If you were carnival what would you cut?

geckoaz

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Happy Cruising!   

Same to you. 

I hope to one day have enough cruises under my wing to be able to provide the same write-up that you just did.  I only have 4 cruises under my belt, and all have been on Carnival.  I've enjoyed this line very much so far... but then again, I have only sailed on smaller ships of about 2000 pax.  It seems the Pax are less happy on the larger ships, so perhaps that's key... only sail the ships that carry 3000 pax or less.

Carnival currently has 26 ships, and I've sailed 3 of them.  Looking forward to trying out more of them.  

25 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Same to you. 

I hope to one day have enough cruises under my wing to be able to provide the same write-up that you just did.  I only have 4 cruises under my belt, and all have been on Carnival.  I've enjoyed this line very much so far... but then again, I have only sailed on smaller ships of about 2000 pax.  It seems the Pax are less happy on the larger ships, so perhaps that's key... only sail the ships that carry 3000 pax or less.

Carnival currently has 26 ships, and I've sailed 3 of them.  Looking forward to trying out more of them.  

Hey someday you may choose to expand your horizons ... but for now you have found a product you enjoy and it is a great value.  I'm with you on the smaller Carnival ships.  The Spirit Class are by far my favorite Carnival ships.  I've sailed all four.  Great layout, awesome deck space and pools, and much less crowded.  I wish Carnival had more of them.  

I'm a little concerned about how many people the Mardi Gras will carry, but hopefully the layout and amenities will compensate for the amount of people.  We shall see.  This ship is the evolution of Carnival so I think it's important they get it right.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

No... but math does have a way of clearing up all the... well, you know.  I have a minor in math and another minor in stats, along with my undergraduate degree.

Indeed it does.  You can't argue with math and you can't argue with economics, although some people try.  It's mind-boggling.

Reading through the responses i realized there is a difference between "cuts" and "phase out." A phase out would be something now dated that needs to be replaced. There is a site that has all the things phased out at the disney theme parks. The cruise experience should be the same. Not everything phased out is for a finAncial reason (other than it doesn't work as well). I have always thought the shops on the ship are out dated. You have thousands of folks on a ship and empty shops. I seldom even go in the shops. But i did go for ice cream in the shop on the vista. That was a good change.

• Like 2

There are a ton of young managers looking to make a name for themselves in Miami who propose more an more cuts  they are working towards a Promotion, bonus, salary increase!  Look at the polls John H constantly ask. Most are designed to see if their customer base will object to specific cuts.  DO NOT GIVE THEM MANY MORE IDEAS!!!

You will notice, there are few, very few, enhancements that benefit the customers

• Like 1

I agree with geckoaz.  Get rid of the shops.  Who really buys jewelry or stuff like that on a cruise ship when there are ports to shop at?  I'd rather they use that space for more bars, entertainment, or even for-pay activities, like painting workshops, sushi making class, wine tasting or more arcade games.  

I also don't see the allure of the art auction, but I guess some people like it.

If they got rid of the MDR and went to buffet only and specialty restaurants, I would be looking at a different cruise line.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEXASMUNK said:

There are a ton of young managers looking to make a name for themselves in Miami who propose more an more cuts  they are working towards a Promotion, bonus, salary increase!  Look at the polls John H constantly ask. Most are designed to see if their customer base will object to specific cuts.  DO NOT GIVE THEM MANY MORE IDEAS!!!

You will notice, there are few, very few, enhancements that benefit the customers

me thinks you read in way, way too much into John's questions.  He has to fill space...every day.  Conspiracy theory stuff.

35 minutes ago, bnbeyer said:

I agree with geckoaz.  Get rid of the shops.  Who really buys jewelry or stuff like that on a cruise ship when there are ports to shop at?  I'd rather they use that space for more bars, entertainment, or even for-pay activities, like painting workshops, sushi making class, wine tasting or more arcade games.  

I also don't see the allure of the art auction, but I guess some people like it.

If they got rid of the MDR and went to buffet only and specialty restaurants, I would be looking at a different cruise line.  

While we do not, have you seen the crowds at the shops?  Those are the people buying, cruise after cruise, after cruise.  IF no-one bought, they would have been gone long ago, on newer ships  they are adding more.  despite what a few have said, the MDR is going no where.  period.  Royal tried it and it flopped like a dead fish.  Even NCL, the nickel and dime king still has a MDR.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Food has already been cut....table clothes removed, and they cut out the table service staff, and made serving yourself bread in water common.  I say the biggest cut could be just getting rid of the MDR, and making it into a giant buffet.  Less staff, self serve and everyone can wear what they want, and go when they want.  Big win for Carnival, and they can sell the naming rights of the new improved dining room to buffet chain.

While not a full buffet, RCCL does have a buffet in their MDR during breakfast and lunch in addition to the table service.  I found it odd and depending on your table location can distract from the table service experience.

12 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Indeed it does.  You can't argue with math and you can't argue with economics, although some people try.  It's mind-boggling.

My dad often said though that while "figures don't lie, liars will figure."  Math, while accurate, can often be skewed to state what someone wants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Royal tried it and it flopped like a dead fish.   

Royal never went to a buffet only option which is what the OP mentioned.  They went to a multiple dining concept called Dynamic Dining.  It was formal sit down dining with waiter service, but with four different MDR options.  I actually enjoyed it but yes it did flop.  Probably before its time.  Disney does quite well with rotational dining, but it's a slightly different concept.    

11 hours ago, TEXASMUNK said:

DO NOT GIVE THEM MANY MORE IDEAS!!!

I would absolutely agree with this.  They have paid professionals constantly looking for ways to cut costs without impacting the guest experience to an extremity where it's a deal breaker.  The thought of Carnival's own customers giving them ideas to cut costs is rather absurd.    

43 minutes ago, eroller said:

I would absolutely agree with this.  They have paid professionals constantly looking for ways to cut costs without impacting the guest experience to an extremity where it's a deal breaker.  The thought of Carnival's own customers giving them ideas to cut costs is rather absurd.    

They can cut costs by eliminating those positions if their guests keep providing them details like this at no expense to the company. Carnival is no stranger to eliminating positions.

12 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

They can cut costs by eliminating those positions if their guests keep providing them details like this at no expense to the company. Carnival is no stranger to eliminating positions.

Good luck with that one.  I’m sure it will happen.  

17 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

If anything, I would like to see more stuff available in the shops. I wouldn't mind if they had let's say more clothes, carribean-type specialties like hot sauces, snacks (etc). Maybe an expanded "grocery" isle where you can get people to spend more money on food while not taking away any options. Imagine being able to grab a 6 pack of Carnival's house-brewed canned beer to keep in your room, without any tips or delivery fees.

While maybe there's even better answers, people love to shop, and the current options are underwhelming. Not that I'm looking to shop my whole trip. I agree, I could care less about jewelry or art auctions. If any of this diverts anymore people away from other sections of the ships, sounds good to me. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have more cool stuff available.

I don't think they really need anymore bars. It probably couldn't hurt to redesign any, but there is no lack of sheer number.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If anything, I would like to see more stuff available in the shops.

When my son was on the Magic a month ago we tried to find a model of the ship.  We were shocked that we couldn't find a ships model.  The only thing we found was a blow up toy.  He specifically wanted one shaped like the Magic.  The only things we can find online are real expensive models similar to what you would put somewhere on the ship as a display.  He was looking more for either a Lego version, a toy, or something like he got on the USS New Jersey, a small metal version of the ship.

• Like 2

Things that I would cut:

1-Not sure why Shaquille O'Neil is the spokesperson.  That must cost a fortune.  Does anyone pick Carnival over another line because Shaq is on the commercials.  "hmmmm...should we take NCL or CCL?  I will take CCL because maybe Shaq may me sailing?"  ah...NO!

2-Playlist Productions.  I preferred the old style shows.  Flick has been on my last 3 cruises and I didn't enjoy it the first time.   

3-Towel animals daily.  Perhaps make it guests choice or only on a few select nights.  This creates so much more laundry and time for the cabin stewards as they already have too many rooms to clean.  Towel animals are overdone.  Yes, they were super cute years ago but aren't we tired of them?  

4-The surcharge if you lose a towel and free blankets for movies (no deposit).  for this reason, we NEVER take those towels out of the room.  I am so worried that we may lose one or someone swipes ours because they have lost theirs.  Yes, guests occasionally will steal a towel off the ship but they probably already steal white ones from their hanging monkey towel animal.  On HAL to Alaska, there were blankets all over the open decks to just use.    

5-Most spa services as it is just high pressure sales - why can't it be just a nice basic spa to get a simple massage or pedicure without it being overprice.  Do we need teeth whitening on a ship???  Go see your dentist!  

6-Art auctions (which they are already on the new ships)

7-Lip Sync battle - this is OLD and not entertaining

Things I would add:

1-More than one person at the deli

2-More than one barista at the coffee shop in the morning

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

If anything, I would like to see more stuff available in the shops. I wouldn't mind if they had let's say more clothes, carribean-type specialties like hot sauces, snacks (etc). Maybe an expanded "grocery" isle where you can get people to spend more money on food while not taking away any options. Imagine being able to grab a 6 pack of Carnival's house-brewed canned beer to keep in your room, without any tips or delivery fees.

While maybe there's even better answers, people love to shop, and the current options are underwhelming. Not that I'm looking to shop my whole trip. I agree, I could care less about jewelry or art auctions. If any of this diverts anymore people away from other sections of the ships, sounds good to me. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have more cool stuff available.

I don't think they really need anymore bars. It probably couldn't hurt to redesign any, but there is no lack of sheer number.

Joebucks - I agree with you 100% I do love to shop. But I don't want to shop for the kind of stuff they typically have on a ship. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bnbeyer said:

I agree with geckoaz.  Get rid of the shops.  Who really buys jewelry or stuff like that on a cruise ship when there are ports to shop at? 

Whaaaaa?  Have you been on a cruise?  They stay packed.

Edited by ray98

2 hours ago, cdm289 said:

Things that I would cut:

1-Not sure why Shaquille O'Neil is the spokesperson.  That must cost a fortune.  Does anyone pick Carnival over another line because Shaq is on the commercials.  "hmmmm...should we take NCL or CCL?  I will take CCL because maybe Shaq may me sailing?"  ah...NO!

2-Playlist Productions.  I preferred the old style shows.  Flick has been on my last 3 cruises and I didn't enjoy it the first time.   

3-Towel animals daily.  Perhaps make it guests choice or only on a few select nights.  This creates so much more laundry and time for the cabin stewards as they already have too many rooms to clean.  Towel animals are overdone.  Yes, they were super cute years ago but aren't we tired of them?  

4-The surcharge if you lose a towel and free blankets for movies (no deposit).  for this reason, we NEVER take those towels out of the room.  I am so worried that we may lose one or someone swipes ours because they have lost theirs.  Yes, guests occasionally will steal a towel off the ship but they probably already steal white ones from their hanging monkey towel animal.  On HAL to Alaska, there were blankets all over the open decks to just use.    

5-Most spa services as it is just high pressure sales - why can't it be just a nice basic spa to get a simple massage or pedicure without it being overprice.  Do we need teeth whitening on a ship???  Go see your dentist!  

6-Art auctions (which they are already on the new ships)

7-Lip Sync battle - this is OLD and not entertaining

Things I would add:

1-More than one person at the deli

2-More than one barista at the coffee shop in the morning

2 Playlist Productions-  were a cutback of the original shows. I don’t foresee them going back. With Playlist Productions, it added in piped in music in exchange of sacrificing a live show band and also featured a smaller amount of people performing. I believe it also included the additional use of screens and digital effects instead of actual backgrounds and some props. I’m sure someone will correct me if that last part is wrong.

3 Towel animals-  Some cruise lines are in the process of making these on a fewer amount of days. Expect this to come to Carnival eventually.

4 Blankets and towels- Why would Carnival eliminate the surcharge? It is such a money maker for the, which makes me believe you don’t know what a cutback is. This costs them nothing more than the cost of the towel and makes them $22-25 or whatever it is now. Many guests on Carnival are drunk and leave them behind during their excursions. Royal Caribbean has the same surcharge system. Like HAL, Princess doesn’t have this surcharge but they also cater towards a different clientele.

5 Spa- again, these high pressure sales to sell merchandise is what keeps the spa making money. These high pressure sales aren’t coming from Carnival though as they are coming from the company running the spa, Steiner.

6 Art auctions- again it’s a money maker. So much so, they don’t mind the low cost of cheap champagne.

With the two things you would add, labor is the most expensive expense from any corporation. If it’s currently working sufficiently and well enough with just one person, don’t expect that to change.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:34 AM, geoffrywillhardt said:

I would change the Anytime dining option to the family style low frills, but still waited on option that moves quicker and possibly have advanced ordering or a more simplified menu. I would keep the set dining early and late options as they are for those that enjoy that. I'm fairly new to cruising so I don't know what options they have changed/removed over the years with the exception of starting to charge for room service and all the plastic changes that have been taking place recently. I can understand people wanting a more premium experience but I do feel that Carnival has great value for the money.

The problem with this suggestion is, I prefer Anytime dining for the flexibility to be able to look at activities on a daily basis and choose a time to dine that allows me to see all the shows I want to see,  but I also still want the full MDR experience.  If you want family style, the Lido deck is a good option for you.  The food is already prepared, no waiting - serve yourself and get out in 15 minutes.  Perhaps the compromise would be to have MDR menu choices available on the Lido deck every night : ))

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:29 AM, Organized Chaos said:

That convenience store has what, one or two fountains? We're talking about a cruise ship with multiple bars that would require multiple fountain systems. If they were to house these systems behind the bars themselves, they'd definitely use up a lot more space behind the bar because the bulk of the cans are stored elsewhere and brought to the bars as needed.

As far as waste, the fountain syrups are plastic jugs/bags contained in boxes, or at least that's the ones I'm used to seeing. There's a lot of waste product there when they've been used up. Empty cans are going to be crushed (I'd assume just to save space, maybe not) and recycled later. Maybe it's a wash as far as the amount of waste goes between the two methods, but I think the can would be easier to deal with. I disagree that the only difference is that one's on the water. The logistics of operating on a ship is a whole different beast.

When we did the Behind the Scenes Tour, this is what we were told regarding fountain systems.  Take up too much space and cost prohibitive. 

Cans are crushed, formed into large blocks and removed from the ship for recycling.  There's a whole area dedicated for recycling off the galley.