Key cards not working on breakaway

hilomelko

Hardly anyone’s key cards are working they have the stewards in the hallways opening everyone’s doors ...because there is over 500 pissed people at the desk bitchin about having to stay in NO 1-2 nites....it’s like a maiden voyage..comedy of errors....they don’t even have the luggage tags out they have no clue they are so overwhelmed...it’s quite funny...they actually made an announcement that your key cards don’t work in your stateroom but you can still buy things so don’t worry....I hope they loose many millions on this disaster,they deserve it...

1 hour ago, hilomelko said:

Hardly anyone’s key cards are working they have the stewards in the hallways opening everyone’s doors ...because there is over 500 pissed people at the desk bitchin about having to stay in NO 1-2 nites....it’s like a maiden voyage..comedy of errors....they don’t even have the luggage tags out they have no clue they are so overwhelmed...it’s quite funny...they actually made an announcement that your key cards don’t work in your stateroom but you can still buy things so don’t worry....I hope they loose many millions on this disaster,they deserve it...

And coming to CC to complain about is going to help?  Go get a drink and relax, oh and say a prayer for the people in the Bahamas that are still being battered by Dorian. 

• Like 16

Understood, odds are that all the "current" guest keycards were programmed to stop working after its original 7 days cruise and/or might not have been reset or extended due to the monkey wrenches thrown ... the hurricane, whether to get some of the blame or not.  

Crew is probably just as stressed out like some, they aren't different from the rest ... and, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were scheduled to start their vacation/ship rotation and/or planning to disembark and fly home, like everyone else - now stranded & delayed.  

It happens to us - for 2 nights, our room keycards not working at our land-based Marriott - battery(s) inside the digital/electronic keylock is low/failed, maintenance/engineering was notified but ... probably won't get to it until tomorrow (too late, will be checking out.)  Each time we returned, front desk has to come up to unlock when housekeeping on the floor are gone for the day.  Things happened that I'm sure that they didn't wish for in their plans.  

It's hurricane season & more tropical disturbances coming across, one in the gulf but appeared to be heading toward Mexico.  Just contacted one of our nieces as her family with 2 kids has been staying at Nassau for the past week, currently at Atlantas - reporting that all is fine, raining hard but feeling safe, secure & well taken care of ... just not sure if airport will be up & running tomorrow or Wednesday as it is back to school later this week for the children.  Dorian still brutually pounding the northern Bahamas as a Cat-4 storm with 140 mph wind - 4 deaths reported & an estimated 13,000 homes destroyed.  It is threatening the entire Florida & lower Mid-Atlantic coastline next ... a matter of basic survival for some, life & death and I hope & pray FEMA has its things" together, because - well.  

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, hilomelko said:

What would you propose that they do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hilomelko said:

It's a hurricane, not a planned social event. Next time don't book during the hurricane season.

• Like 14

OP , do you really think NCL wants to be in this situation? And yes they will lose money as it currently stands.

The key cards (as mentioned) are programmed for the 7 days. Do you think the crew enjoys working longer hours just to unlock cabins? They already work long days.

The frustration of pax is understandable which equates to crews frustration. 4,500 pax want "their problems" to be solved first. It can't/doesn't work that way. 

It's past time the pax, safely on the ship, start to understand there are far, far, far more catastrophic issue with hurricane Dorian.

They will eventually go home to a normal life, same can't be said for people in the direct path of Dorian

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It's all part of the adventure. Be happy that you'll be on land soon and not circling around the Florida keys waiting for the hurricane to make its move (last report it was stopped).  

It is still not moving. My heart really goes out to the people of the northern Bahamas. They are still getting hammered.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, hilomelko said:

Only 500 at the desk, I guess that shows some people take life a little better than others. seems you are having a lot of trouble adjusting to what can't be helped. Are you coming to CC several times a day to get sympathy? If so, you are not going to get enough to put in a small Orange juice can. I hope next time you cruise you think twice as to what time of the year you cruise. Be thankful you are not a resident of the Bahamas or stuck on the ship in the middle of the sea somewhere with the hurricane all around you. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, hilomelko said:

They are going to lose a lot of money in lost revenue and extra expenses.  The work on the POM terminal is being delayed even longer.  The crew is going to lose the DSC for a cancelled cruise.  A lot of good will is being wasted, too.  

I thought NCL had a pretty good recovery response in San Juan, but matters don't appear to be handle well.

The expiration of key cards is something that should have been anticipated and communicated before it occurred.  Regarding the luggage tags, the disembarkation process is not solely up to NCL, but there were a few days to work it out.   I have to believe the cost of going to NO is very high for NCL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Are they letting people stay on the ship until they get a flight home, or are they kicking everyone off as soon as it docks today?

They are going to NO to "disembark". I'm pretty sure all pax must get off, if not they would have floated around until Miami port opened.

I remember being told by a cruise line employee that they carry 2-3 extra days of food. Today is that day when food is running very low or out.

This defending of NCL is super ridiculous. They are a million dollar business, scheduling ships during the hurricane season year for year. Of course every customer should expect them to have a couple of alternative scenarios played through in advance, some of them including adding a day or two to a voyage and having to end it at a different disembarkation port.

I have no idea how anyone can seriously think its okay that NCL isn't prepared for that.

We had our cruise extended a day on the Gem back in 2011 due to a hurricane. Each guest had a new key card waiting in their room for the use during that extra day. This means NCL knows that the keys stop working and new ones have to be issued. There's no reason why the Breakaway staff couldn't get working on this as soon as they learned the sailing would be extended. The news that the Breakaway would go to NO is relatively new but we knew this current sailing would be extended for a few days more. IMO the Breakaway dropped the ball here. I don't fault NCL for the mishandling of the overall situation but there's no reason passengers shouldn't have key card access right now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

They are going to NO to "disembark". I'm pretty sure all pax must get off, if not they would have floated around until Miami port opened.

I remember being told by a cruise line employee that they carry 2-3 extra days of food. Today is that day when food is running very low or out.

We were on one of the Jewell class ships (can't remember which one) and an officer told us they have 30 days extra worth of food at all times. Maybe on the bigger ships that would be too much food. 

Edited by Peachypooh

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

3 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

We were on one of the Jewell class ships (can't remember which one) and an officer told us they have 30 days extra worth of food at all times. Maybe on the bigger ships that would be too much food. 

The ships will have enough food in reserve for nearly the next cruise (7-10 days), not 2-3 or 30.  There may be 30 days of "dry stores" (canned or packaged food), but there is not enough room for an additional 30 days (not accounting for the spoilage if they did).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I might be tempted to put all my valuables in the safe (including medications) and hide

other things like laptops under the bed and just prop the door for easy access. Probably a

dumb idea but I might be tempted to be assured of access. Or tag team with my husband

with one person in the cabin at all times to let the other in. Even if I lose a

few things to random people coming in and swiping stuff it is better  than those poor people

being battered by the storm. I really feel for them.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The ships will have enough food in reserve for nearly the next cruise (7-10 days), not 2-3 or 30.  There may be 30 days of "dry stores" (canned or packaged food), but there is not enough room for an additional 30 days (not accounting for the spoilage if they did).

Thanks Chengkp75. 

I do remember on our hurricane cruise that at the end of 2nd extra days they did run out of bacon and a couple of other hot items .

Thats before they started passing out the bacon😂😂😂😂😂