Have you ever slept on your stateroom balcony?

jmadams

17 hours ago, brisalta said:

Remember to turn your balcony lights off as well! Leaving the balcony lights on prevents others having a clear view of the sky at night.

I didn't even realize there were balcony lights until one night I looked on the balcony and noticed the lights were on!  It took me a second to turn it off.  Not sure who turned them on, but I felt bad.  Took about 3 days to figure out.

• Like 1

i think about it on our upcoming Hawaii cruise, with a lounger not a mattress Which is more me wanting to now do crazy things on vacations. I mostly think about it cause honeymoon and my future wife and I for religious reasons haven't ever slept in the bed together. so I being noble will let her sleep alone to get sleep over me cause if im tired enough I can fall asleep on a rock covered in sharp pokey things when I started roofing I would nap on the roofs sooo dangerous crazy places aren't new. I just like being a rebel. Cant say I would want the work of trying to drag mattresses around seems like way to much work just get tons of pillows and use a blanket on a lounger frankly. seems smarter.

1 hour ago, toads45froggy said:

i think about it on our upcoming Hawaii cruise, with a lounger not a mattress Which is more me wanting to now do crazy things on vacations. I mostly think about it cause honeymoon and my future wife and I for religious reasons haven't ever slept in the bed together. so I being noble will let her sleep alone to get sleep over me cause if im tired enough I can fall asleep on a rock covered in sharp pokey things when I started roofing I would nap on the roofs sooo dangerous crazy places aren't new. I just like being a rebel. Cant say I would want the work of trying to drag mattresses around seems like way to much work just get tons of pillows and use a blanket on a lounger frankly. seems smarter.

If that carries over to the cruise.

You can have the beds made up as 2 singles?

That is how the queen is made up.

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Why not just have the beds made up as 2 singles?

That is what the queen is up of.

i havent fit on a single bed since i was 13.

its not a plan just ramblings in my mind. i over think life because I never really tried in my 20s i just floated sans at my career. and were both fluffy.

edited forgot part

Edited by toads45froggy

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So that makes it right? No.

If you are not certain why post this? Because people are saying they can catch fire.

Have you lit one on fire to verify? I have not but I did read that they are fireproof.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Who cares if they are? It doesn't make it right.

I didn't say it was right. Just fireproof. 

16 minutes ago, brisalta said:

It probably did not work well because of rude neighbours leaving the balcony door open.

Some ships just have cabins that have AC that's been bad since they were built.

It's not always other people leaving the doors open that causes cabins to be warm.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, donaldsc said:

There have been times when I unintentionally slept part of the night on the balcony.  I was either reading or just sitting on the balcony late at night and fell asleep.  However, I have never slept there ALL night.

DON

I have done the same thing. It's actually really nice to fall asleep on the balcony but the loungers are not that comfortable for all night long. I also agree with everyone else, please don't lug a mattress or cushions from sofa bed out there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Some ships just have cabins that have AC that's been bad since they were built.

It's not always other people leaving the doors open that causes cabins to be warm.

I guess you never read chengkp75 explanation on how ships airconditioning systems function. Take a read of comment #17 at:

Edited by brisalta

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not certain but I would think the mattress's are fireproof. 

Courtesy of Mr. Cool Runnings, the mattresses meet 16 CFR Part 1633.

I will leave it to the gentle readers to look up the code of federal regulations.

33109273556_84999a320b_k.jpg

The entire post I took the image from is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2377812-new-princess-beds/

7 hours ago, brisalta said:

I guess you never read chengkp75 explanation on how ships airconditioning systems function. Take a read of comment #17 at:

Oh, I do agree that anything has an effect on the total capacity of the systems zone but not to the degree that one or two people leaving a balcony door open would cause the complete zone to be degraded. 

I've been on some Princess ships where the cabin was impossible to cool down -morning- noon-night time, while the same deck on the opposite side was fine. Princess will look at the problem & fiddle around with the thermostat to appease people but on occasion nothing can correct a poor design. 

All cooling problems aren't caused by people leaving a balcony door open.... not that we do. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Oh, I do agree that anything has an effect on the total capacity of the systems zone but not to the degree that one or two people leaving a balcony door open would cause the complete zone to be degraded. 

You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of "facts". Yuge problem in this country.

A 40+ year career engineer has already explained numerous times that a single balcony door left open impacts the system in a significant manner.

• Like 2

During the day I would occasionally go out and lay on one of the loungers with the lounger provided blanket over me and nap for about a half an hour or so.  I would then wake up, fold up the blanket as I had found it on the lounger and go back inside.  We always keep our balcony door closed except to go in and out.

I cannot even imagine trying to sleep out there all night.  I would probably die of hypothermia as the winds can get very cold at sea over night.

I slept on the balcony 1 night during my 1st Royal Caribbean cruise however, I did not take the furniture onto the balcony. I used the 2 chairs that were there. I put the chairs across from one another, draped a bath towel over the seat & back of the chair I was going to have my upper body in, used 1 bed pillow for my head and put one under my bum. The pillow was large enough to position to cover the hard armrest. I used another bath towel to cover my feet up to my thighs (it was warm, no full cover needed). I turned on my side & scrunched down in the chair as best I could with my legs & feet up on the other chair (I sleep in the fetal position anyway but was able to stretch out my legs during the night).  I placed the table beside me, I had some juice and a bedtime snack on it. I was able to get comfortable enough that I actually fell asleep.  Because I am a light sleeper, I woke up early the next morning in time to put the balcony furniture back in its "normal" position and go into my cabin before any neighbors came out. I did not have a problem with the salt spray as I was on an upper deck, 9 or 10 if my memory serves me right. I have not done it since, but contemplated it during my cruise this past April. Maybe I'll give it a go again on my upcoming cruise this January (temperature permitting).