If you were carnival what would you cut?

geckoaz

14 hours ago, eroller said:

Royal never went to a buffet only option which is what the OP mentioned.  They went to a multiple dining concept called Dynamic Dining.  It was formal sit down dining with waiter service, but with four different MDR options.  I actually enjoyed it but yes it did flop.  Probably before its time.  Disney does quite well with rotational dining, but it's a slightly different concept.    

Someone asked John Heald to put forward a poll about this.  Why, when it "flopped"?  I'm sure Carnival Corp. has a finger on what other lines are doing and what flies and what doesn't.

2 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Someone asked John Heald to put forward a poll about this.  Why, when it "flopped"?  I'm sure Carnival Corp. has a finger on what other lines are doing and what flies and what doesn't.

I agree. I’m sure they all watch each other quite closely.  Interestingly Carnival Corp does have a brand where only buffet dining is included in the price.  AIDA. They have waiter service restaurants but they are all additional.  

22 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

My dad often said though that while "figures don't lie, liars will figure."  Math, while accurate, can often be skewed to state what someone wants.

aka cooking the book. Everyone knows accounting is an art and not a science.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, I Luv Crusin said:

Seems based on the poll in his FB post everyone agrees that dumbnamic dining was a flop also.  Wonder what they will ask John next?

35 minutes ago, coevan said:

Free Stlye dining on NCL seems to work pretty well. We like to be served, would never go to a buffet only cruise

Having never sailed on an NCL ship (I have done a couple freebies), I cannot comment on how well it works.  What is clear is they implemented it as a revenue generation tool, and they are excellent at for pay opportunities.  Sadly, every other cruise line followed the money trail.  

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Free Stlye dining on NCL seems to work pretty well. We like to be served, would never go to a buffet only cruise

It can be hit or miss with much depending on timing.  Longer waits during peak times.  I've had really good dining experiences on NCL and some not so good.  The same can be said of Carnival and pretty much every other line.  There are so many dynamics in play it's very difficult to maintain a consistent experience across a fleet of ships.    

Pretty much every cruise line these days has some form of Freestyle dining.  Some do it better than others.  

• Like 3

And of course someone named Jan sent a post to John Heald saying CC was wanting the MDR turned into a buffet and asking for a poll to show that is what everyone was wanting. As of now the poll is 99% to 1% in favor of not wanting a buffet in the MDR. That would be a terrible thing IMO to have a buffet in the MDR..

25 minutes ago, canes20 said:

And of course someone named Jan sent a post to John Heald saying CC was wanting the MDR turned into a buffet and asking for a poll to show that is what everyone was wanting. As of now the poll is 99% to 1% in favor of not wanting a buffet in the MDR. That would be a terrible thing IMO to have a buffet in the MDR..

Even before the note to John, it was not happening on Carnival ships.  Despite that some think that anything that shows up on his FB account is trolling for ideas for them to make a decision to implement.

32 minutes ago, eroller said:

It can be hit or miss with much depending on timing.  Longer waits during peak times.  I've had really good dining experiences on NCL and some not so good.  The same can be said of Carnival and pretty much every other line.  There are so many dynamics in play it's very difficult to maintain a consistent experience across a fleet of ships.    

Pretty much every cruise line these days has some form of Freestyle dining.  Some do it better than others.  

Does Cunard do it?

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Even before the note to John, it was not happening on Carnival ships.  Despite that some think that anything that shows up on his FB account is trolling for ideas for them to make a decision to implement.

He did say "Why would we do this?" but put the poll up as requested.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Having never sailed on an NCL ship (I have done a couple freebies), I cannot comment on how well it works.  What is clear is they implemented it as a revenue generation tool, and they are excellent at for pay opportunities.  Sadly, every other cruise line followed the money trail.  

Jimbo there is free freestyle dining in the MDR as well. We did think the pay venues, averaging $15 were pretty darn good. 

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Does Cunard do it?

Not yet but I think it’s coming, perhaps when the new ship makes her debut.  I could see them following HAL, making one level of the dining room freestyle or whatever name they come up with.  All the post cruise surveys ask your thoughts on an open seating dining concept.  It’s not something I personally want, as it’s an attribute that distinguishes Cunard.  They are all about tradition, formality, and structure.  The exact opposite of what every other line strives to be.  Cunard is the last hold out and I hope they don’t give in, but with another ship on the way they have to increase market share and appeal to a broader market.  We shall see.  

Disney also has maintained a structured MDR experience.  They don’t offer freestyle in the MDR.  You rotate between 3 dining rooms during your cruise, always at the same time and table number, and your wait staff rotates with you.  

I should add both lines offer casual open dining in the buffet if you choose, but I’m talking about the MDR’s.  

Edited by eroller
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, jimbo5544 said:

They are implementing facial recognition across the fleet, albeit slowly.  

Eliminating the current program for MDR dining would be a horrendous mistake IMO. For since the advent of transatlantic/transpacific travel, diners have always enjoyed dining in relatively luxury, with china crystal, and silverware. Yes, times have changed, as we no longer eat with sterling silver dinnerware, or drink from fine porcelain coffee cups.... the TRADITION is still with us. The tradition from years gone by. And I pray we never lose that TRADITION. It is a sailing heritage that is ingrained in us...to remember the splendor of how humanity sailed 100, or 200 years ago. Can't you all see the obvious? That what we see now is merely an extension of that TRADITION? That's part of the fun you all. If you can't see it, I suggest that you take an airplane ride around the world, instead of trying to taint an adventure that not many on this planet can take advantage of. QED

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

It seems odd that Carnival finds fountain systems cost prohibitive while other lines (including Princess, part of the CCL group) have them.

I agree. While I'm sure Carnival has data we don't, I can't think of too many large businesses that sell soda in cans.

I know I would also be way more willing to purchase a soda if it came from a freestyle machine vs a crowded bar. Cherry vanilla coke mmm

• Like 2

Princess did sell certain soft drinks in cans.  We had the non-alcoholic drink package and all fountain drinks were included but not canned drinks (most diet drinks were in cans 😞 ). 

For as many complaints as I see on Carnival forums about the lack of fountain drinks, it seemed just as many Princess forum posts preferred canned drinks.  I guess the whole "grass is greener" philosophy applies.

14 hours ago, coevan said:

Jimbo there is free freestyle dining in the MDR as well. We did think the pay venues, averaging $15 were pretty darn good. 

It looks like you haven't been on NCL in quite awhile. Most of their pay restaurants are a la carte pricing now with a few in the $39 pp range.

$15 average is long gone but the food is still pretty darn good.

15 hours ago, coevan said:

Have been on several NCL cruises and find their food in general on all the ships we have been on to be the most mediocre of all the main lines we have cruised (CCL, RCI, Princess etc).  It really feels like 'nickel and diming' to the max on NCL more than the other lines.  However, their itineraries are sometimes very good, which is why we are sailing NCL again in about 6 weeks....for 14 days....will let you know how we feel upon our return (and most of their pay venues are quite a bit more than $15 - Like $25 to $39).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Have been on several NCL cruises and find their food in general on all the ships we have been on to be the most mediocre of all the main lines we have cruised (CCL, RCI, Princess etc).  It really feels like 'nickel and diming' to the max on NCL more than the other lines.  However, their itineraries are sometimes very good, which is why we are sailing NCL again in about 6 weeks....for 14 days....will let you know how we feel upon our return (and most of their pay venues are quite a bit more than $15 - Like $25 to $39).

I think you did a pretty good job of summing it up.