maximum amount of luggage you can bring on your cruise

15 minutes ago, Sugar67 said:

We always have to fly and I have pared it down so well now that I can do 11 days from a carry-on.  Includes 3 pairs of shoes and dresses for the dining room as well.  Our first cruise we took 5 bags between the 2 of us, never again! lol

I'm impressed you can fit 3 pairs! Or is it 2 plus what you're wearing? Still a bit impressed, but I have big feet so anything beyond sandals for me takes up a significant portion of my carryon bag. 

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

I'm impressed you can fit 3 pairs! Or is it 2 plus what you're wearing? Still a bit impressed, but I have big feet so anything beyond sandals for me takes up a significant portion of my carryon bag. 

2 plus the pair I wear 

I generally go on 2 week cruises, so with flying I leave the dresses at home and plan out 5/6 evening pants, then mix and match blouses so at least 2 to 3 tops will match. I take no more then 2 dress shoes. Day clothes I do the same plus a pair of good walking shoes. My toiletries and undergarments. I will pack 85 % in the carry on so I( am not without my essential clothes. If needed i will pack the other 22 " with the non essential items and toiletries with the sprays go in the checked bag. I will have one personal carry on with my medications and camera. I also try and use the packing cubes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Our cruise to Alaska (Ovation 11 night Glacier Cruise), we brought 30+ bags. It was definitely our record, lol! That was for 3 adults and a special needs child..

Am I reading this correctly ...... 30+ bags  :classic_blink:

On 9/4/2019 at 3:11 PM, Hogbay said:

The amount of luggage you can bring on a ship is variable to your cabin category. Do you have the Royal Suite ? Or are you in a inside cabin. ? 

If you are referring to raw size, that is one thing. If you mean that the cruise line dictates how much you can bring based on your stateroom category, NO.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Bring as much as you want.

I tof you drag along something ridiculously large it will be opened and sifted through by hand since it may not go through the ship's X-ray machine. 

T

Officially, absolutely take as much luggage as you want. Give it to a porter when you arrive at the port. He doesn't care about the size or weight

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you are referring to raw size, that is one thing. If you mean that the cruise line dictates how much you can bring based on your stateroom category, NO.

you have to keep your luggage in your room , so if you have cat 4V it is 140 sq ft and for cat RL it is 1,524 sq ft . { Oasis } . One could hold 20 plus suite cases the other would be funny to see 🙄🤣

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Am I reading this correctly ...... 30+ bags  :classic_blink:

Yeppers! 

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

30 bags, somehow doesn't sound right. How would you handle that many. I do well with 2.

We brought a dolly purchased from Costco... My husband rolled the two big bags with two sleeved duffels on top. My nurse rolled my daughter with strapped bags hanging on the back. I rolled the dolly with the rest of the bags packed Jenga-like. And I had my purse and a backpack. It was like an episode of the Monkees... "Here we come. Walking down the street. Get the funniest looks from... all the people we meet!"  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

you have to keep your luggage in your room , so if you have cat 4V it is 140 sq ft and for cat RL it is 1,524 sq ft . { Oasis } . One could hold 20 plus suite cases the other would be funny to see 🙄🤣

We are usually in Suites. HA CLS on Oasis class. HA Junior Spa Suite on Ovation. ATS or OS on Oasis class. So, yeah we have space, lol! Plus after I unpack all the cubes I stack all the suitcases/collapsible totes inside each other to condense.

If a single bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg) it greatly increases the risk of injury to the people handling the bag.  Not only the porters and crew, but also you.

Over 70 pounds, and it needs to be handled using two people or powered equipment.

This is why these are the limits for airline and shipping companies (UPS/FedEx/etc).

• Like 1

After years (decades) of cruising, I've turned into a minimalist when packing for a cruise.  I've become tired of hauling around big suitcases. Yes, you can drop them off at the port with a porter.  But, getting them from my home, to my car, to the airport, from the airport, to a taxi/uber, to the port, and then gathering all of that up at the port after the cruise, hauling them to a car/uber, to the airport and then from baggage carousel, to my car.....WHEW.....not doing that any more.

Basics only, that can fit in a roll aboard and backpack, having laundry done on board at least once on a 7 day cruise.  No more tuxes.  No more suits.  No more two outfits for each day.  The one extravagance I allow myself is my little Bose Speaker that I play when I'm in the cabin.

Save money when checking extra bags/over weight limit bags at the airport, too.

Plus, I find my cruise to be much more pleasurable when I don't have to worry about what to wear....when to wear it.

It's just a lot less stress not hauling around all that heavy luggage.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

Yeppers! 

We brought a dolly purchased from Costco... My husband rolled the two big bags with two sleeved duffels on top. My nurse rolled my daughter with strapped bags hanging on the back. I rolled the dolly with the rest of the bags packed Jenga-like. And I had my purse and a backpack. It was like an episode of the Monkees... "Here we come. Walking down the street. Get the funniest looks from... all the people we meet!"  

I would have loved to have seen all of this.:classic_smile:, Even though I do my best to carry the least amount of clothes possible, I still tend to over pack.Our next cruise for the daughter & myself is a b2b southern Caribbean out of SJ and I am going to look into cutting back the evening attires even more. Right now I have planned for 5 evening slacks and 2 /3 blouses to mix & match. Will see if I can't reduce to 3.

• Like 1

Hubs and I are down to 2 suit cases and a carry on bag.  He likes to dress up as he wears a uniform all week.  So it's a garment bag and suit case for us. After years of over packing, we have it down pretty well now.  Years ago we use to bring 2 large LL Bean duffle bags.  That's when there were no overage fees.  That's all changed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I would have loved to have seen all of this.:classic_smile:, Even though I do my best to carry the least amount of clothes possible, I still tend to over pack.Our next cruise for the daughter & myself is a b2b southern Caribbean out of SJ and I am going to look into cutting back the evening attires even more. Right now I have planned for 5 evening slacks and 2 /3 blouses to mix & match. Will see if I can't reduce to 3.

I am really overdue for doing a trip report on that cruise! It was quite an adventure... I will work on that.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:52 PM, molsonschooner said:

I  have been following a discussion on a different site. Someone asked how much luggage they can bring onto the ship. Many people replied that there is no limit. One person kept telling people there is a 90 kilogram maximum. Some one posted from a FAQ section, showing no maximum. The person who insisted that there is a maximum posted from a different FAQ that there is indeed a 90 K limit. 

So, for most people, this doesn't matter. 90 K is about 200 pounds. 

Once again, no consistency with the policies.

It also depends on where you are traveling out of.  Domestic US ports really aren't an issue. Over in Europe it is a completely different story.  Seems they weigh everything except the passenger...for now.  Seriously, they are anal retentive and I believe it has all to do with labor relations/contracts.

Seriously though, I always worry about what people are planning to bring when this question comes up.  The staterooms aren't all that big to begin with.