Cruise Critic Community
adelaidefc

Holland America currency when pre-paying services online in Aus

Hi,

I've looked far and wide for the answer to this one.

I'm thinking of booking a HAL Norway cruise on Nieuw Statendam next year, through either a TA or the HAL site.

I've noticed HAL don't seem to have a direct Australian contact number, but they do charge in AUD on their website for the booking itself.

So I was wondering if once you book, you can pre-pay excursions/drinks packages etc in AUD as well?

Depending on the conversion, this could be very much cheaper. For example on an MSC cruise I went on earlier this year, I could pre-pay Internet, Spa Access and the Premium drinks package in AUD online, for what turned out to be much cheaper than the Euro amount when converted.

Also, if I book through a TA, can I still manage my booking through the HAL website? (that's a completely newbie question - I've only ever been on that one MSC cruise).

Thanks!

Edited by adelaidefc
Title change

We prepaid our various items (wine package and such) via the online service, it is advertised in AUD but in reality it is charged via overseas so I suggest you use a credit card that doesn't attract international transaction fees (i.e 28 Degrees).

Having a TA does not affect buying through the planner.

All purchases on HAL web site are in US$ apart from the cruise cost.  You can pre-purchase online but there are very few discounts, eg Internet package is cheaper but only for the highest level plan.  Having a TA does not affect purchases but it does stop you from other activities.  In case of a price drop, only your TA can negotiate with HAL.

HAL has a hotel charge pp per day in US$ which is not included in the price.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:55 PM, adelaidefc said:

Hi,

I've looked far and wide for the answer to this one.

I'm thinking of booking a HAL Norway cruise on Nieuw Statendam next year, through either a TA or the HAL site.

I've noticed HAL don't seem to have a direct Australian contact number, but they do charge in AUD on their website for the booking itself.

Thanks!

I found an Australian contact number 1300 987322

or if someone is call from NZ it is 0061 1300987322

Staff most helpful.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, MargoK said:

I found an Australian contact number 1300 987322

or if someone is call from NZ it is 0061 1300987322

Staff most helpful.

Hi folks.

On board Maasdam right now ship is nice and comfortable ...see my live blog in HAL board. Margot will be waving to you as from tomorrow ..bay of Islands and Auckland before departing into the Pacific , Tonga, nuie.fiji and new caladonia and back to oz.

Best regards.

John Jean & Elsie

30 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi folks.

On board Maasdam right now ship is nice and comfortable ...see my live blog in HAL board. Margot will be waving to you as from tomorrow ..bay of Islands and Auckland before departing into the Pacific , Tonga, nuie.fiji and new caladonia and back to oz.

Best regards.

John Jean & Elsie

Hi John,

How nice to see all three of you still on the ocean waves.   Must check out your blog.   The weather is not looking good for your visit unfortunately.   We have a high of 26C today in Auckland but by Saturday it is supposed to be wet and warm = humid!