Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
TheMettins

Armonia Rumors!?!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Lately?  Ever since FDR came in about 3.5 years ago customer delight gets a kick every time they can squeeze out a nickel.

 

We have one cruisenext cert left and even as Plat Plus we will probably sell it.

Kevin Sheehan started it with getting NCLH listed and then FDR just went crazy with it! You're right on the span of time. I took a break from NCL in 2018 and returned to the Epic this June and paid a premium price for garbage. I didn't get the drinks package since I don't drink that much and a $20 premium drink which used to cost $10 just 2 years back was the part that pissed me off. I can't even have a drink without being fleeced. FDR is going to kill NCL. The only loyal cruisers they have now are drunks, who by night time are puking. It's disgusting! Sad because I helped build up NCL with word of mouth from the 2003 voyage and now it's gone to this. I see MSC as the way NCL was, starting out... with hiccups and such in service but nice ships... but MSC is privately owned (thankfully). If they go to investors, the product will go to poop!

 

I didn't know you could sell your CruiseNext deposits! I might do just that! I have two left. Never again will I be buying them either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 6:03 PM, kidless said:

We are boarding her in couple weeks! I think Tampa be great port. I hope MSC brings ship to Port Canaveral! Competition is a good thing! 

Us too, 10/28.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

As a side note: The HAL Veendam and Celebrity Connie are both coming to Tampa. You will have lots of choices :). 

 

Exciting!  Competition is a good thing for us as cruisers.

 

I've sailed NCL once (Star EB TA in April 2018) and purchased a Cruise Next certificate that I need to use within a couple of years.  But since I'm fine in an inside cabin, the whole Haven vs YC thing isn't a concern for me.  I'll take my one free perk (drinks, thanks!) and be happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CruisinMaterial said:

I didn't know you could sell your CruiseNext deposits! I might do just that! I have two left. Never again will I be buying them either!

 

I'm interested in purchasing your Cruisenext. When do they expire?

 

NCL, like ALL cruise lines, have positive and negatives. I don't necessarily go with "only drunks" as I really don't drink that much and still enjoy NCL when it's priced right given the itinerary. NCL offered us a FABULOUS cruise through Norway on the Jade. We also really like the promenade concept on the 'away' class and like dining and visiting bars outside. I feel that MSC really could have capitalized on this with Seaside design and missed a great opportunity. IMO, just Like MSC, NCL is a budget line. Matching expectations to price paid is more likely to ensure a good time had by all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrsMettin said:

Any thoughts on the repositioning itinerary??

 

https://mscfans.blog/2019/09/07/msc-armonia-new-2020-2021-winter-season-homeport/

 

 

I didn't see the exact itinerary, but the dates work nicely for a re-positioning. You probably know this, but re-positioning cruises into the USA have some glitches with customs at the embarkation port but if you can get past that, these cruises are RIPE for last minute discounts. My advice is if you like this itinerary, purchase your air now and keep an eye on inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I didn't see the exact itinerary, but the dates work nicely for a re-positioning. You probably know this, but re-positioning cruises into the USA have some glitches with customs at the embarkation port but if you can get past that, these cruises are RIPE for last minute discounts. My advice is if you like this itinerary, purchase your air now and keep an eye on inventory.

Interesting, no- I had no clue.  Guess that is why my TA thinks they will just dead-end the ship.  No itineraries have been released- just wishful thinking as I'm a 45 minute drive from Tampa & a 30 minute flight from Miami!

Edited by TheMettins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I'm interested in purchasing your Cruisenext. When do they expire?

 

NCL, like ALL cruise lines, have positive and negatives. I don't necessarily go with "only drunks" as I really don't drink that much and still enjoy NCL when it's priced right given the itinerary. NCL offered us a FABULOUS cruise through Norway on the Jade. We also really like the promenade concept on the 'away' class and like dining and visiting bars outside. I feel that MSC really could have capitalized on this with Seaside design and missed a great opportunity. IMO, just Like MSC, NCL is a budget line. Matching expectations to price paid is more likely to ensure a good time had by all.

 

 

IMO I feel the exact opposite about the waterfront concept. I feel that MSC did it right, and that NCL frigged it up on the BA Class by making it too busy and crowded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

IMO I feel the exact opposite about the waterfront concept. I feel that MSC did it right, and that NCL frigged it up on the BA Class by making it too busy and crowded. 

I think MSC could improve their waterfront by opening it up more to the bars and lounges.  A little bit more shade and seating would be great.  The spa needs to give up the starboard half of what they now hold.  Back at the buffet is utilized pretty well. 

 

But I can't imagine how crowded the waterfront will be on the refitted BA class ships with expanded Vibe and especially on Encore.  No Spice H20 combined with expanded Haven and Vibe private areas, a go cart track and laser tag all taking up most of the top decks.  Those are ships that would take some deep discounting for me to ever consider.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Até said:

I think MSC could improve their waterfront by opening it up more to the bars and lounges.  A little bit more shade and seating would be great.  The spa needs to give up the starboard half of what they now hold.  Back at the buffet is utilized pretty well. 

 

But I can't imagine how crowded the waterfront will be on the refitted BA class ships with expanded Vibe and especially on Encore.  No Spice H20 combined with expanded Haven and Vibe private areas, a go cart track and laser tag all taking up most of the top decks.  Those are ships that would take some deep discounting for me to ever consider.

 

 

I would not even consider a BA+ ship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not familiar with the large NCL ships, but Carnival's latest trio (Vista, Horizon and Panorama) have a good bit of outdoor seating with access to lounges and some dining areas.  I sailed Vista on the inaugural from Trieste, Italy, and other than a couple of port days in Greece and Malta, it was cool and damp.  Plus, we only had a couple of sea days.  Then, on the Horizon TA (Barcelona-NY), it was too cool to get much enjoyment out there.  I like the concept, though.  Places to sit outside that aren't pool loungers; some under cover, some exposed.  Of course, when the weather doesn't allow for use, then more pax are forced inside and since space has been allocated to outdoor seating, that means less inside for all those people trying to escape the cold or rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UPNYGuy said:

I would not even consider a BA+ ship 

Well, the Haven on Bliss, Joy & Encore look nice, I just can't afford them anymore.  Additionally, other than the specialty restaurants and a couple shows I really don't think I want to be in the rest of the public areas of the ship so would feel confined to the Haven.

 

Getting back on topic, does anyone know if Armonia was going to be refurbished at the Grand Bahamas shipyard?  I've read starting with the Oasis problem then now Dorian there may be trouble.  I also read there will be worker problems because so many have left because of housing destruction.  Does getting back on track by mid November seem plausible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why are so many of you enthusiastic about the news that MSC Armonia is going to be based in Tampa?  MSC Aromina is one of MSC's oldest vessels having being acquired when her previous owner Festival Cruises went out of business.  What is it about this vessel that would cause me to consider making a booking on her?  (And, I would like to have the experience of sailing from the Port of Tampa.)

My  wife and I were just on the Armonia and had a great time. Great staff very enjoyable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched a video this morning, giving the news that Armonia is coming to Tampa in November of 2020. We already have a 4 day cruise booked out of Ft. Lauderdale for November 2020, but I wanted to see if they have 2021 bookings for Armonia available, and they do.

 

We were getting ready to book Meraviglia just to be able to experience MSC's new private island, but really didn't want to do another 7 day on MSC for now, since we had a good experience on Divina, but a bad experience on Seaside.

 

So, when I found a 4 day on Armonia out of Tampa (which is only a 1 hour drive from us), it works out great. Going to Key West, and the new private island, out of a port that is close to home, on a ship that we've never been on, is the perfect opportunity.

 

Looks like Tampa is going to be full of ships in 2020. Not 100% sure, but looks like Celebrity Constellation, HAL Veendam, Norwegian Jade, are alsol coming to Tampa in November of 2020. Carnival Legend, Carnival Paradise, Rhapsody of the Seas, and Brilliance of the Seas is going to already be there, so it looks like cruise-filled days for Tampa. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I didn't see the exact itinerary, but the dates work nicely for a re-positioning. You probably know this, but re-positioning cruises into the USA have some glitches with customs at the embarkation port but if you can get past that, these cruises are RIPE for last minute discounts. My advice is if you like this itinerary, purchase your air now and keep an eye on inventory.

Attached is the actual itinerary for repositioning cruise.

9CCD733C-14FE-4919-848D-C90F801D59DC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, codiejoe said:

Attached is the actual itinerary for repositioning cruise.

9CCD733C-14FE-4919-848D-C90F801D59DC.jpeg

 

Thank you for this clarification. For some reason I thought of a 'repositioning cruise' as coming from Europe since she is due for a dry dock and no one can drydock in the bahamas for a few years. If the repo is simply from Miami to Tampa, my comment about longer customs is not valid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

When is the repo cruise?

Departs Miami on November 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

When/where is the next refurbishment?

For some reason MSC keeps very quiet about refurbs.  Armonia has a gap in her schedule from mid Nov to Early Dec this year.  It is doing Western Caribbean itineraries before and after so suspect it was going to be at the Grand Bahamas shipyard, but I haven't found any definitive information.  Move to Tampa is November 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

Thank you for this clarification. For some reason I thought of a 'repositioning cruise' as coming from Europe since she is due for a dry dock and no one can drydock in the bahamas for a few years. If the repo is simply from Miami to Tampa, my comment about longer customs is not valid. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21511-grand-bahama-shipyard-open-for-business-2.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

 

Things sure do change fast! Here are several articles stating the shipyard would take years to reopen dated just two days prior to the article you supplied, from the same source! lol

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21495-cruise-lines-could-face-major-drydock-challenge-following-hurricane-damage.html

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, codiejoe said:

Attached is the actual itinerary for repositioning cruise.

9CCD733C-14FE-4919-848D-C90F801D59DC.jpeg

Thank you, I noticed the itineraries were released yesterday morning.  I'm in the process of booking, but finding a TA w/ group space has been harder than I thought!  Wondering if pricing will come down :classic_rolleyes:

Pricing for other lines in Tampa has always been steady, which surprised me- I know we have a large retirement community here in Tampa and surrounding areas, so my guess is it will sell fast once the word gets out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...