Does the drink package apply before you set sail out of NYC?

plum24

Searched for the answer to this but could not find it. We have the included drinks package and wondered if we could start using it as soon as we board on embarkation day, or if we had to wait until we're at sea?

Thanks!

The drink package works immediately upon boarding.   While in some US ports you may incur sales tax on the beverages until you are whatever distance away from the taxation authority.   Your drink will arrive with a small slip of paper to sign and you're on your way.

Have fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

And that would be....??????? 

Google search...

www.salestaxstates.com/sales-tax-calculator-new_york

How 2019 Sales taxes are calculated in New York. The state general sales tax rate of New York is 4%. Cities and/or municipalities of New York are allowed to collect their own rate that can get up to 4.75% in city sales tax.

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Google search...

www.salestaxstates.com/sales-tax-calculator-new_york

How 2019 Sales taxes are calculated in New York. The state general sales tax rate of New York is 4%. Cities and/or municipalities of New York are allowed to collect their own rate that can get up to 4.75% in city sales tax.

Very nice of you to provide that info......   I myself would've stopped at "Google search.... " based on the entitled snarky "And that would be.....???????"    crazy how people can't do anything for themselves and expect others to do their bidding...... 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Very nice of you to provide that info......   I myself would've stopped at "Google search.... " based on the entitled snarky "And that would be.....???????"    crazy how people can't do anything for themselves and expect others to do their bidding...... 

I've noticed on various cruises that the amount charged is about 10% from almost every port we've left.  But, I figured it was good to bring myself up-to-date if there had been any changes.  Although, I don't have any cruises from NY booked! 🤔

esm54687, too bad you couldn't just stop without berating me with your post.  Amazing how some people can take the time to be snarky themselves and not help in any way.  What i was trying to get across, and no not in a snarky fashion but just asking for a specific answer,  is that if you do a google search for this or on these boards you get the kind of answer that was given.  So, based on the information given is it just 4% state tax, or is an "up to 4.75%" local tax also added.  You see, the question still hasn't  been answered.  Is it 4% or somewhere up to 8.75%.  With 2.569 posts you've most likely inquired about a topic that a search of these boards would have answered.  Or, do you just wait and use your posts to jump on other posters with personal attacks?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TPgal said:

The drink package works immediately upon boarding.   While in some US ports you may incur sales tax on the beverages until you are whatever distance away from the taxation authority.   Your drink will arrive with a small slip of paper to sign and you're on your way.

Have fun!

Not sure if it’s standard procedure or not, but I wasn’t asked to sign a sales slip on the drinks I ordered while still in NY on last week’s Escape cruise. The sales taxes were still added to my account. 

• Like 1

Just off the Escape out of NYC and I was able to use the drink package as soon as I boarded. Just had to pay the sales tax on the drink's "menu price" until about an hour after we sailed away and reached international waters. Was never given a piece of paper to sign, and used my card to get 2 drinks at a time (1 for me, 1 for s/o) and the cabin charges were $1.20 - $1.55 each time. So figure you'll pay about $0.60 per beer, $0.75 per mixed/frozen drink due to their higher menu price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alatraveler1 said:

esm54687, too bad you couldn't just stop without berating me with your post.  Amazing how some people can take the time to be snarky themselves and not help in any way.  What i was trying to get across, and no not in a snarky fashion but just asking for a specific answer,  is that if you do a google search for this or on these boards you get the kind of answer that was given.  So, based on the information given is it just 4% state tax, or is an "up to 4.75%" local tax also added.  You see, the question still hasn't  been answered.  Is it 4% or somewhere up to 8.75%.  With 2.569 posts you've most likely inquired about a topic that a search of these boards would have answered.  Or, do you just wait and use your posts to jump on other posters with personal attacks?

Probably have, but my questions came after an exhaustive search myself and beginning with a "please" and a "thank you" ....... while providing the information that I found and what I needed clarified...... never an entitled rude "And that would be.....???????"        

Fees must be a lot different in NYC than in Miami.  I was getting hit $3-4 per drink  while in port in MIA last month.

Also....OP raises a very interesting question/point.  My friend was on a Carnival Cruise out of NYC, and they were not able to use the drink package AT ALL while in port in NYC.  New York City has passed an ordinance a few years back to where there are no more "Open Bars", and they had to wait til the next morning to get anything without paying.  Also, Carnival has a 15 drink per day cap on their package....I would've blown through that by lunch!  Surprised that NCL was is able to get around the "Open Bar" policy while in port....

13 hours ago, plum24 said:

Searched for the answer to this but could not find it. We have the included drinks package and wondered if we could start using it as soon as we board on embarkation day, or if we had to wait until we're at sea?

Thanks!

Sure does: we board the ship, head to O'sheehan's and order our first drink and our first snack of the cruise while I love the people watching. The only charge will be taxes which are required while in an American port 

24 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Fees must be a lot different in NYC than in Miami.  I was getting hit $3-4 per drink  while in port in MIA last month.

Also....OP raises a very interesting question/point.  My friend was on a Carnival Cruise out of NYC, and they were not able to use the drink package AT ALL while in port in NYC.  New York City has passed an ordinance a few years back to where there are no more "Open Bars", and they had to wait til the next morning to get anything without paying.  Also, Carnival has a 15 drink per day cap on their package....I would've blown through that by lunch!  Surprised that NCL was is able to get around the "Open Bar" policy while in port....

It is not NYC's "open bar" policy that affects Carnival's drink package (especially since there is a limit on drinks, it isn't an "open bar"), as this same thing happens in Texas as well.  Carnival just doesn't want to have to switch their POS registers from charging tax to not charging tax when the ship leaves the 3-9 mile limit of state jurisdiction.  NCL has the bridge notify the Purser's office when the vessel clears state jurisdiction, and the Purser reprograms all the POS stations.  RCI deals with this by just not "posting" the drink sales until the ship is outside the state jurisdiction.

1 hour ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Wow $3-$4 per drink. Things must have really changed. Last time out of Miami on NCL we paid about $8 total until we left port. We board early and start vacation I.e. Drinking right away.

Very easy to drink 4-5 (per person) before we sail. Heck 4 years ago

we had a 7 pm sail time , boarded at 11:30 am. And my total tax was about 14.00.

miami is about 8 % , that would mean you were drinking 40.00 rounds. Sounds crazy.

Edited by beerman2

1 hour ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

That just doesn't sound right.   I think if you were paying 4 bucks a drink in taxes in MIA your were getting ripped off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xfkzjg1 said:

Not sure if it’s standard procedure or not, but I wasn’t asked to sign a sales slip on the drinks I ordered while still in NY on last week’s Escape cruise. The sales taxes were still added to my account. 

Well, then I say, nicely done NCL.  The paper process seemed silly and time consuming for the staff.

We have overnighted twice now in NYC on MSC.

Both times the bars were open while we were, but not for 'hard alcohol' drinks. Wine and beer only.

In the Yacht Club Virgin drinks seemed popular, as many of us had stockpiled a few mini-fridge bottles ahead of time.

gary