A Few Questions About Allure Embarkation

In the past I’ve had to leave my luggage at the dock with sometimes sketchy porters that insinuate that if we don’t tip we might never see our bags again. A few times I’ve been able to walk my full size luggage on board myself.  They have wheels so it’s not a big deal.  Will I have this option boarding Allure ?  I prefer to take my luggage in myself. We will only have two full size bags on wheels. 

Thanks!

I have never considered any porter at a pier to be "sketchy".

And it is rare to encounter someone who pushes for tips.  It happens, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I think that you are worrying about something that has about a .000001% chance of happening.

11 hours ago, lidolovers said:

In the past I’ve had to leave my luggage at the dock with sometimes sketchy porters that insinuate that if we don’t tip we might never see our bags again. A few times I’ve been able to walk my full size luggage on board myself.  They have wheels so it’s not a big deal.  Will I have this option boarding Allure ?  I prefer to take my luggage in myself. We will only have two full size bags on wheels. 

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, why would you not want to give them a few dollars for providing a service?  Not that you have to but I was just curious about the reason.

I have never experienced threats of not seeing my bags again if I didn’t tip.  I guess if it did happen it would make me a bit leery too.  But I too believe that you are worrying about something that has a very small chance of occurring.  I would leave my bags with the porters and enjoy my trip.  Safe travels!

13 hours ago, lidolovers said:

Thanks!

Probably their "insinuated" means came across wrong to you.  Just give them $1 per piece of luggage to put your mind at ease. 

Edited by Mr. Candyman
38 minutes ago, Esprit said:

These tipping threads are so enlightening. Thank you.

Is it the norm' to give a dollar for every pound the luggage exceeds the Health & Safety recommended limit for lifting?

I'm not aware of any "norm" for tipping porters, just give whatever you like.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Gotta be careful with absolutes (not all ports use same size units) and subjective descriptions like "large".

True! They will fit at Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, and Vancouver!

*I'll let you know about Miami in December...

Edited by CruiszBug

Well we are leaving from Fort Lauderdale on the Allure.  So if we can bring full size suitcases on with us by hand that would be awesome.  I wonder if there are dimensions listed somewhere online or if it’s just one of those hush hush things that you can do it but they don’t want you doing it. 

I just found this deep in RCIs website. It sounds like they are fine to let us carry on any luggage.  Lower down it then says they are typical the small machines. Heh. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-luggage-policy

Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Each guest has the option to carry their luggage on board or check-in luggage prior to boarding. Luggage may include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. Here are some recommendations for packing only cruise essentials.”

Edited by lidolovers

I would also be curious what you guys tip the porters at the dock.  On our first cruise we didn't know to tip, and the porter told us that if we didn't tip we might not see our bags again and that scared us and we paid him.  We always tip a few bucks each bag now.

Over 100 cruises and always tipped porters and always received luggage.....only time I know of anyone NOT receiving cruise luggage was years ago in Barcelona. As the porters were loading a huge cart full of luggage, the entire cart, luggage and all fell into the water! Dock workers quickly”fished out” all they could, but we spoke to several cruisers who never got their luggage, others who got theirs all full of salt water! Royal Caribbean cleaned the clothes, but other items were ruined.

I personally would rather tip porters and not fool with lugging luggage, but to each their own.