Itinerary Poll: Carnival Panorama vs Carnival Vista?

jbethel11

Carnival Panorama vs Carnival Vista?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival Panorama vs Carnival Vista?

• Carnival Panorama, 7 Day Mexican Riviera
    • Carnival Vista, 7 Day Western Caribbean

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You have to consider the itinerary too when comparing prices. There is a reason Carnival has not put a large ship on the West coast prior to Panorama. No doubt Carnival will be watching bookings closely to see if the West coast can support a larger Carnival ship long term. 

The West Coast did so for years . . . the PRIDE, TROPICALE, JUBILEE, SPLENDOR, ELATION, and now the PANORAMA. Identical itinerary.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, ABQrobin said:

Honestly, thousands of tourists go to each and every one of these ports DAILY and nothing happens to them as long as they are drunk walking around in a bad section of town after dark.  

I don't think being drunk walking around after dark in a bad part of town is ever a good idea 😉

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, glrounds said:

The West Coast did so for years . . . the PRIDE, TROPICALE, JUBILEE, SPLENDOR, ELATION, and now the PANORAMA. Identical itinerary.

Gary, you know people will say the Panorama holds thousands more guests than the Jubilee 🙂  I think it's great Carnival is testing the waters on the west coast with a new Vista class ship. I hope they have success here.

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

Gary, you know people will say the Panorama holds thousands more guests than the Jubilee 🙂  I think it's great Carnival is testing the waters on the west coast with a new Vista class ship. I hope they have success here.

Jubilee as well as the Tropical and the Elation WERE BIG ships at the time they did the 7-dayer out of Long Beach. The SPLENDOR (cruised her 3 times) was certainly not a small ship either. The PRIDE was my favorite (also a large ship for Carnival at the time)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Not sure I understand your comment. All of the ships you mentioned are smaller ships. I understand Carnival has sailed from the West coast for a long time. But they didn’t put one of their bigger ships (Dream or Vista class) out there until Panorama.  And if you look at posts on this site or do mock bookings online, you will see lots of good deals on Panorama, which leads me to believe demand is not as high as Carnival hoped for.  

I voted the Vista/Caribbean cruise simply because I love the Caribbean. My only trip to Mexico was a Carnival cruise back in the 80's when I was a teenager with my friend and her mother, and I don't remember it well, but I do remember not really enjoying it compared to the Caribbean cruise I took the year before with my mother and friend.

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure I understand your comment. All of the ships you mentioned are smaller ships. I understand Carnival has sailed from the West coast for a long time. But they didn’t put one of their bigger ships (Dream or Vista class) out there until Panorama.  And if you look at posts on this site or do mock bookings online, you will see lots of good deals on Panorama, which leads me to believe demand is not as high as Carnival hoped for.  

Not sure I understand why you don't understand. All the ships I listed were large ships in their time period (you probably weren't around then). I booked the PANORAMA about a year ago, got a price about the same as the SPLENDOR another "large" ship which Carnival had out of Long Beach for quite some time. Forgot to mention the MIRACLE which also did well out of LB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I have my doubts....

Grasshopper, you pose an interesting choice, ship wise, I would choose the Panorama for the obvious reasons.  Itinerary wise I would choose Vista.  A couple of caveats, Matt Michum may not be the CD and he is a big plus, and not sure if you ever have done e=western.  The Mexican Riviera is simply not the same.  All said, I voted for Panorama.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Not sure I understand why you don't understand. All the ships I listed were large ships in their time period (you probably weren't around then). I booked the PANORAMA about a year ago, got a price about the same as the SPLENDOR another "large" ship which Carnival had out of Long Beach for quite some time. Forgot to mention the MIRACLE which also did well out of LB.

There is a significant difference between filling smaller ships and ships that literally hold twice as many passengers. It’s not like the population on the West coast has doubled over the last 20 years. More importantly, when I first heard Panorama was going to the West coast at a Diamond special event two years ago or so, even the officers at the event said Carnival wasn’t certain there would be enough demand long term out West to support the ship. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

So Carnival Panorama isn't predicted to thrive according to officers in the D&P party? @PhillyFan33579

What I heard was they weren’t sure a new ship would last long term on the West coast. as opposed to putting a new ship on the East coast at a port like Miami where odds are extremely high a new ship will do well.  

There are a limited number of ports you can reach in a one week cruise from Long Beach, unlike one week cruises from Florida, for example. A lot of cruisers are not interested in going on the exact same itinerary on the same ship. I don’t fall into this category but I know a lot of people who won’t do the same cruise twice. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are a limited number of ports you can reach in a one week cruise from Long Beach, unlike one week cruises from Florida, for example.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=1015

Royal Princess, which is longer than the Carnival Panorama, is doing a 7 night itinerary which includes stops to NorCal, San Diego and Mexico. I could see Carnival doing it in the future if Panorama does stay in Long Beach, though I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree, you are correct. Every time any cruise line tries to make a go of it on the west coast they usually wind up deeply discounting fares to fill the ships.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, jbethel11 said:

Thank you, and I did appreciate your map, as it may be one of the ultimate deciding factors (that and the pricing, of course)! 😁

Just a question out of curiosity. When you are looking at cruises to book do your parents have an amount they'll let you spend or do they give you carte blanche and let you book whatever you want?

OK one more question. Are they up for adopting me? 😋

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I agree, you are correct. Every time any cruise line tries to make a go of it on the west coast they usually wind up deeply discounting fares to fill the ships.

But yet Carnival Panorama is priced the highest out of the three Vista class ships, as seen attached below. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.19.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.23.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.26.55 PM.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

But yet Carnival Panorama is priced the highest out of the three Vista class ships, as seen attached below. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.19.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.23.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.26.55 PM.png

You’re still 11 months out. I’d say fares will look a little different in 8 months. Prices will be up a little more than usual for these cruises basing it on this being a new ship.

Galveston also usually has lower fares than a Caribbean cruises leaving from Florida.

Florida ports are easily accessed from Florida airports, Galveston not so much.

Just basing my statements on what I’ve seen since I started cruising cruising 21 years ago. YMMV

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

You’re still 11 months out. I’d say fares will look a little different in 8 months. Prices will be up a little more than usual for these cruises basing it on this being a new ship.

Galveston also usually has lower fares than a Caribbean cruises leaving from Florida.

Florida ports are easily accessed from Florida airports, Galveston not so much.

Just basing my statements on what I’ve seen since I started cruising cruising 21 years ago. YMMV

So, are you saying in April 2020 I should expect to see lower prices?

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

So, are you saying in April 2020 I should expect to see lower prices?

New ships demand a premium, how long that premium will last is unknown.  Without getting off target, Galveston is Carnival’s best cruise port int terms of dollars.

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

New ships demand a premium, how long that premium will last is unknown.

So is Carnival inflating the price because it's a brand new ship, even if it may not be selling well?

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Without getting off target, Galveston is Carnival’s best cruise port int terms of dollars.

But you voted for Panorama, why? Just curious.