Auckland still a tender port for Ovation of the Seas!!

In the last few days New Zealand has had the New Zealand Cruise Association Conference and one of the things that was brought up was that Auckland is still a tender port for Ovation of the Seas!!

Here is the news article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/ovation-of-the-seas-still-tendering-in-auckland-is-astounding/

I don't know what else to say here...., apart from I am disappointed with Auckland....., Even a little bit embarrass to be a Aucklander.... 😐

Especially now the Queens Wharf mooring structures are back on hold 😥

So It going to be at lest the 2021/2022 cruise season (if everything goes well!) before Ovation of the Seas and maybe Queen Mary 2 can dock again in Auckland!!

I guess I will be still be explaining for another few years to Ovation of the Seas passengers that you will be tendering in to Auckland while the rest of the RCI fleet can dock! 😥

Side note: Auckland would be a tender port for Queen Mary 2, but as Cunard does not want to tender in Auckland they are not visiting Auckland and / or New Zealand.

I know what you mean!!! 😫

Council plonkers are bonkers, yes, English heritage there.

Seriously, Tauranga can take 3 ships at a time, Picton, for crying out loud can take the big vessels.

For some scale, there is 1 set of traffic lights in Picton!  It is a lovely wee town.

Sooo embarrassing to be an Aucklander, easier admitting to my Aussieeness 😋

TraceyG😀

23 hours ago, dandtgeddes said:

I know what you mean!!! 😫

Council plonkers are bonkers, yes, English heritage there.

Seriously, Tauranga can take 3 ships at a time, Picton, for crying out loud can take the big vessels.

For some scale, there is 1 set of traffic lights in Picton!  It is a lovely wee town.

Sooo embarrassing to be an Aucklander, easier admitting to my Aussieeness 😋

TraceyG😀

In fairness, Picton is a commercial port normally reserved for the lumber industry. But I agree, something needs to be done. Sydney is almost as bad.

Until they can dock in Auckland , I can’t really see much point in calling . By the time all passengers are ashore its time to get back on again .

They can’t be that keen anyway as I don’t see them reaching into their pockets to help pay for a facility that only they will use .

• 4 weeks later...

I was there earlier this year on Ovation and thought it was strange as well. If I remember correctly, Ovation is too long to fit along side the dock as it currently is. They effectively pull in as close as they can get out the way of the main part of the shipping channel and drop anchor. The tender ride is quite literally 3 or 4 minutes to the dock.

Pain in the ass? Yes. Would it stop me going back to Auckland on Ovation? No.

No need to be embrassed, it will be a long time before Sydney gets its act today to improve cruise facilities on the right side of the bridge.

It seems that in major cities in our region it is in the too hard basket to find a spot for the big cruise ships to dock as nobody wants them in their backyard.

Too much noise and too much traffic and the voters living in the area could lose their views for the day.

3 hours ago, sewgood said:

No need to be embrassed, it will be a long time before Sydney gets its act today to improve cruise facilities on the right side of the bridge.

It seems that in major cities in our region it is in the too hard basket to find a spot for the big cruise ships to dock as nobody wants them in their backyard.

Too much noise and too much traffic and the voters living in the area could lose their views for the day.

Not really the case in Auckland as they are looking to extend some mooring "dolphins" out from the existing space.

Now Sydney is embarrassing when you consider the timeframe for doing anything is 4+ years.  All while they install light rail at heavy prices.

15 hours ago, banzaii said:

Not really the case in Auckland as they are looking to extend some mooring "dolphins" out from the existing space.

Now Sydney is embarrassing when you consider the timeframe for doing anything is 4+ years.  All while they install light rail at heavy prices.

Auckland may well decide to postpone any further development.  WHY?

its on the cards that the Port of Auckland will eventually move to Marsden Point. A new mega dry dock is planned there and the Navy and freight business will follow, leaving Auckland only for cruise ships . As the channel needs constant dredging it may not be feasible for cruise traffic on its own. 

However the powers that be have to make a decision and we all know how long that will take.!!!!!!