NZ Measles outbreak

CDC recommends that travelers to New Zealand (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/new-zealand) protect themselves by making sure they are vaccinated against measles with the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine.  Before departure from the United States, infants (6 through 11 months of age) should have 1 dose of MMR vaccine, and adults and children over 1 year of age should have 2 doses of MMR vaccine separated by at least 28 days.

excerpt from email this morning from US Consulate in NZ.  

I think it is time these anti-vaccination groups on social media are categorised the same as these extremist terrorist groups or extreme political movements. This is not free speech. It is a targeted attack on established scientific fact. Thanks to social media now these loonie extremists have a platform to present their warped and twisted views and other gullible people believe them and as a result vaccination rates drop and diseases and illnesses on the brink of eradication find their way back. In my opinion all anti-vaccination movements should be banned from all forms of communication with the public and other people. There is no scientific, logic or any sensible fact to it.

The Royal Australian Navy saw to it that I was vaccinated against almost anything and everything that my childhood vaccinations did not give me. I am safely vaccinated. I feel comfortable when I travel by sea and air that I am not going to pick up anything nasty.

Apparently more people are dying per year of measles than from terrorist attacks yet this "elephant in the room" does not attract and attention from lawmakers to outlaw these anti-vaccination movements.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:23 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I think USA has a serious measles outbreak last year.

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a headline that the measles outbreak in the NYC area, in the county I grew up in, was declared over. I think it was about 200 people, in a couple of areas/schools and they closed some schools and wouldn't let unvaccinated kids attend others.

Hard to believe that in 2019 we are dealing with diseases we know how to prevent. smh

BTW,

(4) Collingwood beat (1) Geelong.

(3) Tigers beat (2) Brisbane.

(6) Western Sydney Giants beat the (7) Bulldogs.

(5) West Coast eagles beat (8) Essendon.

Collingwood and tigers get a weeks off as they progress straight into the semi finals.

Essendon and Bulldogs are finished for the season.

Giants play Brisbane and West Coast play Geelong next week to see who gets into the semi finals against the Tigers and Collingwood.

15 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I think it is time these anti-vaccination groups on social media are categorised the same as these extremist terrorist groups or extreme political movements. This is not free speech. It is a targeted attack on established scientific fact. Thanks to social media now these loonie extremists have a platform to present their warped and twisted views and other gullible people believe them and as a result vaccination rates drop and diseases and illnesses on the brink of eradication find their way back. In my opinion all anti-vaccination movements should be banned from all forms of communication with the public and other people. There is no scientific, logic or any sensible fact to it.

The Royal Australian Navy saw to it that I was vaccinated against almost anything and everything that my childhood vaccinations did not give me. I am safely vaccinated. I feel comfortable when I travel by sea and air that I am not going to pick up anything nasty.

Apparently more people are dying per year of measles than from terrorist attacks yet this "elephant in the room" does not attract and attention from lawmakers to outlaw these anti-vaccination movements.

I heard a doctor say that anti vaxers only exist because they have not lived through the epidemics of the past and seen the consequences of the diseases. Perhaps an interesting idea would be drop them into some third world communities where vaccines aren't common so they can experience a world pre vaccine and see if they still think it is a good idea🤔.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I heard a doctor say that anti vaxers only exist because they have not lived through the epidemics of the past and seen the consequences of the diseases. Perhaps an interesting idea would be drop them into some third world communities where vaccines aren't common so they can experience a world pre vaccine and see if they still think it is a good idea🤔.

I agree with the doctor's theory. My mother often mentioned how her eldest child nearly died from whooping cough in the late 1930s before vaccination against it was available. I was brought up with the idea that vaccinations are good 👍 so I was glad the vaccinations were available when our children were born.

Anti-vaxers seem to work on the idea that these illnesses are so rare now, that they don't have to take the possible 'risk' of vaccinating their child. This has allowed such illnesses to rear their ugly heads again.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, MicCanberra said:

BTW,

(4) Collingwood beat (1) Geelong.

(3) Tigers beat (2) Brisbane.

(6) Western Sydney Giants beat the (7) Bulldogs.

(5) West Coast eagles beat (8) Essendon.

Collingwood and tigers get a weeks off as they progress straight into the semi finals.

Essendon and Bulldogs are finished for the season.

Giants play Brisbane and West Coast play Geelong next week to see who gets into the semi finals against the Tigers and Collingwood.

Hi Mic

Thanks for the update/summary. I have to piece it together using the standing at AFL site, so this is a big help.

Of course, I noticed that the Swans aren't on your list 😊