Cruise Critic Community
jmadams

stateroom steward and anytime dining tipping

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Does Azamara reduce the price on their cruises when sailing in locations where tipping isn't part of the culture? 

As I said I don’t have a problem with the daily gratuity charge, whether paid as part of your cruise fare ( as with Azamara, Regent, Crystal etc) or paid onboard (though I’d prefer they were part of the fare) but I don’t like people then tipping on top, unless a crew member has done something exceptional. I expect crew members to serve me promptly, correctly and with a smile, so don’t think that would deserve a tip!

When passengers tip extra on top of the gratuity charge for every bit of service, that creates an expectation that everyone should do so.

I would be fine if Princess included the auto-gratuity in the cruise fare for all parts of the world, which would simplify and eliminate a lot of this.  Then there is no expectation of additional tipping, but people are free to do so if they feel warranted.  They could even build the 18% into all of the drink prices everywhere, like they already do for Australia market.  But it will likely take a bold move by a main-line cruise company to make this change because they will think the market will view them as more costly.  OTOH, if Carnival Corp could make a sweeping change for all their brands at once, that would make a significant market change.  Having said that, probably which ever way they go, the North American culture is built around a tipping norm that won't easily change, so we are conditioned with it.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:49 AM, MissP22 said:

Because most of the world doesn't do things like you do in the UK.

The US is the outlier here.  Our tipping culture is spreading.  

On 9/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, MissP22 said:

Actually most of the civilized world does not rely on tipping. Employees are paid a decent wage in the civilized world.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, MissP22 said:

Don't they 🙂? Does most of the world have a culture of tipping or not? In some countries there might be occasional tipping, but  I think that in most of the world, wages are not set at such a level that tipping is expected and even required by staff to make a living wage.

As always diverse views on tipping. It is a cultural thing, most of us Brits will tip for good service but not to the levels  that Americans do. We have an 18 night cruise next year and to pay about £400 for tips, plus 18% on top of all drinks is just crazy to me. I know many will want to slam me but that is the way I am conditioned and after 70 plus years I am not going to change now. Auto tipping will be adjusted and I will be content.

7 hours ago, CZEE said:

The US is the outlier here.  Our tipping culture is spreading.  

It certainly isnt spreading. Sorry to disappoint but US isnt the be all and end all in the world P&O have just included tips into cruise fare and so do many other cruise lines and in many parts of the world tipping isnt expected and in some classed as offensive.

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It certainly isnt spreading. Sorry to disappoint but US isnt the be all and end all in the world P&O have just included tips into cruise fare and so do many other cruise lines and in many parts of the world tipping isnt expected and in some classed as offensive.

Since some cultures don't conform to the norm, It sounds as though their going to get the tip money one way of the other. 

The only thing left to do is not patronize those cruise lines. :classic_biggrin:

Just booked a MSC cruise, tipping is included, it even says in the booking info no need to tip extra. I find it sad that the American service industry is based on “ begging” for a salary. 

whoa 🤨  easy there my Arsenal F C fan. If ya don't wanna tip extra,  than don't.   

2 hours ago, antsp said:

Just booked a MSC cruise, tipping is included, it even says in the booking info no need to tip extra. I find it sad that the American service industry is based on “ begging” for a salary. 

So that means you will be frequenting the MSC board more right?   🤔

Yet you claim to live in this god forsaken country though.

39 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So that means you will be frequenting the MSC board more right?   🤔

Yet you claim to live in this god forsaken country though.

The msc is probably be a one off, but I will post a full review and comparison to Princess on our return, the cruise itself is not until January. We live 5 1/2 months of the year in the US and the remainder in the UK. 

There is no need for extra tipping  unless  some one goes way above a beyond their normal job responsibilities for you /us   .The idea of extra tipping does not guarantee better service  .The entire ship workers  share in your $14. 50 0r higher for suites each day; except  management levels   .Your cabin steward & wait staff get the larger portions  & those people behind the scenes share in the balance 

If amy one wants yo know the break out of tips then contact Princess or on the ship customer relations 

Also remember that   those workers on a ship are non  tax paying individuals  & with the very strong US dollar they do quite well when converted to their local currencies  .Un like American workers in hospitality  jobs who must pay taxes ,social secuirty ie  out of their earnings  including their tips

Edited by mcrcruiser

We stick with the automatics, plus for individuals whom provide more personalized service, such as a regular waiter or bar server, room steward, etc. US or Euro Twenty's are generally the preferred currency for extras.

We usually also include the Head Waiter if we would like a regular table in a particular section and/or time for ATD. We find that helps the process along. 

17 hours ago, antsp said:

With the Princess daily hotel charge that is actually a tip shared with all cabin stewards and food serving staff, there is also no need to tip above that on Princess for those staff members.

I fully understand the Princess way, I just leave the auto on and very rarely tip extra, use room service and sometimes $2 extra, again this not required. Had a thread going on a few weeks ago were Colocruiser insisted that the speciality restaurant staff where not part of auto tip, saying if you eat there and don't tip you are stiffing the staff

On 9/9/2019 at 4:20 AM, majortom10 said:

I'm not ethnocentric and I certainly didn't say or infer that the US was the be all end all in the world.  That's your spin.  However, the practice of tipping over and above the daily charge is certainly spreading.  That's certainly spreading and it started on ships catering to Americans.  I'm sorry P&O is no longer all inclusive. 

22 hours ago, antsp said:

Had a thread going on a few weeks ago were Colocruiser insisted that the speciality restaurant staff where not part of auto tip, saying if you eat there and don't tip you are stiffing the staff

And I insist that they are part of the tipping pool.

(And, by the way, none of the charge for a specialty restaurant meal goes to the waitstaff.)

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

(And, by the way, none of the charge for a specialty restaurant meal goes to the waitstaff.)

That is what I was told by a crew member who was working in a speciality restaurant. We were talking one day when I spotted him working in the buffet area.

48 minutes ago, caribill said:

Agreed. 🙂

5 hours ago, CZEE said:

I'm not ethnocentric and I certainly didn't say or infer that the US was the be all end all in the world.  That's your spin.  However, the practice of tipping over and above the daily charge is certainly spreading.  That's certainly spreading and it started on ships catering to Americans.  I'm sorry P&O is no longer all inclusive. 

The previous poster said that P&O UK is all inclusive. P&O Aust has been all-inclusive since 2009.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Correct, the Crown grill staff are part of the tip pool, if you tip in the Crown grill and you haven't removed the auto tip you are tipping extra, more importantly if you don't tip you are not stiffing the crew 

14 hours ago, CZEE said:

But P&O is more inclusive because you pay your cruise fare and tips/gratuities are inclusive and not required unless personal choice and if you buy a drink in the bar there is no extra surcharge of 15%/18% like on all American ships and the price of drinks are also a lot cheaper soare more inclusive than American cruise lines. You can hardly say American cruise lines are fully inclusive when after booking cruise you then have $14-50 pppd added to your onboard account and then 18% added to every drink plus many unnecessarily tip even more.

Edited by majortom10

On 9/6/2019 at 4:42 AM, bemis12 said:

If you worked on the ship, would you prefer a US calling card or cash?

I think they have to turn in the cash; doubt they have to do so with the calling card.