Jump to content

August 25th review of the SS Minnow...I mean the Breakaway


Shoppie124
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

Hmmm. I see the play arrow but no image.  When I click play it shows the video. 

Same on my end.  

 

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

 

I wouldn't waste time trying to fix it, your pics are great by themselves.  🙂

I'm with Cole.  Pics are great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dinner Time!

Back to the Haven restaurant we go!

 

Davidette out did herself, muddled raspberries, gin, mint...I’m in love!  Doug had a gin drink with lime and mint...very refreshing!

 

 

Me: Filet

Doug: Shrimp Skewers

Sara: bet you can guess what she had😂😂😂

 

Added:  As I became painfully aware...I didn’t get much in the way of Poe TA Toes as my minion always stole them...this dinner was no different 😂

 

I know you are all awaiting the juicy part...it’s coming...at this point we are blissfully unaware what we were in for...  the Captain gave us daily updates...Hurricane Dorian is blah blah blah nautical miles from us.  He might have well said it was on the moon because every update ended with we anticipate smooth seas...

C8B6036A-91FB-4101-A56B-442ECB565B98.jpeg

FEDAFF24-952F-480E-9C4E-2FE281074A3A.jpeg

3E5A2DDA-C8D8-4D6F-9FD0-F778E9E6BE05.jpeg

40D7FEAD-C3E6-46B1-BE7C-63882E4E3255.jpeg

9B94C350-5DF9-4AF9-8C58-45FF9F16D91A.jpeg

FA3B06B3-64AC-453D-99B6-7616CEC36D3F.jpeg

1E45170E-940D-490F-AD93-EDF86CE87680.jpeg

Edited by Shoppie124
Missed something
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shoppie124 said:

I know you are all awaiting the juicy part...it’s coming...at this point we are blissfully unaware what we were in for...  the Captain gave us daily updates...Hurricane Dorian is blah blah blah nautical miles from us.  He might have well said it was on the moon because every update ended with we anticipate smooth seas...

 

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I want to congratulate you on your approach to this, yes there is a juicy bit everyone is anticipating but you have not allowed it to influence your enjoyment of your vacation, so many people only remember the bad bits and forget they had a wonderful experience before the problems.

It is wonderful you have not allowed the last few days to sour your overall memories and experiences, 5 pages in and still a wonderful review without a gripe in sight.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

 

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I want to congratulate you on your approach to this, yes there is a juicy bit everyone is anticipating but you have not allowed it to influence your enjoyment of your vacation, so many people only remember the bad bits and forget they had a wonderful experience before the problems.

It is wonderful you have not allowed the last few days to sour your overall memories and experiences, 5 pages in and still a wonderful review without a gripe in sight.

Thank you!  Everything was out of our control.  When life gives you lemons make margaritas 😊

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the review so far. We are on the Breakaway  on 9/22, my birthday, and am also staying in the Haven. Just one question for you. Beside the request for the grapes did do have any other pre sailing requests and did you get what you asked for. Thanks and keep the review coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ajs922 said:

Love the review so far. We are on the Breakaway  on 9/22, my birthday, and am also staying in the Haven. Just one question for you. Beside the request for the grapes did do have any other pre sailing requests and did you get what you asked for. Thanks and keep the review coming.

I have some crazy allergies.  Grapes, blueberries, feathers...  NCL was very accommodating.  Our butler was not so accommodating.  Make sure you go over your precruise requests with the butler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ajs922 said:

Love the review so far. We are on the Breakaway  on 9/22, my birthday, and am also staying in the Haven. Just one question for you. Beside the request for the grapes did do have any other pre sailing requests and did you get what you asked for. Thanks and keep the review coming.

See post #101.  

 

Also to add, we celebrate my daughters adoption day the last week in August.  Nothing was done by the preconcierge.  Nothing was done by our butler either.

 

sorry answered you twice..it’s been a rough week!

Edited by Shoppie124
Add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to Costa Maya!

 

Where we are still oblivious to the adventure ahead😂

 

Handstand is a must!

 

I was not impressed with the dolphins at the port.  They seemed sickly.  Doug saw an iguana and thought LUNCH!😂😂😂

 

Let’s not forget the fake Mayan ruins.

0CF5FDD7-DC5D-4FD6-9AFE-C70C5E8A6DBF.jpeg

1F8872A6-0568-49DA-A446-A459665AA832.jpeg

6EB611C7-37E9-4685-8F09-B63878FC688F.jpeg

7DE5C464-897B-4958-808C-8D2C9021A8ED.jpeg

859D8DBB-FD4A-4407-85CE-4ADB1581CED8.jpeg

09DA92E4-35E3-4456-8088-7B7DE80D99C4.jpeg

1BAC048B-DDD8-47BD-995A-EB35CC7A52F7.jpeg

7097FEDD-0877-43A9-A8F6-DA75CD6A4E0E.jpeg

60C2CDFC-A915-4A65-828D-6D8DA503E3AD.jpeg

Edited by Shoppie124
Sp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We booked our excursion through Native Choice.  It’s super close to the port.  Walk to the fake Mayan Ruin, hang a left and walk an NYC 1.5 blocks and you’re there!

 

They loaded us onto brand new vans.  Ours had 14,000 km on it!  They handed us bottled water as we got on.

 

Off to Chacchoben we go!

Our guide was very informative.  He taught us about the Mayan culture.  He taught us some phrases as well.  This will be phonetic 

 

malo king means good morning 

yepotik mean thank you

 

So next time you meet a Mayan, you can do the pleasantries.

 

Another tidbit he told us is most Mayan children move away when they are older and then send presents back to their families.  Grandma get a fridge but she uses it for storage not food.  Mom got a microwave for mother’s day and every time she uses it the village loses power.  Mom’s favorite thing to make in the microwave is popcorn... so much for movie night😂😂😂😂

 

He also told us how the kids have to either hitch hike or ride their bikes to school once they hit middle school.  Sara didn’t realize how easy she has it!

52EBFF67-C939-4BD8-99CB-FF3BBFD4E280.jpeg

8531700D-0D5B-4737-B677-EF819B5825E6.jpeg

66F26E00-9129-4BC1-9C9E-62E9C3EE52C7.jpeg

95444E00-68FB-48B6-864A-B1E553E69947.jpeg

8ACE6829-8745-4B7C-A91C-17F85F1740FD.jpeg

8BF40DC8-58B2-48E1-9E23-422126AD869E.jpeg

F88C8134-8283-4C72-9CF1-161492C805CB.jpeg

6D39F085-5352-4593-856E-4C2F7975CE1C.jpeg

86070683-CFCB-4B4A-B418-03746EAA115E.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chacchoben...

 

We arrived at the ruins a little before 10am.  I swore I would never follow a flag but here I am.

 

Take note as to how empty the parking lot is and how empty the fields are by the ruins! 

 

When you can handstand in front of the ruins and be the only one in the picture, that’s pretty exclusive!

 

We learned that the Yucatán Peninsula is very flat and any hill or mound indicates there is something buried there.  Our guide also told us that he grew up in the area just beneath the clearing.  You could see his mother’s house from the ruins.... I couldn’t resist to ask him to have her turn on her microwave 😂😂😂

 

He also mentioned that his father was the person who originally found Chacchoben back in the 1940s.  Super cool or a line of BS.  Still made a great story.

 

The best part!  We were done with our tour and walking out, we ran into friends from the cruise ship...they were just getting started!  The place was a mad house!

2245A695-FF51-4404-B40C-F8E1F490B986.jpeg

B71967FC-78C7-455A-85E2-AEA9C4CABB13.jpeg

F75212DF-2485-4388-926A-27A1670AAA07.jpeg

0B105607-4CE7-47D0-B57D-BBA876686982.jpeg

917A3CF4-A072-453E-9342-C22D4FFD8CFD.jpeg

4E9686B2-99BB-4BD3-893E-1E6FBB30A636.jpeg

B59F1387-6C30-4F56-883A-7BBCE28A1D17.jpeg

B9FF35CA-CB5C-40CD-AF21-9310CBFB0E39.jpeg

82C1A3A4-7A0A-47D7-A9C5-1EB0251EA761.jpeg

187B0349-476D-4126-927D-98A2C6396305.jpeg

BFD04E62-60D6-4446-A2EB-8AC023140817.jpeg

2A15FD7D-AD40-4FC6-BFA2-9EEB0479AC89.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ajs922 said:

Love the review so far. We are on the Breakaway  on 9/22, my birthday, and am also staying in the Haven. Just one question for you. Beside the request for the grapes did do have any other pre sailing requests and did you get what you asked for. Thanks and keep the review coming.

Happy Birthday!  We share the same birthday. Want to take a birthday cruise some year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

Sara is a gymnast/diver.  She eats more than me.  I’m 5’9” and she’s 4’12” (according to Sara) but really is 4’11.5”😂😂😂😂

 

I was also a diver  --  I kept hitting my head on the board, so the Coach informed me I had to choose between diving & gymnastics...

No choice - Gymnastics!

He then proceeded to complain to my mother that I had left the team 🙂  She just laughed & asked him what he thought my response was going to be when given the ultimatum...  His next step was to attempt to entice me back to the team.  Needless to say it didn't work 🙂

I loved gymnastics - I competed for 8 years, until I was 5'8" @ 14 & I was too tall for the equipment...

At age 30 I decided I wanted to return - I called a local club in Shreveport to see if they had adult classes.  The coach invited me to join the tumbling class aimed @ the HS Cheerleaders.  There's me (the tallest) & 10 HS Cheerleaders plus a college student who was training for the Miss Louisiana Competition...  It was a great work-out & great fun 3 nights a week.  After practice, the coaches & I would go out for cocktails 🙂  The HS Cheerleaders were a little put out that I could walk in (from nowhere in their opinion) & whip out aerials, back handsprings, flips & front aerials...  At one point I tried out the bars to see if they had increased in size, alas - I was still too tall.  I did get a little vaulting in - so that was fun 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Von & John said:

 

I was also a diver  --  I kept hitting my head on the board, so the Coach informed me I had to choose between diving & gymnastics...

No choice - Gymnastics!

He then proceeded to complain to my mother that I had left the team 🙂  She just laughed & asked him what he thought my response was going to be when given the ultimatum...  His next step was to attempt to entice me back to the team.  Needless to say it didn't work 🙂

I loved gymnastics - I competed for 8 years, until I was 5'8" @ 14 & I was too tall for the equipment...

At age 30 I decided I wanted to return - I called a local club in Shreveport to see if they had adult classes.  The coach invited me to join the tumbling class aimed @ the HS Cheerleaders.  There's me (the tallest) & 10 HS Cheerleaders plus a college student who was training for the Miss Louisiana Competition...  It was a great work-out & great fun 3 nights a week.  After practice, the coaches & I would go out for cocktails 🙂  The HS Cheerleaders were a little put out that I could walk in (from nowhere in their opinion) & whip out aerials, back handsprings, flips & front aerials...  At one point I tried out the bars to see if they had increased in size, alas - I was still too tall.  I did get a little vaulting in - so that was fun 🙂

Sara dives with a local club and they are begging her to continue.  She been doing gymnastics for 7 years.  She is competing level 7 this year.  We will be lucky if this kid is 5’2” hence why we gave her the nickname Midget as I’m 5’9” and her dad is 6’7”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...