On the Summit right now!

Donut23

Having a splendid time on the Summit in Bermuda.

The Captain came on the PA the first day.  Noooooo don’t switch us to Canada to outrun Dorian.

We got lucky and sped up so we have had an extra day in Bermuda.  How lucky are we - until we drive through it beginning Friday at 3 pm.

The Summit looks splendid for the most part.  I’m a former yacht Captain and cannot stop looking around.  But more later.  She’s beautiful and I’ll give a full review when we return.

We are in 9164 aft facing handicapped accessible cabin.  Plenty big enough to handle my wheelchair and scooter.

ill backup and say the service onshore for boarding handicapped was shameful.  We arrived at 11:30 am and dropping bags, where to go was confusing.  We finally arrived in the handicapped area, we were checked in about 2 minutes later and our wait began for someone to push my chair.  That wait was until 2:45 pm.  THEN we had to wait for. Celebrity pusher to take us to our room.

Muster still - oh phony.  We were stressed.

Departure was picture perfect especially because he turned to PORT and steamed up to visit the Statue of Liberty.  She was shining proud.

The Summit is lovely.  I can comment on our carpet in our cabin with raw edges and easy pattern to match - not matched.  Overall she is a gem.

Ill have photos in my official post.

oh yea.  If your cell provider is AT&T you can get a daily international plan for $10 a day per device.  It’s GREAT.

(of course I lost my phone in our tour cab.  Luckily Rene found it.). Great X 10 tour guide - Rene.  77 years old and the energy of a college student.

TTFN

My DH and I were on our second Summit cruise in July,2018.

We enjoyed both cruises and appreciated no airline flights as the port in Bayonne is a close drive for us.

I would be really interested in seeing photos of the interior of the ship after the “Edgification” it went through during the latest dry dock.

Enjoy your visit in Bermuda- our favorite vacation destination.  Very fortunate for you that you have an extra day there !

8 hours ago, Donut23 said:

The Captain came on the PA the first day.  Noooooo don’t switch us to Canada to outrun Dorian.

We got lucky and sped up so we have had an extra day in Bermuda.  How lucky are we - until we drive through it beginning Friday at 3 pm.

The Summit looks splendid for the most part.  I’m a former yacht Captain and cannot stop looking around.  But more later.  She’s beautiful and I’ll give a full review when we return.

We are in 9164 aft facing handicapped accessible cabin.  Plenty big enough to handle my wheelchair and scooter.

ill backup and say the service onshore for boarding handicapped was shameful.  We arrived at 11:30 am and dropping bags, where to go was confusing.  We finally arrived in the handicapped area, we were checked in about 2 minutes later and our wait began for someone to push my chair.  That wait was until 2:45 pm.  THEN we had to wait for. Celebrity pusher to take us to our room.

Departure was picture perfect especially because he turned to PORT and steamed up to visit the Statue of Liberty.  She was shining proud.

The Summit is lovely.  I can comment on our carpet in our cabin with raw edges and easy pattern to match - not matched.  Overall she is a gem.

oh yea.  If your cell provider is AT&T you can get a daily international plan for $10 a day per device.  It’s GREAT.

(of course I lost my phone in our tour cab.  Luckily Rene found it.). Great X 10 tour guide - Rene.  77 years old and the energy of a college student.

TTFN

We were on the Summit last week, good luck getting home....

I was on a RCL trip in 2013 from Bayonne to Bermuda.  On our return we crossed paths with the remnants of a tropical storm, I don't think it was a major hurricane.  Lots of motion in the ocean.  Most people stayed away from the pool deck, but the couple of us who hit the swimming pool (the only one open, and no kids permitted) enjoyed a virtual wave pool with water level shifting by about 3 feet from end to end as the ocean rocked the boat.

Probably more comfortable than trying to walk the hallways!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donut23 said:

TTFN

Safe travels back to Port Liberty. We board the Summit right after you get off on Sunday.  

Donut23

Make sure that you fully understand and find out what that AT&T plan gets you.

My niece signed up for one thru AT&T also to use while on a cruise and thought she had unlimited use.  Found out all it did was give her a connection and she ended up with a very large bill that was over $700.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

OP:  glad you've been having a great time (except for that embarkation problem, no excuse for that)!

We are scheduled to embark on the Summit on Sunday after you get off.  NCL has just announced that the Escape, which left NY last Sunday when you did and has been in Bermuda with you and is also scheduled to return to NY Harbor early this Sunday, will be delayed in its arrival to "2pm or sooner," and that the Escape's next cruise won't be boarding until late in the afternoon. 

I have a small request:  if you learn on your way back to Cape Liberty (which I hope is a smooth sail) that your arrival on Sunday is going to be delayed (I'm not saying it will be), could you please post here (if you can) and let folks know?   If that does come to pass, I suspect you all on board may find out first...  Thanks!

In any event, enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

Edited by Turtles06

3 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I was on a RCL trip in 2013 from Bayonne to Bermuda.  On our return we crossed paths with the remnants of a tropical storm, I don't think it was a major hurricane.  Lots of motion in the ocean.  Most people stayed away from the pool deck, but the couple of us who hit the swimming pool (the only one open, and no kids permitted) enjoyed a virtual wave pool with water level shifting by about 3 feet from end to end as the ocean rocked the boat.

Probably more comfortable than trying to walk the hallways!

Quick note:

spent morning ashore deep in retail therapy.  Ship about to leave and must change phone to airplane mode.

Cool Celebrity AP works in Airplane Mode - we check our menus for Blu and Cosmopolitan - Main Dining - on the AP each day before dinner.  Menu’s help make decisions easier. 

Ok, phone off.  See you in Bayonne!  I love all the comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

OP:  glad you've been having a great time (except for that embarkation problem, no excuse for that)!

We are scheduled to embark on the Summit on Sunday after you get off.  NCL has just announced that the Escape, which left NY last Sunday when you did and has been in Bermuda with you and is also scheduled to return to NY Harbor early this Sunday, will be delayed in its arrival to "2pm or sooner," and that the Escape's next cruise won't be boarding until late in the afternoon. 

I have a small request:  if you learn on your way back to Cape Liberty (which I hope is a smooth sail) that your arrival on Sunday is going to be delayed (I'm not saying it will be), could you please post here (if you can) and let folks know?   If that does come to pass, I suspect you all on board may find out first...  Thanks!

I’ll be in airplane mode pretty soon.

we did ask around last night.  Everything is on schedule at the moment.

oh I’m so jealous - you will be boarding when we have giant tears in our eyes saying good bye to this splendid ship.

Jim and I have found 90,000 ton ships to be the perfect size for us. I’m sure we will return to Summit.

if you want a PERFECT shore tour, bypass the ship tours, go out to the public tour area and ask for Rene.  $50 an hour and he showed us the entire island in 4 hours.

Enough - my finger could be typing forever.

We will leave her sparkling and happy for your arrival.

jim has gone to the Jammer for beer and is going to ask around for any changes to the return itinerary.  I’ll report back if he hears of anything.

Wave to Miss Liberty for me.

E9F5274B-0417-496A-A4FB-15B4A3DE8FC4.thumb.jpeg.7dc16c6743979009587c241dd28b2bad.jpegE9F5274B-0417-496A-A4FB-15B4A3DE8FC4.thumb.jpeg.7dc16c6743979009587c241dd28b2bad.jpeg

59E70915-C562-48FD-933F-E971509E91EC.jpeg

• Like 1

"oh yea.  If your cell provider is AT&T you can get a daily international plan for $10 a day per device.  It’s GREAT."

I have AT&T and know that you can pay $10 day and use your phone just like at home (unlimited text, talk, internet). 

So can you now pay $10 day and have the use of your phone at sea as well?

Thanks.  We are on the summit next month out of PR. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

So can you now pay $10 day and have the use of your phone at sea as well?

I also have AT&T. I think you misunderstood the OP’s post. She has been docked in Bermuda for three days, using the $10/ day daily international plan, connecting to cellular service on land in Bermuda. It doesn’t apply at sea when there’s no foreign cellular towers. (Note in comment 8 that the OP is turning her phone off when they leave Bermuda.) AT&T’s web site has a great deal of info on their travel plans, including cruise ship plans. 

Edited by Turtles06

On a cruise, put your phone in airplane mode before turning it off.  We found out the hard way. We only turned the phone off and stored it in the safe. Never turned it on until we disembarked.  Phone keeps looking for signal even off.  Got a nasty bill from T-Mobile.  They nicely explained why we were charged and did cancel the roaming charges.  If you want to use the app for X on the ship, put the phone in airplane mode. It works well. Only problem is the incorrect info from the app. On my recent cruise, I got frustrated with all the misinfo and turned the phone off.  You really don’t need the phone while cruising.

15 hours ago, MJSailors said:

My DH and I were on our second Summit cruise in July,2018.

We enjoyed both cruises and appreciated no airline flights as the port in Bayonne is a close drive for us.

I would be really interested in seeing photos of the interior of the ship after the “Edgification” it went through during the latest dry dock.

Enjoy your visit in Bermuda- our favorite vacation destination.  Very fortunate for you that you have an extra day there !

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Captain just updated all of us.

we will go at least 100 miles, or more, out of our way to avoid Dorian.

right now he anticipates a 2 hour delay for disembarkation.

ok, phone off for sure this time.  We depart in 30 minutes.  Eyes filled with a few tears.

we’re coming home for you!!!

👍❤️😁👍❤️😁👍❤️👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

Captain just updated all of us.

we will go at least 100 miles, or more, out of our way to avoid Dorian.

right now he anticipates a 2 hour delay for disembarkation.

ok, phone off for sure this time.  We depart in 30 minutes.  Eyes filled with a few tears.

we’re coming home for you!!!

👍❤️😁👍❤️😁👍❤️👍

Thanks for that last minute pre-departure update!  Safe travels home!

On 9/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Donut!  Safe travels home!   Glad you got a good look at the Statue of Liberty on your way out!

Home. 😭

Happy for everyone boarding and Pea Green with Jealousy for whoever is staying in our cabin..... one of our best.

More official later.

Highlight?  Our tour with Rene.  77 year old, he is the energizer bunny of tour guides and he LOVES his island.

Spend some time in St. George’s.

Close second -the ship and her crew.  Beautiful ship (especially our cabin).  Crew everywhere very nice and approachable.

Lowlights?

getting on and off the ship.  This morning it was awful - even worse than getting on.

All the limpees gathered in the Martini Bar and surrounding hallways.  The head of the musical staff was stuck organizing it all.  

We had more seniors than usual - still no excuse.

There were absolutely no pushers. Head music man was calling his friends.  One woman showed up and actually yelled at him .. “I have cabins to clean”.

People ashore said it was the ship.  Whoever it was it left a horrible last impression on a beautiful trip.

Lou’s mother joined them on an Alaska cruise this spring.  Mama Joyce was treated like royalty in her wheelchair with pushers waiting in line.

Oh well.  We will let Celebrity know.  I’m sure they will make things better.

We did miss stabilizers.  We went 100 miles out of our way to avoid 20’ Seas.  We DID have a bumpy/rolly night.  With my bad leg in need of a knee transplant, I was a webble.  You should have seen me heading across that big cabin to reach the bathroom!

TTFN 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Looking forward to your review...

I should complete a review in a few days.

Sadly there are no photographs.  The rockin and rollin hurt my knee with next to no cartledge.  I couldn’t get around and took a much needed pain pill.  I was knocked out till dinner.

im sorry guys.  I’ll try and describe it for you.

Now, must get more terrier hugs.🐺❤️🐺❤️🐺

• Like 1