Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scotto97

Alternative to Vines on the Coral?

As the Coral Princess does not have a Vines wine venue, is there a bar within the main atrium that tries to satisfy that niche with an expanded wine list available by the glass?

It's really one of our favorite venues and will be missed on an upcoming cruise.

34 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

As the Coral Princess does not have a Vines wine venue, is there a bar within the main atrium that tries to satisfy that niche with an expanded wine list available by the glass?

It's really one of our favorite venues and will be missed on an upcoming cruise.

I didn't even realize that Vines isn't on this ship.  Will be following for other's comments.  

Crooners is the only other venue in the atrium.

Whether it lives up to a Vines? I don't think so.

Not sure if they have expanded on the time issue because of that fact.

Not in the atrium but my husband and I enjoyed going to the bar at the Bayou Cafe for a glass of wine before dinner.  Doesn't have the wine list like Vines but a nice spot for a glass of wine.  They sometimes have a musician playing/singing for the bar and restaurant guests.  Never too loud, just some nice predinner or dinner time music.  Never crowded.

31 minutes ago, lljost said:

Not in the atrium but my husband and I enjoyed going to the bar at the Bayou Cafe for a glass of wine before dinner.  Doesn't have the wine list like Vines but a nice spot for a glass of wine.  They sometimes have a musician playing/singing for the bar and restaurant guests.  Never too loud, just some nice predinner or dinner time music.  Never crowded.

I couldn't agree more, the small bar at Bayou is a nice little spot albeit without the special wine list from Vines.  If they have music it's typically a bit of jazz in keeping with the Bayou theme which is very nice too.  And finally I'll agree that it's rarely crowded though on longer cruises eventually folks do discover it.

Coral Princess' Crooners is an excellent Lounge.  Well located for whatever is taking place in the Atrium, a staff that were the best that I encountered on the ship, and would accommodate to the best of their ability whatever one wanted to imbibe.  

Vines on Royal Princess was also a nice Lounge, but the venue and the staff seemed a bit "pretentious" to me.  The venue even had its own Wine Steward.  

Edited by rkacruiser

When we were on the Coral we went to La Patisserie. They did have a few wines but not as many as Vines. It was nice having a choice between wine and mixed drinks. Like you we loved going to Vines and thought we’d miss it, but really liked this place. This bar is on deck 5 in the atrium. 

10 hours ago, Wavelet said:

When we were on the Coral we went to La Patisserie. They did have a few wines but not as many as Vines. It was nice having a choice between wine and mixed drinks.

The name "La Patisserie" of this lounge confused me when I boarded Coral Princess.  It's a "bar-type" lounge and not a true patisserie which I did not expect.  Their International Cafe is closer to a true patisserie than "La Patisserie".  

La Patisserie dates back to the launch of Coral, many years before the invention of International Cafe.  Back in those early days this was the place you could get a cup of brewed coffee (across the bar) and a couple of sweet nibbles all day long.  The name has lived on, long after it's original purpose, lol.

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The name "La Patisserie" of this lounge confused me when I boarded Coral Princess.  It's a "bar-type" lounge and not a true patisserie which I did not expect.  Their International Cafe is closer to a true patisserie than "La Patisserie".  

Yes, we thought that too when looking at the deck plans prior to our January cruise. I thought it was going to be an additional IC. We were pleasantly surprised to find this bar. We usually have dinner on deck 5 and found Vines to be convenient. This bar fit the bill when we were on the Coral. Princess should probably change the name to reflect a bar-type venue.

1 hour ago, Wavelet said:

We usually have dinner on deck 5 and found Vines to be convenient. This bar fit the bill when we were on the Coral. Princess should probably change the name to reflect a bar-type venue

Personally, I found Crooner's to be my favorite pre-dinner watering hole on Coral Princess.  I enjoyed the music adjacent to the lounge as well as the bartenders and stewards.  Importantly, as well, there were a few "regulars" who attended the Lounge when I did and I enjoyed their company.