Cruise Critic Community
qdog123

Can you upgrade the dining package perk?

Hello folks,

Strange question, but the cruise I’m looking at comes with 5 nights of dining.  Is it possible to pay the difference between the 5 night and 12 night package rather then buying an extra 7 night dining package? This would save around $80pp + gratuity so i’m curious if anyone has had success doing this. 

Thanks!

Sadly - I was going to ask the same question 

Ditto, same question...

But for a 7 day cruise... 3 SDP and wanted to add 2 more nights. I don't believe there is a 2 night dining package, so we'll just have to pay normal charges.

I read on another post that they could upgrade it onboard, so it might be worth trying that 

5 hours ago, prwardii said:

Ditto, same question...

But for a 7 day cruise... 3 SDP and wanted to add 2 more nights. I don't believe there is a 2 night dining package, so we'll just have to pay normal charges.

Or purchase a 3 night package. You can use the package at Food Republic or Margaritavile for lunch (if you are platinum members and have 2 latitudes dinners. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I read on another post that they could upgrade it onboard, so it might be worth trying that 

Do you have a link to that post?

Many people have asked this question and yours is the first post I have ever seen which is anything other than a definite no. I’d be interested to see the post you are referring to,

I wonder whether it was someone saying they upgraded their package by buying a separate one, which is obviously possible.

The host of the cruise habit podcast said he was able to upgrade the internet package on his recent cruise ( they gave him $15/day credit toward a larger package I believe) so I was hoping something similar was available for the dining packages. 

Maybe someone who is going on a cruise in the near future can inquire while on board?

Edited by qdog123

1 minute ago, qdog123 said:

The host of the cruise habit podcast said he was able to upgrade the internet package on his recent cruise ( they gave him $15/day credit toward a larger package I believe) so I was hoping something similar was available for the dining packages. 

Maybe someone who is going on a cruise in the near future can inquire while on board?

You are correct about the internet package being upgradeable. That has been the case for a while, and is often reported on here. However, people haven’t been able to do similar with the dining package.

These things can change, of course, so there is no harm in asking.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Do you have a link to that post?

Many people have asked this question and yours is the first post I have ever seen which is anything other than a definite no. I’d be interested to see the post you are referring to,

I wonder whether it was someone saying they upgraded their package by buying a separate one, which is obviously possible.

Honestly I  can't remember it will have been in a review about Spirit but it could have been a website other than cc. After reading that I did ask my NCL PCC about upgrading it and he told me to ask onboard

On 9/5/2019 at 5:37 PM, qdog123 said:

Hello folks,

Strange question, but the cruise I’m looking at comes with 5 nights of dining.  Is it possible to pay the difference between the 5 night and 12 night package rather then buying an extra 7 night dining package? This would save around $80pp + gratuity so i’m curious if anyone has had success doing this. 

Thanks!

No the dining package  cannot be upgraded, BUT you don't have to have the package for the entire 12 days. Try the MDR and buffet. You may find you only want to add an extra three day package.

18 hours ago, qdog123 said:

The Internet package is upgradeable, in fact you can do it before sailing. The dining package, by its terms cannot be upgraded.

20 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

These things can change, of course, so there is no harm in asking.

Unless someone here has actually tried to do this and was refused, this is the only valuable response I've read here.

It continues to amaze me how many people jump in to respond to questions for which they actually don't know the answer (that is, they THINK they know based on other posts they read, or they never saw any post that said it's possible, etc.)  Why must people do this?? 

I am disabled and have been cruising NCL happily for a very long time. I won't detail here all of the amazing accommodations NCL has made for me over the years and how many of the things I read on CC "ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!" have been done for me  (repeatedly!)  I am sure if I posted here to inquire in advance I would have been unequivocally told NO! AGAINST THE RULES! IMAGINE IF THEY HAD TO DO THAT FOR EVERYONE! DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ENTITLED?! DIDN'T YOU READ THE T&C??!  Lucky I didn't ask on CC! LOL    

In my experience, 99% of the time, NCL (or should I say the employees of NCL - both onshore and onboard) have been utterly dedicated to ensuring that I have a wonderful cruise.  (Cue the people ready to jump in to ensure that I have "tipped appropriately!!!!" LOL)

I would definitely ask about a dining plan upgrade onboard - I have no personal experience on that one to share!

I just had to vent about all the responses (not just on this thread but across the forum) where so many people jump in only to be able to share "what they heard" when they really have no idea what's possible.

Edited by pcakes122

52 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Unless someone here has actually tried to do this and was refused, this is the only valuable response I've read here.

It continues to amaze me how many people jump in to respond to questions for which they actually don't know the answer (that is, they THINK they know based on other posts they read, or they never saw any post that said it's possible, etc.)  Why must people do this?? 

I am disabled and have been cruising NCL happily for a very long time. I won't detail here all of the amazing accommodations NCL has made for me over the years and how many of the things I read on CC "ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!" have been done for me  (repeatedly!)  I am sure if I posted here to inquire in advance I would have been unequivocally told NO! AGAINST THE RULES! IMAGINE IF THEY HAD TO DO THAT FOR EVERYONE! DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ENTITLED?! DIDN'T YOU READ THE T&C??!  Lucky I didn't ask on CC! LOL    

In my experience, 99% of the time, NCL (or should I say the employees of NCL - both onshore and onboard) have been utterly dedicated to ensuring that I have a wonderful cruise.  (Cue the people ready to jump in to ensure that I have "tipped appropriately!!!!" LOL)

I would definitely ask about a dining plan upgrade onboard - I have no personal experience on that one to share!

I just had to vent about all the responses (not just on this thread but across the forum) where so many people jump in only to be able to share "what they heard" when they really have no idea what's possible.

I believe that people are just trying to be helpful, certainly that was my reason for posting but I will remember your words and keep quiet next time

2 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I believe that people are just trying to be helpful, certainly that was my reason for posting but I will remember your words and keep quiet next time

I do think people are trying to be helpful, but if they don't have the answer perhaps the best answer is "I really don't know - good question!  Haven't had that experience myself, but if you ask onboard and they are able to do it, please come back and let us know!"  

16 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I do think people are trying to be helpful, but if they don't have the answer perhaps the best answer is "I really don't know - good question!  Haven't had that experience myself, but if you ask onboard and they are able to do it, please come back and let us know!"  

It depends a bit on the question. Many questions on here are answered with a wild variety of experiences, as people state what happened to them which can vary from ship to ship. Things like whether you may be able to get wine bottles onto the ship without paying corkage, or what you will be charged for extras whilst using the platinum meal voucher. There is no “correct” answer to those questions as it varies all the time.

However, there are other questions, and this current one is an example, where it has been asked many times and nobody has yet come up with an example of being able to do so (other than the possibility referred to above which was from someone else’s report and may have been a misunderstanding).

When this question is asked I will always say that no you can’t do it. I don’t think that the fact that I haven’t asked myself makes any difference to that. It is quite clear from the messages that are on this board that NCL don’t currently allow people to just pay the difference when you want to upgrade the dining package. Even if I had been able to do that myself then I still wouldn’t want to say that it is allowed until it became consistently reported on here.

Basically, NCL are so random in how they deal with some of these things that personal experience can actually be misleading. An aggregation of reported experiences helps show whether a policy is consistently applied.

Having said that, the answer I give is always a guideline, and as I said earlier, it never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no. It can hurt to rely on a personal experience reported on the internet if that proves to have been an exception.

4 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Sailing NCL 3-5 times a year, we have never successfully upgraded a dining package with additional nights. We have always had to purchased an additional 3-meal package (which we did last month) vs upgrade to a 6-meal package. Did this last month. 

Sailing NCL 3-5 times a year, we have only once successfully combined multiple internet promos (e.g., 250 free at sea perk, 60 minute latitude perk, other free internet minute promos) to an unlimited package. Nothing within the last 18 months. Asked about it last month. Lately it has been only the 250 minutes (if you have that perk) or the 60 minutes (if you don't have the 250 minute perk). 

I think that it is much better that questions are answered with the "correct" answer versus some one-off experience or exception 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that it is much better that questions are answered with the "correct" answer versus some one-off experience or exception 

I deliberately never post the exceptions NCL has made for me because I am sure heads here would explode LOL

On second thought, I remember I did share one thing because I thought it could help someone else.  On my one and only cruise on the Jade, the upholsterers onboard customized a piece of furniture to accommodate my disability.  I posted about it here and included photos and contact info for the housekeeping team just in case another passenger on a future cruise could use it.

That gesture by NCL was wonderfully appreciated by me, but doesn't even rank in the top 5 of what they have done for me.  But again, I won't share details because they might not do these things for everyone and I don't want incite the haters LOL  However, my point in even bringing it up is that is why I will never post a response to someone's question telling them that their request is ABSOLUTELY NOT POSSIBLE.  While something might not be probable, anything is possible! 😉