What's great at the International Cafe?

tjcletzgo

11 hours ago, ahl said:

Discovered the Pistachio Pudding on Caribbean Princess!

IMG_0029.JPG

I dream about this pudding 😌. Absolutely sublime. DH will snag an extra one for our fridge when he sees them at the IC as he’s always afraid they won’t appear again...and they always do, at least twice during the week. Can’t wait til Christmas on the Sky! I believe it’s gluten free for those of you who are GF, but don’t quote me on that.

• Like 1

The small International Cafe on the CORAL might have limited offerings.

I am wondering if they usually do have the donuts. (not just the bread/pastries) each morning.

Gotta love a good donut!!!!

I noticed on our last sailing that even the Regal had limited offerings.

A lot of 'creative' display techniques to fill space, and have only two or maybe three trays of the items on the whole shelf.

Years ago, on the Ruby, they had some interesting small sandwiches and items.  I remember a wonderful little caprese type sandwich that I think also had a type of. ham or meat on it!  Seemed on our last cruise it was just those rolls with a little basic turkey/ham.  

6 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

but why does one have to pay for a regular coffee when all the food is complimentary

That thought crossed my mind as well.  The regular coffee was very good.  Maybe a different coffee than what is used in the Horizon Court/MDR?  I don't know.  

6 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Makes me hungry just looking at all the goodies, but why does one have to pay for a regular coffee when all the food is complimentary

Because the cruise lines decided to monetize something that everybody wants but nobody was paying any extra money for. The coffee in the IC is drip coffee and it is definitely different/better than what is served for free at the buffet and everywhere else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Mikado said:

The coffee in the IC is drip coffee and it is definitely different/better than what is served for free at the buffet and everywhere else. 

Thanks for answering my question in a previous post.  When my cup of coffee was poured from a pot sitting on a warming plate, I wondered about it before tasting it.  But, I thought that it was good coffee.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:44 PM, jimlouisesophie said:

Makes me hungry just looking at all the goodies, but why does one have to pay for a regular coffee when all the food is complimentary

I agree. Should be able to get the regular free drinks available in MDR or buffet.

• Like 1

The spinach/mushroom salad is extra!  I also love the shrimp and fennel dish.

DH and I go there on many mornings for a breakfast sandwich.  What's nice about the IC (for us anyway) is we can have a good meal and not overindulge too much.  The buffet has so many choices that we end up overeating.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lynniepoo said:

The spinach/mushroom salad is extra!  I also love the shrimp and fennel dish.

DH and I go there on many mornings for a breakfast sandwich.  What's nice about the IC (for us anyway) is we can have a good meal and not overindulge too much.  The buffet has so many choices that we end up overeating.

We've said that, too.  However, many times we go there for a light breakfast and then head up to the  buffet!  LOL

It's all good.  My only nitpick is that some of the baked goods (croissants, cookies) don't taste like they were cooked with much (if any) butter, but maybe it's my imagination.
If you get up at sunrise, it's a nice, quiet place to enjoy the ocean view and your coffee.  

I am not ashamed to admit that we select our cabin on each ship based on easy access to the IC. Lol.   The food there is excellent and great when I want a light lunch.  But mostly, I am known to sneak down there in my pajamas at midnight to snag some hot cocoa and the to-die-for double chocolate mousse shooters. They are nice pajamas, I promise.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, tailspintom said:

As a morning person, I agree that it is a nice quiet venue... up until the Zumba invasion at 8:00 (Regal April trans-Atlantic). Whoa baby it gets very loud and active. Before that, it is a nice quiet place to have a latte, download  your mail, read a chapter or two, and enjoy the very nice breakfast club who are typically there each morning.

I so agree with you on the "Zumba"  That was loud all the way from deck 7  down.  

7 minutes ago, hbrote said:

I so agree with you on the "Zumba"  That was loud all the way from deck 7  down.  

Just to clarify, I was not complaining about the noise. I understand that the activity has to take place somewhere and that location is ideal for the large number of people interested in Zumba-ing.

7 hours ago, namowal said:

My only nitpick is that some of the baked goods (croissants, cookies) don't taste like they were cooked with much (if any) butter, but maybe it's my imagination.

An interesting observation.  I thought the IC baked goods, i.e. croissants, to be equal to the quality of what was served in the MDR as compared to the Horizon Court on Coral Princess.  

I have never had a response to a previous question that I posted:  does the Coral Princess have a different Chief Baker for the Horizon Court and the MDR?  Certainly seemed to me that they did.