Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
nyc2pdx

Drinks Package

Recommended Posts

On 9/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Just an FYI, NCL makes you pay for the taxes while in US Ports (at least in Florida).  They're not just like 6% or 7% like sales tax, but like $4/drink!  We racked up a hefty bill of about $30-$40 while IN PORT before we left the dock!  All because we were drinking double Woodford Reserve's instead of Bulliet Bourbon (which I love), but I thought I'd be the big shot and start to get my money's worth! Oh well, again, you only live once!  (Still waiting for my liver transplant btw.....)

Wait, they slap you with the tax even if you have the PB+ package??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

apparently so!  I'll wait until we are at sea to start drinking.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 4:04 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Oh, and btw, my wife and daughter went to Starbucks a few times, thinking it would charge $5-$7/coffee, they were never charged!  NOT saying that it is included, but......

 

I thought Starbucks is what was meant by "specialty coffee".  Am I not correct?  I haven't cruised yet, my first one is in May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gcmaverick said:

Wait, they slap you with the tax even if you have the PB+ package??

They don't the city/port does silly, unless you're referring to "they" as "the man"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

apparently so!  I'll wait until we are at sea to start drinking.  Has anyone else had this issue?

The issue of being charged whilst in port until reaching international waters is something that almost everyone has had. Unless staff decide to delay ringing up drinks (which does occasionally happen) then it happens to everyone who drinks in those ports.

 

However, being charged $4 per drink is extremely rare. Obviously it is dependant on the cost of the drink you buy. There is absolutely no need to wait until you are at sea to start drinking, but it’s probably worth avoiding the $60 drinks at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Just an FYI, NCL makes you pay for the taxes while in US Ports (at least in Florida).  They're not just like 6% or 7% like sales tax, but like $4/drink!  We racked up a hefty bill of about $30-$40 while IN PORT before we left the dock!  All because we were drinking double Woodford Reserve's instead of Bulliet Bourbon (which I love), but I thought I'd be the big shot and start to get my money's worth! Oh well, again, you only live once!  (Still waiting for my liver transplant btw.....)

Yes, the tax on $46 drink is ~$3.68 per drink (plus the $19 upcharge for the premium drink). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The issue of being charged whilst in port until reaching international waters is something that almost everyone has had. Unless staff decide to delay ringing up drinks (which does occasionally happen) then it happens to everyone who drinks in those ports.

 

However, being charged $4 per drink is extremely rare. Obviously it is dependant on the cost of the drink you buy. There is absolutely no need to wait until you are at sea to start drinking, but it’s probably worth avoiding the $60 drinks at that time.

 

I was drinking double Woodford Reserve's...Guess that about $18-20/drink x 2?  It was only about $20 total, so not a big deal what so ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Does the regular drink package you get for free include bottle beer?  The description says draft beer.

It certainly does. Most beer comes in bottles and it is all included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

 

I was drinking double Woodford Reserve's...Guess that about $18-20/drink x 2?  It was only about $20 total, so not a big deal what so ever

I’m a bit confused how $18-20 x 2 comes to about $20. Where I come from it would be about $40.

 

The menu I have seen has Woodford Reserve listed as $23, which agrees with Birdtravels numbers above (although you wouldn’t need to pay the upcharge if you have the plus package.

 

You were charged the correct tax on your $46 drink. The reason why most people pay less tax isn’t because of any miscalculation, but that your drink cost about 4-5 times more than what most people are drinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...