Cruise Critic Community
mimxmom

Explorer Med cruise from Rome 2020

This will be my first Europeon cruise and would appreciate any advice, tips for international cruising. I read somewhere that we do not go through customs at debarkation, Is this correct? Any other useful info is appreciated. Flying in from US.

8 hours ago, mimxmom said:

I read somewhere that we do not go through customs at debarkation, Is this correct?

Right - you'll do that at the airport. Do a search/read on med sailings for general info and post here any specific questions.

Take both US dollar, for use on the ship (tips etc) and Euros for ports of call.

11 hours ago, mimxmom said:

This will be my first Europeon cruise and would appreciate any advice, tips for international cruising. I read somewhere that we do not go through customs at debarkation, Is this correct? Any other useful info is appreciated. Flying in from US.

Get most of your Euros from a bank ATM in Europe.  You may want to have a least 100 Euros when you land, in case you need to pay for transportation before you can get to an ATM.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Get most of your Euros from a bank ATM in Europe.  You may want to have a least 100 Euros when you land, in case you need to pay for transportation before you can get to an ATM.

I’ve never had a problem finding an ATM at the airport.

I always get my Euros from a US bank before we leave.  Should I get them in Rome at the airport instead? 

1 minute ago, blackshirt said:

I’ve never had a problem finding an ATM at the airport.

The ATMs at FCO have high fees.  There was about a $30 difference in obtaining 100 Euros at the airport vs a bank ATM in Civitavecchia.

Just now, sellwingri said:

I always get my Euros from a US bank before we leave.  Should I get them in Rome at the airport instead? 

Rome airport may be a better rate than in the US, but we've always had the best rate at a bank ATM in town.

12 hours ago, mimxmom said:

I’m also cruising from Rome in Oct 2020.  I’ve been there a couple of times before, the last was in November.  I absolutely love Rome but if I could give you one piece of advice,  it would be to be very aware of your surroundings and carry very little money in your purse.  I learned my lesson at the Trevi Fountain when  my purse was pickpocketed for A LOT while I was taking pictures.

The ATMs at FCO have high fees.  There was about a $30 difference in obtaining 100 Euros at the airport vs a bank ATM in Civitavecchia.

I generally don’t worry about ATM fees because they are reimbursed but $30 difference? That’s crazy. I’ve never seen ATM fees that high. Did you maybe mean $3 difference?

6 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

I generally don’t worry about ATM fees because they are reimbursed but $30 difference? That’s crazy. I’ve never seen ATM fees that high. Did you maybe mean $3 difference?

Nope, $30 difference.  I don't think it was all fees, just a poor exchange rate.  I also get fees reimbursed.

As others have said, make sure you have US dollars for on the ship and Euros for off the ship. We booked most of our excursions on our own. Just do your research. Also, check in with your roll call. I know several people on our cruise booked together and saved money. Enjoy the Med. One warning, the water is much colder than you would think.