Have you ever slept on your stateroom balcony?

jmadams

I don't consider myself an insomniac however I do routinely operate on something between 5 and 6 hours a night.  Friends joke that the always check the timestamp of my emails to see if I'm 'late' writing after 3AM or so.  Cruise ship cabins being small as they are, and my DW needing a more 'normal' amount I sleep I'm frequently wandering the halls at 3, 4 or 5AM.  I'm always amazed by how MANY people there are out and around at this time.  You'll bump into 5 or 10 (15 or 20?) people around the IC in these early hours, some, jet lagged, some insomniacs and some just crazy's like me.  In any case, nobody will raise so much as an eyebrow.  

You'll also learn the IC isn't truly 24 hours.  There is a brief changeover period around 3 or 4AM when they clean out all the cases, toss out yesterday's goodies and get set up for breakfast.  Even during this period they are happy to serve you, but selections will be limited and not on full display in the case but rather on the transport rack.  The overnight barista will be really happy to see you as any little bit of business helps keep him/her going until the end of their shift which is typically around 6AM.

I have nothing to add to the sleeping on the balcony topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Not intentionally. Sure hope your cabin is damn high so that a rogue wave  doesn't sweep you overboard!😱

Just looking at the Grand Class ships, the lowest cabin with a balcony is on the 8th deck -- not much chance of a rogue wave that high! 

Most Princess ships don't have sofa beds in their regular balcony cabins ... so, unless she were to get a deluxe balcony on one of the Royal class ships or a mini-suite full suite in other ships, there will be no sofa bed ... thus, no mattress to drag out onto the balcony.  Then again, I don't think the balconies are large enough to fit a sofa bed mattress on the Royal class, maybe not even on the other classes, come to think of it.  And, many ships don't have covered mini-suites, however, there are a few....so without one, people will be looking right down upon you.  I had someone's vomit on my uncovered balcony one morning, so there is always that, too.  Anyway, I still don't think the balconies of the mini-suite would be of sufficient size for a mattress.  Plus, it just isn't a good idea as the balcony flooring is just not that clean and you will most likely damage it.  They also do clean the balconies by hosing them off from above, so you might get a lovely shower or other's dirt, even though they usually only hose them off during the day.  If you have a suite, you will probably have loungers with cushions already on them so hopefully, you wouldn't feel the need to drag a mattress out there.  

If that didn't dissuade you, most ships do have cushioned chair coverings they use for Movies Under the Stars.  I think you may be better off working with the hotel director to snag one or two of those for your balcony slumber for the entirety of your cruise.  The covers are replaceable and are made to be subjected to the elements.  That would probably be your best bet.  Or, as others have mentioned, take your own blow up mattress.  They have ones that can be inflated and deflated within minutes just by plugging it in.  

10 hours ago, jmadams said:

I am new to cruising and I really want to sleep on my balcony at least one night. Anyone ever do this? I was thinking I could take the mattress from the sofa bed and put it on the balcony. I’ve read you can also request an extra pad for the sofa bed to make it softer.

If I’m sleeping inside, will it be convenient/a good idea to leave the door open? I have read people prop the door with a chair or sometimes bring bungee cords or duct tape.

I have a problem with insomnia. Is the cruiseship empty at night?  If I am on one of the decks walking at 3 AM will I be alone?   I am really glad the international café is 24/7,  I’m used to having hot tea anytime I want… 🤓

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I can see this is your first cruise and don't have a lot of cruise info yet.  I guess you can tell by now you ask a loaded question.

As others have answered it is not a great idea to do either on of the two things you ask about.  I think asking for some chair mats from the pool deck that another post said might be a good idea.  

Living on a ship for no matter how long or short the time is different from living in your own home, as you now can tell.

Enjoy you cruise and the planning of it.  All so join your Roll Call and check out the ports of call board.

Have a great cruise.

I'm not sure just what aspect of "sleeping outside" appeals to you.  But if it is the sound of the waves, we found that (at least on the Pacific Princess) there was a TV channel that broadcasts wave sounds.  With that on and the air conditioning cranked to provide a cool breeze, you might feel you were outdoors...?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, QuilterGirl said:

I'm not sure just what aspect of "sleeping outside" appeals to you.  But if it is the sound of the waves, we found that (at least on the Pacific Princess) there was a TV channel that broadcasts wave sounds.  With that on and the air conditioning cranked to provide a cool breeze, you might feel you were outdoors...?

There are also lots of cell phone white noise or wave noise apps.

DON

DW and I slept out on the balcony once on the Norwegian Jewel. We had a forward suite. Large out there, big as a small bedroom. Anyway, used the robes for blankets and a towel and our hoodies for a pillow with the lounger propped up a bit. It was really nice. Until the window washing rig showed up above us on the bridge windows sometime around 2 or 3 AM, I'm guessing. Lovely surprise.

Sleep inside. They don't want or expect people to be sleeping on the balcony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, medsed said:

We have hung hammocks on our balcony before...forward facing on royal lido deck...we napped out there but never slept out there all night.  We got the idea from a fellow member here.

What exactly do you hang them on?  Sounds interesting.

T

1 minute ago, RocHed11 said:

What exactly do you hang them on?  Sounds interesting.

And which cruise lines allow it?  I know Princess has warnings not to leave anything unattended on the balcony.  They don't want anything falling into the ocean or onto another balcony.

I don’t know what was going on in the middle of the night on my Anthem of the Seas balcony but every morning at sunrise I stepped in puddle.  During the love and marriage game when asked  “Where the most unusual place you made love was”?, the young newlywed couple replied the ships balcony. Apparently thing do go bump in the night on a cruise ship balcony

jmadams (OP)-

After reading the responses to your question, I think you know the answers to sleeping on the balcony and opening the balcony door.

Putting a sofa bed mattress on a balcony overnight could cause the mattress to be damp from humidity in the air. Putting that mattress back into the sofa bed and closing it up could lead to mold/mildew forming on the mattress. As an asthmatic, I would not appreciate finding such a situation in my cabin !

As to leaving the balcony door open, I seem to recall a notice near the door posted by Princess that reminds passengers not to do that.

It could possibly affect the AC in cabins near your cabin. But,it also brings humidity/moisture into the your  cabin. That could affect the AC in your cabin.

If you deal with insomnia, you could quietly go out to your balcony and sit on the balcony furniture for awhile to watch the stars and the water as the ship sails along. You could also see if there are loungers available on the open decks.

Perhaps some Camomile tea or hot milk may also help your sleeplessness.

Please remember that you are on a cruise ship with hundreds of your fellow passengers. Actions you may choose for your comfort may very well make others uncomfortable.

• Like 1

i never have the air conditioning turned on in my cabin unless it is very hot or very cold outside.

reason being I have had so many of those upper respiratory chest infections a misery on cruises only I presume must be allergic  to it. Always pay more for a balcony now and with air conditioning turned off leave that balcony door just slightly open at night to let the sea air in.No more upper respiratory chest infections.

11 minutes ago, kruisey said:

i never have the air conditioning turned on in my cabin unless it is very hot or very cold outside.

reason being I have had so many of those upper respiratory chest infections a misery on cruises only I presume must be allergic  to it. Always pay more for a balcony now and with air conditioning turned off leave that balcony door just slightly open at night to let the sea air in.No more upper respiratory chest infections.

On the Royal class ships it's impossible to turn off the AC totally. A certain amount of AC is always being circulated into the room no matter where the thermostat is set.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, jmadams said:

I am new to cruising and I really want to sleep on my balcony at least one night. Anyone ever do this? I was thinking I could take the mattress from the sofa bed and put it on the balcony. I’ve read you can also request an extra pad for the sofa bed to make it softer.

If I’m sleeping inside, will it be convenient/a good idea to leave the door open? I have read people prop the door with a chair or sometimes bring bungee cords or duct tape.

I have a problem with insomnia. Is the cruiseship empty at night?  If I am on one of the decks walking at 3 AM will I be alone?   I am really glad the international café is 24/7,  I’m used to having hot tea anytime I want… 🤓

We have never spent the night on our balcony but often sit on the balcony drinking coffee or hot chocolate late at night.

No one can stop you leaving your balcony door wide open as they slide open and don't need any chairs to keep them open as the handle can be turned to lock the door open although it has been reported it can affect the air conditioning in nearby cabins.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have never spent the night on our balcony but often sit on the balcony drinking coffee or hot chocolate late at night.

No one can stop you leaving your balcony door wide open as they slide open and don't need any chairs to keep them open as the handle can be turned to lock the door open although it has been reported it can affect the air conditioning in nearby cabins.

That's true although they do ask that you don't do so.

Maybe they should have a delayed buzzer to keep people form leaving it open all night long?

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If they ask you not to, why would you do so?

• Like 4