Cruise Critic Community
Qcruise

One night Osterdam VS hotel post cruise.....?

Oh what to do.....?   My wife and I are "trying out" HAL next April aboard the Kontingsdam just a quick San Diego to Vancouver 4 night as they move the ships into Alaska season.  We have children living in the PNW so our first thought was to book a night or two at a hotel close to Canada Place we could walk to and enjoy the city,  then take the train down to visit the kids.  We have found an overnight sailing jumping on the Osterdam to get to Seattle thus utilizing the ship for our transportation to see the kids as well.  We've never done an overnight and are not sure how it might be.  We hear the crew are not really stoked to do these as it's more work for them.....understood.  Has anyone done one of these and can give us any advise....?   If we just get an interior it kind of makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

Why not do it? You aren't going to notice if the crew is "stoked". They are professionals and do their jobs extremely well. Just enjoy and don't sweat something so minor as whether or not the crew is stoked... 

You're right about the crew etc., but you're using as a good way to get to Seattle, so for $99.00, I would go for it..

If you are starting in San Diego and ending in Seattle you would be in technical violation of the PVSA, and should not be able to take both cruises without a night in Vancouver in between. 
If truth be told, it is quite possible this can be booked, since it is two different ships, but don't be surprised if the HAL computers do pick it up, and won't allow it. 

It's two different ships. Its legal. If it were the same ship, but two different cruises,  it would be illegal.

23 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It's two different ships. Its legal.

It's where the passenger starts and ends, not the ship. It would be a technical violation if there is no break between the two cruises. 

34 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's where the passenger starts and ends, not the ship. It would be a technical violation if there is no break between the two cruises. 

That's not my understanding. If a single ship transports a passenger between two US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port it is illegal. Regardless if the two cruises of that same ship are sold separately. Are you saying if a passenger got off a HAL, and on a Princess ship, to complete this transportation, this would still be illegal?

47 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Not correct.

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That's not my understanding. If a single ship transports a passenger between two US ports without a stop in a distant foreign port it is illegal. Regardless if the two cruises of that same ship are sold separately. Are you saying if a passenger got off a HAL, and on a Princess ship, to complete this transportation, this would still be illegal?

It's where a passenger got on and got off the SAME ship, regardless of how many separate cruises were done to do that. 

You can do a Seattle/Vancouver on one ship, move to a different ship and do a Vancouver/San Diego cruise with no violation of the PVSA.

+1 on the BruShmoo interpretation. The rules apply to passengers being moved by a ship, not a cruiseline, otherwise the V in the PVSA would instead be a C or L (Cruiseline or Line rather than Vessel).

Now, if HAL or anyone else started to deliberately advertise and sell one way cruises from US port to US port 'with a convenient swap of ships in a Canadian port' as a package CBP might get annoyed and alter their interpretation/push for changes to the Act like they did to kill 'cruises to nowhere' and technical stops in foreign ports where passengers were not allowed to disembark... but that would need legislative change due to the wording throughout the PVSA referring to 'vessel' singular.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@martincath....    "BruSchmoo"? That's a good one...🤣

You're both Californian, presenting the same argument, and have very compatible names - though the saved wear & tear on my typing fingers has now been more than undone... 😉

55 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@martincath....    "BruSchmoo"? That's a good one...🤣

At least he got the spelling right (no "c")   1557859378_Shmoobig.thumb.jpg.07b70e0126647f7e44ee761bc5d8476c.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

At least he got the spelling right (no "c")   1557859378_Shmoobig.thumb.jpg.07b70e0126647f7e44ee761bc5d8476c.jpg

Sorry...my last name starts with "Sch" so I had to correct the new merged name!🤗😎

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sorry...my last name starts with "Sch" so I had to correct the new merged name!🤗😎

No problem, it happens all the time.

20 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Not correct.

It's where a passenger got on and got off the SAME ship, regardless of how many separate cruises were done to do that. 

You can do a Seattle/Vancouver on one ship, move to a different ship and do a Vancouver/San Diego cruise with no violation of the PVSA.

Just to be safe, I would talk to HAL about this.  You do not want a "surprise" when you try to board.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:34 AM, RobTheGob said:

On one of our trips a few years ago - we got off the ship in Victoria with all our luggage, went home, did laundry and returned with different clothes (Caribbean mode to Alaska mode), The head of security on the ship said "you can't do that unless you were approved" and I just laughed and replied "watch me". The border agent chuckled about it as well (but we knew the secret handshake!).

Ten days later we disembarked in Victoria - the cruise line had approved it months earlier (being Canadian meant no issues with the border agent).

@RobTheGob may have some insight on this.  I have attached his comment from another thread.

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

@RobTheGob may have some insight on this.  I have attached his comment from another thread.

Although that situation is not the same.

OP is asking if they can take The Kdam cruise SD to Vancouver, then take the Vancouver/Seattle cruise on the Oosterdam.

Not the same as being on a cruise, getting off mid-cruise (well, not really getting off, but taking clothes off and returning with different clothes), and then getting off at the end of the cruise in the same port.

5 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

OP is asking if they can take The Kdam cruise SD to Vancouver, then take the Vancouver/Seattle cruise on the Oosterdam.

Not the same as being on a cruise, getting off mid-cruise (well, not really getting off, but taking clothes off and returning with different clothes), and then getting off at the end of the cruise in the same port.

I believe it was two separate cruises.  But, as mentioned, they *may* have some insight.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.

Edited to add that I am referencing their statement that they had approval from the cruise line.

Edited by *Miss G*

43 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I believe it was two separate cruises.  But, as mentioned, they *may* have some insight.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.

Edited to add that I am referencing their statement that they had approval from the cruise line.

Unless I am missing a lot...there is not enough info in what you quote to see if it is relevant or not.

27 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes - our situation was very different. I think the main difference is that these rules only affect USA ports (this is an America law) and our ports were both in Canada.

I recall a number of passengers being denied embarkation in Los Angeles, because our cruise ship continued on to Alaska and then ultimately ended in Seattle (we disembarked the night before in Victoria). That would have meant their cruise started in LA and ended in Seattle. Those passengers had to fly to and embark from Vancouver (and weren't *very* happy about finding out at the last moment!).

Having said that - I doubt you'd have to stay a night in Vancouver - I'd expect changing ships should satisfy the requirements of this (protectionist!) law.

37 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Unless I am missing a lot...there is not enough info in what you quote to see if it is relevant or not.

That was my point though.  There was not a lot of info but the OP could expand on it in case he had further insight into SOMETHING.  Even if only to state what he did in his response.  And I thank him for expanding on it as I am now more informed than I was before he did.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why I post here.

14 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

Yes - our situation was very different. I think the main difference is that these rules only affect USA ports (this is an America law) and our ports were both in Canada.

I recall a number of passengers being denied embarkation in Los Angeles, because our cruise ship continued on to Alaska and then ultimately ended in Seattle (we disembarked the night before in Victoria). That would have meant their cruise started in LA and ended in Seattle. Those passengers had to fly to and embark from Vancouver (and weren't *very* happy about finding out at the last moment!).

Having said that - I doubt you'd have to stay a night in Vancouver - I'd expect changing ships should satisfy the requirements of this (protectionist!) law.

Exactly why I recommended contacting HAL directly to verify that it can be done the way you want to - and get it in writing!  You do not want an expensive last minute surprise!

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Exactly why I recommended contacting HAL directly to verify that it can be done the way you want to - and get it in writing!  You do not want an expensive last minute surprise!

Agreed!

16 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

I'm pretty sure the US is not the only country with cabotage restrictions, and in fact, am pretty sure Canada does (or at least until recently did).  A couple of examples:

I was on a round trip out of Montreal in 2012.  My understanding (per the CD) was that our call in St. Pierre/Miquelon was REQUIRED to make our voyage legal.

Blount Small Ship Adventures is a US flag company and does not normally need to worry about cabotage.  Several years ago they developed an itinerary from Montreal to Newfoundland (one way).  At the last minute they ended up busing the passengers to Ogdensburg New York to board the ship.  Fortunately, their ships are small enough so they can pass through the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Roy

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm pretty sure the US is not the only country with cabotage restrictions, and in fact, am pretty sure Canada does (or at least until recently did).  A couple of examples:

Roy

Could be - but I think it rarely comes up for Canadian ports, because in most cases the ships can stay within Canadian waters between our own ports. 

The whole thing is kind of crazy...