Cruise Critic Community
Ka13USC

E501 and E503 Royal ship

Hi, we are going on an Alaska cruise on the Royal Princess. We are booked in rooms 501 and 503 on the Emerald Deck. How bad is the obstructed view? I found a couple pictures but was looking for personal reviews. 

Also, the notes say: balcony doors locked when upper is in use? What does that mean? Since we have a couple days on sea I would like to be able to use the balcony. 

Appreciate anyones feedback back on these rooms. Thanks so much!

Karen

14 minutes ago, Ka13USC said:

Hi, we are going on an Alaska cruise on the Royal Princess. We are booked in rooms 501 and 503 on the Emerald Deck. How bad is the obstructed view? I found a couple pictures but was looking for personal reviews. 

Also, the notes say: balcony doors locked when upper is in use? What does that mean? Since we have a couple days on sea I would like to be able to use the balcony. 

Appreciate anyones feedback back on these rooms. Thanks so much!

Karen

The upper drops down from the ceiling across the balcony door about 1 foot. When it is made up for the night. The door is NOT locked. During the day the berth is stowed back in the ceiling.

Similar to this photo.

522641BD-12A1-41A5-996A-EA41E41002FA.jpeg

The view from these cabins is obstructed by equipment on the deck outside your window. The view is more open than if there was a lifeboat out there as in most obstructed view cabins.

the upper bed does not “lock” the balcony door, it “blocks” the door, in that you must crouch down under the the bed to access the door. I believe E501 and E503 are window cabins with no outside door. These cabins are actually a little bigger than the balcony cabins. We actually prefer them unless the cruise is in a temperate zone where it’s comfortable to sit outside. Alaska cruises can be quite cold outside when the ship in underway. In places like Glaser Bay the ship moves very slowly to mitigate this problem. 

23 minutes ago, wineglass said:

The view from these cabins is obstructed by equipment on the deck outside your window. The view is more open than if there was a lifeboat out there as in most obstructed view cabins.

the upper bed does not “lock” the balcony door, it “blocks” the door, in that you must crouch down under the the bed to access the door. I believe E501 and E503 are window cabins with no outside door. These cabins are actually a little bigger than the balcony cabins. We actually prefer them unless the cruise is in a temperate zone where it’s comfortable to sit outside. Alaska cruises can be quite cold outside when the ship in underway. In places like Glaser Bay the ship moves very slowly to mitigate this problem. 

These cabins are indeed balcony cabins with a sliding door. Royal class ships do not have window cabins.* All outside cabins have balconies. You can access the balcony when the upper berths are lowered. It is just that your view from parts of the cabin are blocked by the upper 4th  berth. Your view from the balcony will be straight out. Looking down you will see the life boats. You may have glass or solid railing. 

* There are a few, 6, outside view cabins forward on deck 17 of the new Sky and Enchanted Princess.

What cabin do you have that has a balcony large enough to sleep on?  Most of them are barely large enough for 2 people to sit comfortably.  DO NOT remove furniture/mattress from inside your cabin.  DO NOT leave your balcony door open!  IC is open, but the ship will be very quiet in the middle of the night.  However,  you are allowed to wander around.

17 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

What cabin do you have that has a balcony large enough to sleep on?  Most of them are barely large enough for 2 people to sit comfortably.  DO NOT remove furniture/mattress from inside your cabin.  DO NOT leave your balcony door open!  IC is open, but the ship will be very quiet in the middle of the night.  However,  you are allowed to wander around.

Hi Lady Arwen, 

I'm not sure what you are asking/stating?  We were never planning on sleeping on the balcony or removing furniture or mattresses.  I was simply asking what that "clause" meant for our room.

33 minutes ago, Ka13USC said:

Hi Lady Arwen, 

I'm not sure what you are asking/stating?  We were never planning on sleeping on the balcony or removing furniture or mattresses.  I was simply asking what that "clause" meant for our room.

If you’re referring to the balcony doors being locked, I think that means when you’re using the upper bed, you can’t access the balcony door. As long as the bed is not in use, you should be ok.

44 minutes ago, Ka13USC said:

Hi Lady Arwen, 

So sorry, by bad!  Referring to the wrong thread.  I'll try to remove it!

I recently stayed in E626 - the obstruction from the balcony wasn't too bad, but the bed that comes down from the ceiling completely blocks off the balcony door. You have to crawl under it to get to the balcony, desk, or fridge! I would never stay in one of these rooms again. I posted a picture on another thread - I will try to find it and post it!

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Here you go - behind the bed is the balcony!

thanks for the photo!

My parents were in E502 in 2017 while we were in the deluxe version with a sofa sleeper (E332). This time it's the opposite, so I wanted to see what the pullman bed in that room would look like. Our DS loves pullman beds, but if the mattresses on regular beds don't get replaced to a softer version, I will be switching with my parents because the sleeper sofa is much softer than a regular bed.

Here is what the room looks like while the pullman bed is stored in the ceiling. And the view.

I would never stay in one of these rooms again.

We loved both rooms, so I booked them for our upcoming cruise.

11269973666_875857b703_c.jpg

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We were in E501 on the Royal for Christmas 2018.  There is a lifeboat just beyond and below the (narrow) balcony.  The lifeboat only (partly) obstructs the view down, to the promenade on Deck 7.  You'll be able to enjoy the view beyond the ship.

Cabin E501 is a triple.  In the evenings the cabin attendant will bring the bunk bed down from the ceiling.  It's inside the ceiling so you won't know it's there during the day.  As other posters have stated, you can go to the balcony when the bunk bed is down by crouching underneath it.  The balcony door is not locked.

When selecting a triple cabin on the Royal, we considered an inside cabin until we saw that the third, bunk bed isn't  flush to the wall during the day.  The balcony cabin bunk bed, as stated above, is flush to the ceiling during the day.  The cabin attendant introduces a key into a keyhole on the ceiling to bring the bunk bed down.

Regarding E501 and E503's location, they are only 2-3 doors down from the central staircase.  Very convenient.  On Deck 7 right below the cabins there's the hallway between the atrium area and Princess Live.  Thus, no noise from below.

Hope you enjoy your Alaskan cruise on the Royal!