2 Questions re. aft facing penthouse on Escape

mafig

Which deck is most desirabek  on Escape for the aft facing Penthouse?  Balcony size, privacy?

Also, the difference in price between the aft facing penthouse and the forward facing penthouse is $300 per person.  Worth it, in your opinion?

This will be our first time in a Haven, although we did do suites on NCL in the past, but not in Haven.  

We're kind of lost, so need your expertise here.😰

Privacy is about the same for all. The majority of the balcony is covered and you only have neighbors on one side.

Deck 9 is the largest Configuration A balcony followed by deck 12.

Both Configuration B balconies are about the same size.

IMO, it is worth the cost difference.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

1 minute ago, Smileonboard said:

We stayed in a forward facing on the Escape and it was nice - we also stayed on the Getaway in Aft facing on deck 9 and it was incredible ! 

Deck 9 on Escape isn't as large/deep as deck 9 on Getaway. I'd hate for someone to look at pictures/video of BA/GA deck 9 and expect Escape to be the same.

14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Privacy is about the same for all. The majority of the balcony is covered and you only have neighbors on one side.

Deck 9 is the largest Configuration A balcony followed by deck 12.

Both Configuration B balconies are about the same size.

IMO, it is worth the cost difference.

Thank you.  Sorry but I don't understand what Configuration A and Configuration B balconies mean. ???

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

Sorry but I don't understand what Configuration A and Configuration B balconies mean. ???

For the aft-facing suites, Configuration A vs Configuration B refers to the setup of the master bathroom/bedroom half of the stateroom. The living room/small bathroom half is the same for all except for port vs starboard mirror image. 

Think of the other half of the room as "big square and small rectangle". The big square is near the balcony. 

For Configuration A, the bedroom is bigger and the master bathroom is smaller. 

For Configuration B, the master bathroom is bigger and the bedroom is smaller. 

Whatever is smaller doesn't have natural light nor a view outside. 

Configuration A also has a 2nd door to the balcony while Configuration B does not. 

20 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Deck 9 on Escape isn't as large/deep as deck 9 on Getaway. I'd hate for someone to look at pictures/video of BA/GA deck 9 and expect Escape to be the same.

However, Deck 9 is the largest balcony, isn't it?  I found a previous post of yours where you put the order (largest to smallest) as 9, 12, 15, 14, 11, 10, 13.

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

However, Deck 9 is the largest balcony, isn't it?  I found a previous post of yours where you put the order (largest to smallest) as 9, 12, 15, 14, 11, 10, 13.

Yes. Deck 9 is the deepest on either class but for the BA ships vs the BA Plus ships, the deck 9 on Breakaway/Getaway is larger than the deck 9 on Escape, Joy, Bliss, & Encore. 

If you are concerned with Balcony size, then the FPH is a different situation entirely due to its small/very small size and its enclosed atmosphere due to the structure of the ship being and integral part of where this cabin category fits into the frame. 

It's night and day after the balcony doors. The interior is sweet either way. 

Except of course for the bathroom on certain decks on the aft cabins that face the sea where you can soak on a tub or take a shower and leave the sea gaze behind you. There are only two decks with this configuration, deck 14 is one of them in Escape, I will check for you what the other one is.... 

Edited by MizDemeanor

I have read that the forward facing penthouse balcony is small/very small.

Just how "small/very small" is it?  We always say we love a large balcony, but truth be told, sometimes we don't use them as much as we think we will.

How does it compare to the suites that are in the Haven (H5).  I saw a video of one of them and those balconies looked pretty small.  Are they smaller than that?

🌞

16 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

If you are concerned with Balcony size, then the FPH is a different situation entirely due to its small/very small size and its enclosed atmosphere due to the structure of the ship being and integral part of where this cabin category fits into the frame. 

It's night and day after the balcony doors. The interior is sweet either way. 

Except of course for the bathroom on certain decks on the aft cabins that face the sea where you can soak on a tub or take a shower and leave the sea gaze behind you. There are only two decks with this configuration, deck 14 is one of them in Escape, I will check for you what the other one is.... 

The other major difference between the front and aft penthouse is the Aft penthouse has a 2nd bathroom.  Which is a great thing to have if you have a 3rd or 4th.

30 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

Decks 11 and 14 are Configuration B for Escape, Joy, Bliss and Encore. 

MizD, Thank you, very helpful.👍

rrebel94, there's only two of us.  When I watch the videos of the aft penthouse and they focus on the pull-out sofa, the extra bathroom and all that storage, I wonder if we need all that space.  

So here is a video I sent to my kids of the Forward on Getaway...its not a great video but it will illustrate. ( Note that the Coffee machine is not the same on Esacpe) And for example we were going to the Carribean and not Bermuda in that Forward, for example, where in Bermdua we are docked and can really enjoy long naps and leisurely dining on the balcony. Its hardly possible on the Forwards so if extended lounging on the baclony matters rather than sitting in a chair with legs crossed.... Mind that some structural impediments are worse than this so you really have to research the forward deck locations.

If prices were even Id take the Aft, if prices were minimally diiffednt I'd take the Aft. If pricing was materially different, I'd take the Forward and would enjoy it to no end becuse the cabin is great and I am still in The Haven.

Edited by MizDemeanor

23 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

If prices were even Id take the Aft, if prices were minimally diiffednt I'd take the Aft. If pricing was materially different, I'd take the Forward and would enjoy it to no end becuse the cabin is great and I am still in The Haven.

The difference is $300 per person.  Not minimally different, but not max either, I guess.

Edited by mafig

Just an FYI, I was on NCL pricing Aft Penthouses and one cruise had decks 9&12 at 20$ more than the others! They have capitalized on even this difference. They are too much. Business is business. I’d easily pay the 20$ though!

I have stayed with 4 of us in a FWD and several Afts on BA GA and ES. I would take an Aft over FWD all day long, however the distance from the Haven is significant if you like to spend time there, and in all 3 of our Aft stays, the service from the Butler was not as good as being in the Haven, same with our FWD. Just food for thought and YMMV. 4 of us in the FWD (two older teens) was tough with the bathroom. You have to go through the bedroom to get to it. The second bath in Aft is great for just that reason. Balcony on FWD is same as a regular balcony with a triangle of obstruction upper left (look at ship photos). We love the B setup of the Aft with the beautiful bathroom overlooking the patio and aft view. Same as the 2 bedroom and its probably the most beautiful bathroom at sea. 

Hope that all helps someone. 

50 minutes ago, mafig said:

When are you sailing? is this sail on the Escape? Is it in the spring? If so save the $$$ and the Fwd is more than enough cabin for two of you, just be sure to research the best one of the category since there do differ, Id say stay away from lower deck cabins that are in target range of common area walkways out to bow deck and really make one feel like they are in an encompassing obstructed cabin on a couple of sides, not just one. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

Thank you again everyone.  

I may just do some research on the courtyard penthouses (since they're the same price as the forward penthouse).

We were in the Yacht Club and enjoyed being close to the restaurant and pool on Seaside, while on Divina the suite restaurant is on the other side of the ship and it was a pain walking the length of the ship (especially for dinner when it seemed like the rest of the ship was walking in the opposite direction☹️).

If it's not too much to ask, which deck is preferred for the courtyard penthouse, 17 or 18 on Escape.