Cruise Critic Community
garypolton

Snorkeling on you own recommendations

Sorry if this has been asked before...

We are traveling as a group of 8 and would like to do our own day of snorkeling. We are all pretty fit and don't have any restrictions of what we can do. Or any excursions not thru a cruise line that take you out to a great reef that isn't mobbed with 50 people that kick each other because the water is so congested. 

Could anyone recommend a good place like a beach where we could taxi to that has decent snorkeling off of a beach? This way we could go snorkeling and have a beach day. We do have our own equipment but wouldn't hurt if the beach has rental.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

When I'm in St. Thomas, my favorite places to snorkel are Coki beach and Sapphire beach. Coki has a larger number of and more colorful fish and Sapphire has more marine plant life. For us, Coki is more consistent if you want to feel like inside an aquarium (hint: take a dog biscuit with you and fish will eat literally out of your hand) and Sapphire always has surprises every time we've gone (we've been surprised by eels, lobsters and stingrays). We have been on cruise stops and land vacations. Taxis, I think, are about $10 per person each way. We always rent a car and drive ourselves and have been able to visit both beaches in the same day for a few hours while on a cruise. Our stop has been from 8am-5pm out of Heavensight pier. Taxi for 8 of you can run about $160 round trip. You might look into maybe renting a van for the day (split the rental amount between everyone) and have more flexibility and/or freedom to explore. They drive on the left in St. Thomas with the steering wheel on the left, but it's pretty easy to get used to it. Waze and Google Maps work great there for directions.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE FISH DOG BISCUTS OR ANYTHING ELSE. 

Feeding the fish is detrimental and possibly deadly for the fish. There are all kinds of studies to prove this.  

Feeding the iguanas makes them aggressive if any food is around. 

Let nature do what nature does. 

Also please do not stand, walk on, or touch coral ( rock is part of a coral reef so the rule is “stand on sand”). 

6 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

When I'm in St. Thomas, my favorite places to snorkel are Coki beach and Sapphire beach. Coki has a larger number of and more colorful fish and Sapphire has more marine plant life. For us, Coki is more consistent if you want to feel like inside an aquarium (hint: take a dog biscuit with you and fish will eat literally out of your hand) and Sapphire always has surprises every time we've gone (we've been surprised by eels, lobsters and stingrays). We have been on cruise stops and land vacations. Taxis, I think, are about $10 per person each way. We always rent a car and drive ourselves and have been able to visit both beaches in the same day for a few hours while on a cruise. Our stop has been from 8am-5pm out of Heavensight pier. Taxi for 8 of you can run about $160 round trip. You might look into maybe renting a van for the day (split the rental amount between everyone) and have more flexibility and/or freedom to explore. They drive on the left in St. Thomas with the steering wheel on the left, but it's pretty easy to get used to it. Waze and Google Maps work great there for directions.

Thanks so much for the incite! This is exactly what I was looking for!

I want to show the other cruisers a great time without having to book a Carnival excursion and being let down again... We did one in Cozumel and could have just done it on our own instead of having 50+ other people crowded around us and constantly getting kicked and bumped into lol. That was a waste of money and took the whole day.

Go to a website such as cruise timetable or such other and find out how many ships will be in port and what their loads are.  If it is a day when there are 7-10,000 cruisers, it will be difficult to not feel over run at Coki, Sapphire, Magen's, and Secret Harbor. In that case I would research Hull Bay, which is not as famous but is off the beaten path with a little beach restaurant behind it, or Lindqvist aka Smith Bay Park (not far from Sapphire but with no services.) Lindqvist has the prettier beach but there is an entrance fee.

The website VINOW dot COM can start you off

Edited by MNgardens