazey guys may be wandering around that ship with a video camera saying, "Sir, Sir"... beware: mildly dangerous 😉

Not until September 10th!!!! :classic_smile:

Nancy

Our first Crystal cruise will be at the end of this month, so I am eagerly following your review. Especially interested in your food recommendations and, if you have  a chance, I'd love to see a copy of the included wine list.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The one thing that I cannot figure out is why the highest category of suites is under the pool deck.  The noise from the pool deck is not specific to any ship — it seems to be the case on all ships.  in my opinion, putting the PH suites under the pool deck was not the best decision.  We’ve avoided suites under the pool deck on Regent since 2006.

I agree, but this was a pretty common design for ships in the 80s/90s, and Symphony entered service in 1996. Serenity has the same layout and was designed/built between 2000 and 2003. Having sailed in PH on Symphony on Deck 10 and PS on Serenity on Deck 11, I can't say that overhead noise has ever been a problem, so they must have done something right in the design/build.

Edited by Roland4

Another rushed post.  I will post the included wine list if there is such a thing (haven't seen it  yet).

Roland - thank you again for reminding me that the ship entered service in the '90's.  She is so beautiful that I forget.  The newer ships cannot have as much wood as ships built in the 90's can have.  Now it is all plastic that looks like wood.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have what my DH calls stealth hearing while he has hearing loss which makes loud noise hurt his ears so he felt that the show was too loud and I find the scraping chairs super annoying (we live in an area where all we hear is the sounds of the forest). 

Okay - food.  Dennis is blown away by the food while I am enjoying it (even husband's and wives have different tastes).  His salmon at lunch was amazing and tonight he had Wagu (misspelled) steak that was the best that he ever had.  The same goes for the tempura rock shrimp.  My salmon sashimi was a disappointment (and I  normally can eat endless pieces of salmon sashimi ) as was the mushroom soup (at the Japanese restaurant that I cannot spell).  The sake was great (of course) as was the miso glazed sea bass.

Entertainment.  I knew that Crystal's entertainment was reportedly very good but I just saw perhaps the best show that I've ever seen on a cruise ship.  Loved it.

In the computer room now and will be heading next door to Avenue Saloon (love the décor).  We are having a great time - the crew is wonderful and the ship is beautiful.  

Tomorrow is the Magic Castle and either a computer class or a computer lecture.

Almost forgot, one of the lecturers (don't have his name yet) had to leave for a family emergency but his lectures are on television.  They hope that he will be back in Ketchikan.  Will report this when I learn more as I'm sure that many of you know him.

Edited by Travelcat2

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

loved hearing the song

19 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

entertainment was reportedly very good but I just saw perhaps the best show that I've ever seen on a cruise ship.

etc...

Yes yes these and other little things are why so many of us are Crystal devotees.  This isn't just a follow the crowd phenomena.  People don't sail Crystal for status or name brand exclusivity despite the advertising.  Simply, Crystal has maintained its excellence over the years.  That is why we spend our precious vacations on Crystal.   I am glad you can finally experience what we've all been raving about.

Jackie:

It sounds like you are off to a great start and I am happy to hear that you and your husband are enjoying various features on board including the ship and its food.  That was a very nice touch that you were greeted by the Hotel Director.

Some of the shows can be on the louder side.  I can't guarantee it will help but for some if they sit towards the back of the Galaxy Showroom the sound might not seem as loud.

Your comment about the show last night and how good it was reminds me of how I am glad that cruise lines are all different.  Sometimes people have a tendency to cherry pick from the various lines.  This is human nature.  But that is not always possible because each line spends portions of their revenue in different areas.  In Crystal's case they invest more in areas such as entertainment and enrichment while another line might invest more in a different area.

Enjoy today including the Magic Show and Computer Class.  And speaking of the computer one of the members of the Computer University team might be able to help you with the copy and paste feature on your computer.  

Keith

Unfortunately you are not a cruise with a lot of sea days.  It is the sea days above all else that make Crystal a stand out.  Yes food is great, entertainment superb, service unmatched but sea days with all the activities and enrichment are beyond exceptional on Crystal.  Enjoy your cruise.

bitob, Jackie is fortunate that she does have three sea days and for that length cruise that is nice.  It should give her a feel for the on board experience.  I do agree a crossing with more total days would provide more but this at least has sea days.

Keith

When the Crystal survey asks where we would like to cruise, I always prefer the "Cruise to Nowhere" option. Plenty of sea days.

We choose cruises that have a good ratio of sea days to land days on purpose. Being on Crystal on sea days is sometimes even more intense than being on land because there's too much to choose from!

Whatever ship that we are on in September, we want local cruises.  Having said that, we have been to Alaska several times so the ports aren’t a big attraction to us.  It will take the full 7 days to try out the dining venues, lounges, etc.

The first lecture/class was done by “Cheryl with assistance from here husband Harry).  The class was given in easy to understand terms - we learned a lot and will download the class so that I don’t forget anything.  The first class was more or less about iCloud and the iPad.  Cheryl and Harry are amazing!  Very impressed.

This class (different instructor - will start in about a minute) is about Apps.  

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Another rushed post.  I will post the included wine list if there is such a thing (haven't seen it  yet).

Roland - thank you again for reminding me that the ship entered service in the '90's.  She is so beautiful that I forget.  The newer ships cannot have as much wood as ships built in the 90's can have.  Now it is all plastic that looks like wood.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have what my DH calls stealth hearing while he has hearing loss which makes loud noise hurt his ears so he felt that the show was too loud and I find the scraping chairs super annoying (we live in an area where all we hear is the sounds of the forest). 

Okay - food.  Dennis is blown away by the food while I am enjoying it (even husband's and wives have different tastes).  His salmon at lunch was amazing and tonight he had Wagu (misspelled) steak that was the best that he ever had.  The same goes for the tempura rock shrimp.  My salmon sashimi was a disappointment (and I  normally can eat endless pieces of salmon sashimi ) as was the mushroom soup (at the Japanese restaurant that I cannot spell).  The sake was great (of course) as was the miso glazed sea bass.

Entertainment.  I knew that Crystal's entertainment was reportedly very good but I just saw perhaps the best show that I've ever seen on a cruise ship.  Loved it.

In the computer room now and will be heading next door to Avenue Saloon (love the décor).  We are having a great time - the crew is wonderful and the ship is beautiful.  

Tomorrow is the Magic Castle and either a computer class or a computer lecture.

Almost forgot, one of the lecturers (don't have his name yet) had to leave for a family emergency but his lectures are on television.  They hope that he will be back in Ketchikan.  Will report this when I learn more as I'm sure that many of you know him.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! We have done Silversea many times, Seabourn and did our first Regent in January where I did a “live” post as well.  We are doing our first Crystal later this year on the yacht , Esprit then a month later , in December, on Symphony.  I will be interested to hear how the “social atmosphere” compares to your other experiences as well.  Even though we have done Silversea the most of the luxury lines, I feel like they are the least friendly of the ones we have been on...Regent was so nice, so friendly , so fun...without the pretense of SS...so hopefully you find the same experience on Crystal...

Tarwood3 - not sure if this is the right cruise to determine what the "social atmosphere" is as there are 720 newbies onboard (in our experience, this is pretty typical of cruise lines in Alaska).  Everyone that we speak to is new to Crystal and very friendly.  Have only met one couple that has sailed Crystal once previously.

As expected, there are many more Asian passengers than on Silversea or Regent (a mild comparison - still will not do head to head comparisons until the end of the cruise).  The only issues seems to be that many have large families (with toddlers) that want to dine at the same table.  I saw the staff having a bit of difficulty finding yet another table for 10 people (is this typical?).  On the plus side, the Asian food is amazing!  There are quite a few more international passengers which, at first, was surprising to me.  The thought of flying from Asia or Australia (the couple we spoke with at breakfast was from Adelaide) for a 7 night cruise was mind-boggling.  However, they are adding extra times in Canada and/or the U.S.

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Tarwood3 - not sure if this is the right cruise to determine what the "social atmosphere" is as there are 720 newbies onboard (in our experience, this is pretty typical of cruise lines in Alaska).  Everyone that we speak to is new to Crystal and very friendly.  Have only met one couple that has sailed Crystal once previously.

As expected, there are many more Asian passengers than on Silversea or Regent (a mild comparison - still will not do head to head comparisons until the end of the cruise).  The only issues seems to be that many have large families (with toddlers) that want to dine at the same table.  I saw the staff having a bit of difficulty finding yet another table for 10 people (is this typical?).  On the plus side, the Asian food is amazing!  There are quite a few more international passengers which, at first, was surprising to me.  The thought of flying from Asia or Australia (the couple we spoke with at breakfast was from Adelaide) for a 7 night cruise was mind-boggling.  However, they are adding extra times in Canada and/or the U.S.

Interesting...well, our cruise is a 10 day Dec 11-21st...I think its been a tough cruise to sell since its right before Xmas...which is our fav time to cruise ..so I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a lot of newbies as well.  On SS, Americans are always the minority...the Brits dominate , as does their rather more reserved social interaction... 

Thanks again for sharing while on board..having done it many times myself. , sometimes it can seem like a burden with internet speeds and lack of time...so , we all appreciate your efforts!

Jackie, I think you're right when you say Alaskan cruises have a different demographic, lots more families, lots more children and lots of first time passenger,  and hence the on board atmosphere can also be a little different. So in answer to your question abut it being normal to have such large groups  of 10 for dinner, I don't think it is. I've been on lots of cruises with multigenerational families but having more than one or two groups of 8 or or even 10 is not the norm.

Glad that you're off to such a good start. In terms of the inclusive wine list if you go to the Crystal Cove Bar on deck 5 and ask the bar tender (or better still your butler) for a list of all the inclusive wines available on your voyage then you will have a good idea of what you can order in any venue. The two suggested wines that are on offer in Waterside are just that, a suggestion, you can order any wine on the list. When you dine in Prego, and if you like red wines, ask for the Super Tuscan they serve (can't remember the name), a vey nice red.

23 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We have been on Crystal September, October,  November and early December on various cruises and have never had many children. We had several European and English teenagers on some of our cruises but very few smaller children or larger families. Alaska on most lines is an anomaly and attracts a very different crowd in our three times on Alaska cruises on another line.

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

TC,

I think your impression that is not the right cruise to determine "social atmosphere" is spot on. We were on the August 10th, cruise on the same ship and partner and I agreed how this cruise was nothing like the others we have taken on Crystal -on regards to the social aspect of fellow passengers, the rest was just like we expected.

Glad you are sharing your experience and enjoying the ship.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

The only issues seems to be that many have large families (with toddlers) that want to dine at the same table.  I saw the staff having a bit of difficulty finding yet another table for 10 people (is this typical?).  

Jackie, from time to time there are some cruise where there are some large families/extended families on board.  Saw this on two cruises for close to the first half of 2019 on Serenity.  When it does happen it tends to happen on a shorter cruise.

Keith

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I have to agree with you. We did the July 23rd Alaskan cruise this year with our kids and we as past cruisers were definitely in the minority. I think there were less than 300 past Crystal cruisers on our cruise and our ship had 115 children under the age of 18. Luckily they were kept quite busy with the two children's clubs, they were all very well behaved and we barely knew they were there.

Most of us past cruisers who were on our cruise were there taking family as we were.

1 hour ago, Tarwood3 said:

Interesting...well, our cruise is a 10 day Dec 11-21st...I think its been a tough cruise to sell since its right before Xmas...which is our fav time to cruise ..so I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a lot of newbies as well.  On SS, Americans are always the minority...the Brits dominate , as does their rather more reserved social interaction... 

Thanks again for sharing while on board..having done it many times myself. , sometimes it can seem like a burden with internet speeds and lack of time...so , we all appreciate your efforts!

It's a great time to cruise and I think you'll find you have lots of older cruisers who are Crystal regulars. 

While there are cruisers from many countries on Crystal, Americans are still in the majority. Now that can be a good or bad thing. 😉

Edited by AtA

3 hours ago, AtA said:

It's a great time to cruise and I think you'll find you have lots of older cruisers who are Crystal regulars. 

While there are cruisers from many countries on Crystal, Americans are still in the majority. Now that can be a good or bad thing. 😉

And also, much like Keith and Anne Marie did last year, guests coming onboard who will be staying on for the World Cruise, which starts in Miami on January 6, so it will be a little bit of "Old Home Week" between guests and staff. We are doing our first World Cruise this year and are starting to count down the days until we leave for Miami on January 4!!😉

5 hours ago, AtA said:

Have only met 1 person (older) that has cruised Crystal previously.  As I've mentioned, there are 720 passengers new to Regent onboard.  I have always felt that Alaska cruisers are a different mix than normal cruises and this cruise indicates that I am likely correct.

Okay - now I have a serious question.  We dined at the Brazilian restaurant tonight and it was the first "miss" since we boarded.  However, this is not the question.  I understand the dress code but there was a couple that are likely from the sports world.  The man was wearing a ballcap and a top and pants that looked like sweatshirt material (with "names" on it) with tennis shoes.  They received a heck of a lot of attention from the crew and I kept thinking that this was completely against the Crystal Dress Code.  Any thoughts?

Note:  There were two couples where the men wore jeans (not dress jeans) and t-shirts (the women also wore t-shirts).  What am I not understanding about the dress code?