What's great at the International Cafe?

tjcletzgo

10 hours ago, namowal said:

It's all good.  My only nitpick is that some of the baked goods (croissants, cookies) don't taste like they were cooked with much (if any) butter, but maybe it's my imagination.
If you get up at sunrise, it's a nice, quiet place to enjoy the ocean view and your coffee.  

Croissants are made with butter.

Are you referring to cookies or biscuits? I don't remember ever seeing cookies at the IC.

11 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

I am a 5AM riser even on vacation so the International Cafe is my first stop. Two or 3 cups of drip coffee, a cup of fruit and an almond croissant almost every day. 

So are you peckish all day long and graze at the different venues?

18 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Are you referring to cookies or biscuits? I don't remember ever seeing cookies at the IC.

Croissants are supposed to be made with butter (at least to qualify as a croissant,) but I think the ones on the ship are made with shortening.  By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

4 minutes ago, namowal said:

Croissants are supposed to be made with butter (at least to qualify as a croissant,) but I think the ones on the ship are made with shortening.  By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

I doubt you could actually get shortening to work when making croissants. I know someone that used to be a croissant baker and the only thing they could get to work was butter.

6 minutes ago, namowal said:

By "cookies" I meant the American/Canadian definition (the things the rest of the English speaking world call "biscuits.")

Cookies and biscuits are very different.

Cookies have a high fat content. Biscuits have a low fat content and have a real crunch to them. They are also baked differently.

57 minutes ago, brisalta said:

They are behind the counter.  I don’t remember ever not seeing cookies at the IC.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

That thought crossed my mind as well.  The regular coffee was very good.  Maybe a different coffee than what is used in the Horizon Court/MDR?  I don't know.  

Yes, the Horizon is different coffee. Some kind of a syrup mixture. Found that out our last cruise. This cruise I plan to only get coffee at the IC. Some of those iced coffee drinks are also great

1 hour ago, namowal said:

Star and Grand too.   

I have never seen them in the IC on the Grand. Just various cakes, puddings, pies, sandwiches, soup and salads.

I have seen at 4 in the afternoon 2 crew wondering around with milk and cookies in the Piazza and various other places.

I will double check next week on the Grand.

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

Which ship's IC ?

Grand, Ruby, Star, Crown (what we've seen) all have them.  As Thrak said, ask.  My recollection is that around 5pm daily (?) someone walks around offering cookies by the IC.

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

On the Regal last week, they always had a huge tray of various cookies behind the counter. Lemon were the best. Also, loved the fruit tartlets and watermelon caprese salad. 

Yum, never had a lemon cookie.  I will ask on Saturday!!!!!!

22 hours ago, pamwigs said:

Yes, the Horizon is different coffee. Some kind of a syrup mixture. Found that out our last cruise. This cruise I plan to only get coffee at the IC. Some of those iced coffee drinks are also great

Depends on the ship.  The Royal class ships don't use the syrup concentrate in the horizon court; they have brewed coffee (for free).

13 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Depends on the ship.  The Royal class ships don't use the syrup concentrate in the horizon court; they have brewed coffee (for free).

I have heard that is now true of the Grand Princess, after her recent refit. I will find out next week.

Edited by brisalta