Is there any possibility of seeing whales/dolphins from my balcony?

beckyboo1986

I'm cruising in a couple of weeks from Vancouver to Victoria then San Francisco and finally LA. Is there any possibility of potentially seeing any sea life from my balcony?

I assume only chances would be Vancouver to Victoria.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Not silly question.  We've done a repo around that time.  We did whale excursion in Victoria but guessing you have the late day arrival into Victoria which makes it hard to see things in a beautiful city.  Why can't they get there earlier anymore?

We saw some sea life down the coast but you just didn't know when so you kind of have to do the wait and see.

Possibly Orcas up here in the PNW as we have resident pods. I think it’s a little to early for humpback whale migration up the coast. The port of LA consistently has sightings of blue whales! It all depends on time of day (earlier the better) and how close to shore you are. 

5 hours ago, dexddd said:

Not silly question.  We've done a repo around that time.  We did whale excursion in Victoria but guessing you have the late day arrival into Victoria which makes it hard to see things in a beautiful city.  Why can't they get there earlier anymore?

We saw some sea life down the coast but you just didn't know when so you kind of have to do the wait and see.

On the same cruise and Victoria is 8:00am until 5:00pm.  It all depends on your distance from previous port / distance to next port.  If you don't like the itinerary, don't take it.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:29 AM, beckyboo1986 said:

I'm cruising in a couple of weeks from Vancouver to Victoria then San Francisco and finally LA. Is there any possibility of potentially seeing any sea life from my balcony?

I assume only chances would be Vancouver to Victoria.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Of course it is possible. Dolphins could be with the ship any time from Vancouver to LA. Whales would likely be further north.

The area between Vanc and Victoria is used by the orca viewing tours. 

The Gulf Islands and SanJuan Islands are popular viewing spots.  I've taken tours out of Anacortes in early Sept and always saw orcas, but that's because the captn knew where they were and could go to them.  Obviously a cruise ship can't change course.  Salmon are active right now so it's probably a good time for you. 

Once on the ferry to Victoria we saw a few orcas but that was once out of dozens of ferry trips.

Good luck!

On 9/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, PinoyCruiser said:

On the same cruise and Victoria is 8:00am until 5:00pm.  It all depends on your distance from previous port / distance to next port.  If you don't like the itinerary, don't take it.

That's some wisdom there.

There have been great whale sightings off the Oregon coast right now. Seems they are close to Depoe Bay and are  closer to shore than ever before.

We have seen Orcas on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria and there are several good Orca watching tours out of Victoria - suggest you take one of them.

The whales will be migrating down from Alaska so sightings are possible.