Cruise Critic Community
dkjretired

Royal starts relief efforts.

Just posting this info as and FYI, please note this is from Royal Caribbean Ltd which is the corporate parent of Celebrity so effects Celebrity  

The Bahamas has always been more than a destination for Royal Caribbean and our guests. 

(PRNewsfoto/Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.)

For more than half a century, we've made many friends and many memories. The Bahamas is also home to more than 500 of our colleagues who work at Perfect Day at CocoCay and the Grand Bahama Shipyard. 

So in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, we're rolling up our sleeves to help our friends, and inviting our guests to help. 

Royal Caribbean is committing $1 million to Dorian disaster relief, and ITM—our partner in the Holistica joint venture that is developing the Grand Lucayan resort in Freeport—is also donating an additional $100,000

To make sure our donations go where they can do the most good, we are collaborating with the Bahamian government and our non-profit partner, the Pan American Development Foundation (PADF), and a network of Bahamian charities and other local organizations, including the Bahamas Feeding Network.

We are loading all kinds of goods onto our ships— generators, water, cleaning supplies, clean sheets, towels, and more—for direct delivery to the Bahamas. The trained employee volunteers we call the GO Team are on their way to assist with relief efforts. And we're taking special care of coworkers and their families who were affected by the storm. 

And we're matching every dollar of guest and employee donations to PADF so they can help our friends as well. 

We can't make every bad memory of Dorian go away. But we can start making things better—today. If you want to contribute please click this LINK and get started.

Thank you for posting this. Praying for all the victims of this devastation and their families. I have enjoyed visiting these islands and their people many times on cruises. The pictures coming out from the Bahamas are just heartbreaking.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

We were the first ship to visit Antigua as I recall, and I remember seeing staff on the Equinox offload mattresses, water, and other supplies  in the wake of  hurricane Irma a couple of years ago.  I think they did the same on other affected islands as well.

1 minute ago, aml3679 said:

Celebrity should follow in my humble opinion.

Celebrity is part of RC

This is a corporate effort invoving many entities.....RCL, Celebrity (not Azamara at this time because their ships are currenty far away.)  The parent corporation also owns a charter air service and I would not be surprised if some of their aircraft have been deployed to help

I lived on my boat in the Bahamas and have never seen as bad a H-Cane as this.

The sad news will trickle  in over the next few days..... 

Fortunately the immediate Past President of Rotary International is from the Bahamas. He's organizing major fundraising and relief efforts by Rotarians through Rotary International and individual Rotary Clubs. RCL has really been supportive of humanitarian efforts in the past. I'm very familiar with what they did without publicity in Haiti.

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

A Sixth, I'm glad you are okay.

In our thoughts. ❤️

Im in Montreal, having lived in the Caribbean and Bahamas for years.

Thank you very much for posting. I am pleased that a corporation such as RCCL/X is taking action to support a community in dire needs, that has welcomed its ships years after years. 

This gesture honours the corporation, its employees and even, its guests.

My prayers go to the Bahamian people!!! I hope they will soon receive and feel the warm support from the international community. 

I know that Canada is also planning to send supplies and support to the archipelago. I hope this support will reach the people very soon! 

1 hour ago, A Sixth? said:

Im in Montreal, having lived in the Caribbean and Bahamas for years.

I missed lived. Still hope you are doing well.

Today’s photographs show such devastation. I hope that all who have visited these islands will contribute something toward their restoration.  

23 hours ago, aml3679 said:

Celebrity should follow in my humble opinion.

They Are!

The Equinox will be in Freeport tomorrow delivering meals and supplies along with an RCI ship. Kudos to Celebrity and her parent company!