Jump to content

Rome cabs and booking Rome cabs


Recommended Posts

I just booked transfers thinking both companieswere the same ones .i dealt within the past ..stefano.s company .But the booking one is a fake company using their name and logo ...wow 

so now I.m not sure they are legit or even exist ...they did not request  prepayment ...wow .Anyone else fall for this scam or is it a real scam .rome cabs  were  going to charge me double ..120€ per transfer ...not cheap compared to 65€ With booking rome cabs 

how can someone just steal a name and open a website ???

now i.m really confused ..I dont want 2 drivers to show up or none ...hmmmm

what should I do ???

 

mich 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what  is odd they did not request a c c orprepayment ...Stefanos office  wrote to me to tell me my reservation was notwith them but some bogus company using  their name . however his prices have tripled from last year ....ifeel like switching companies all together  ...could someone recommend another one ..I think 120€ per transfer is  outrageous...help please 

has anyone used booking rome cabs ...are they legit

Link to post
Share on other sites

Minoushka, I'm not sure I understand your complaint about Rome Cabs price. As long as I've been on these boards, they and other so-called 'premium' services have charged around 120-150 euro per couple for a transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia. Is that what you're talking about?

 

Or are you looking for a transfer from the FCO airport into Rome?  (In that case it should be much cheaper, but they may have misunderstood what you want....)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What website did you use?

Stefano's Rome Cabs has a website romecabs.com?  For a transfer from hotel or FCO airport to Civitavecchia the price for a private transfer for 2 is 130 euro.  It has been this price for quite a while.  If you have a larger group the price is less per person.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices have tripled? No way. I've seen the same prices as cruisemom42 for the past few years now.

Are you going to Rome city center or port? 65€ sounds more like a shared transfer price to Civitavecchia.

Edited by cruisinsc1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The post sounds very confusion and did not know there is a bogus company out there.

I have used RomeCabs several times in the past and again will be using them for up coming cruise in November.  Their price for a private service. 

  • 50 € for transfer from airport to Rome or reverse.
  • 130 € for transfer from Rome to the pier or reserve
  • 130 € for transfer from airport to the pier or reserve.

RomeCabs does not have SHARE TRANSFER.  Yes, you can pay for the service cash to the driver at the end of the trip.

If you did not pay for your transfer yet, can you cancel that one and re-reserve to the right one?. Just a thought

Good luck

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChattTenn said:

RomeCabs does not have SHARE TRANSFER.  Yes, you can pay for the service cash to the driver at the end of the trip.

If you did not pay for your transfer yet, can you cancel that one and re-reserve to the right one?. Just a thought

Good luck

 

As far as I remember Rome Cabs does not take credit card pre-payment and does not even ask for a deposit.  They only ask for a credit card number as a guarantee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:35 AM, Minoushka said:

I just booked transfers thinking both companieswere the same ones .i dealt within the past ..stefano.s company .But the booking one is a fake company using their name and logo ...wow 

so now I.m not sure they are legit or even exist ...they did not request  prepayment ...wow .Anyone else fall for this scam or is it a real scam .rome cabs  were  going to charge me double ..120€ per transfer ...not cheap compared to 65€ With booking rome cabs 

how can someone just steal a name and open a website ???

now i.m really confused ..I dont want 2 drivers to show up or none ...hmmmm

what should I do ???

 

mich 

Hi Michele,

 

We met on 2017 TA Rome to Miami. It was a nice cruise and I would like to thank you for the upfront work you put in to organize and support activities for so many of us.

 

As for the RomeCabsBooking, they are indeed legitimate. We used them in 2017 to book 3 separate transfers between Airport and Rome, then to Port from Rome hotels. All were perfectly executed. In fact my mother in law left a sweater in cab from airport and when we called they arranged for it to be left with port security the morning of our departure. Could not have asked for better service.

 

Keep cruising! I know Susan and I are! Next up Mexican Riviera in December on the NCL Joy....

 

GranpaEd

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again 

 

i found out they sort of borrowed the other company.s name .Apparently this is common in Italy ..as laws are a lttle slackinthat area ...who knew .

as long as they show up ..do my transfer ..at good price ..half really .I.m happy 

thanks for reassurance ...enjoy your cruise

i.m on med then transat cruise ..to me those are the real vacations 

thanks for your input 

 

mich

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also will need a transfer from more or less centrally located hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia. As far as I understand from this topic the cost of a private transfer for two is 130 euro. The cost of a shared transfer is 65 euro. So for two of us it will be the same price. My question is shall  we book it in advance? I actually planned to book it upon arrival. Will it be really cheaper if we book our transfer a week ahead? Thanks, Jess

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, Minoushka said:

Hi again 

 

i found out they sort of borrowed the other company.s name .Apparently this is common in Italy ..as laws are a lttle slackinthat area ...who knew .

as long as they show up ..do my transfer ..at good price ..half really .I.m happy 

thanks for reassurance ...enjoy your cruise

i.m on med then transat cruise ..to me those are the real vacations 

thanks for your input 

 

mich

 

Always wise to be careful when making online bookings as bad actors scamming off of the good names of reliable businesses is not uncommon, especially when it comes to folks looking for savings on popular services. It happens often and easily by doing something as simple as inserting a period (Cruise.Critic) or something else one may not (they hope!) notice in the URL (aka the web address) that will lead you to them where at best, you receive fair to subpar, but definitely NOT the optimum service you've been recommended or worse, completely ripped off with a charge to your credit card and no service at all. 

 

As has been suggested here, when paying with a credit card, the issuer will pursue fraudulent charges and refund the amount charged to your card. Another thing to look out for when purchasing services or goods online is a small little lock symbol just to the left of the internet address (aka URL) which would indicate that the company website is safe and, more importantly, reputable but...this is not to say a company in Italy or elsewhere without the lock symbol is disreputable - many reputable international sites do not have the lock, but it might help you to to detect a counterfeit merchant from the bonafide original, if there are two that seem identical, as in this case. International websites that we trust do not always have the lock.

 

Again, there are many reliable websites we trust and visit without the lock . For example, museivaticani.va is safe even though there is no lock to the left of the web address. If you look in your browser window while visiting Cruise Critic, as an example, you'll see the lock ahead of boards.cruisecritic.com/..... indicating that the website is secure although you're generally not submitting your financial info here. 🙂

 

If you're ever unsure, you can always inquire here as to the reputation/member experience with company, and/or email someone on the website before you buy, if you feel unsure.

 

More than anything, trust your instinct and don't ever feel pressured. Any company with a great reputation and excellent service will not pressure you or lean hard...it's just not good for business. Reputation is better than anything. 

 

Let us know how it works out and hopefully all will be well. 

Edited by Host Bonjour
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, LisaSp said:

We had a great experience with romecabtransfer.com from FCO to port and from port to Rome!

This Romecabtransfer is different than RomeCabs that most of us have been used or recommended on this board.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Very useful background information!

 

I just booked with https://www.romecabs.com/ Romecabs seeing all the great reviews here and on Tripadvisor.  

 

One question though - and I am not trying to stir up any waves (no pun intended) - on the email I received from Romecabs, under the heading "PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION" the first bullet point is the following, with the NOT capitalized:  "Transfer price does NOT include Gratuities."  I was under the impression that gratuities are not generally expected in this situation?  

 

And while on the topic of gratuities, we will be taking a private car to Pompeii as well.  Would the driver be expecting gratuities?  If we have a guide -is the answer the same?

 

Thanks again -  I know this can potentially be a sensitive topic - all I want to do is make sure I follow the expected customs and so any insight into this is greatly appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheOneandOnlyWileCoyote said:

Very useful background information!

 

I just booked with https://www.romecabs.com/ Romecabs seeing all the great reviews here and on Tripadvisor.  

 

One question though - and I am not trying to stir up any waves (no pun intended) - on the email I received from Romecabs, under the heading "PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION" the first bullet point is the following, with the NOT capitalized:  "Transfer price does NOT include Gratuities."  I was under the impression that gratuities are not generally expected in this situation?  

 

And while on the topic of gratuities, we will be taking a private car to Pompeii as well.  Would the driver be expecting gratuities?  If we have a guide -is the answer the same?

 

Thanks again -  I know this can potentially be a sensitive topic - all I want to do is make sure I follow the expected customs and so any insight into this is greatly appreciated!

 

I would suggest an attentive read-through of this pinned thread near the top of this forum that should provide a good understanding of what is expected in Italy with regard to tipping. Unfortunately there are some companies that tout mainly to US tourists and they have learned to expect overly generous tips in contradiction to what is customary.

 

At the end of the day it is your decision, but I prefer to abide by what is the custom of the country in which I'm traveling, rather than bringing my own customs with me (which may not be welcomed by all).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  Totally agree that I want to follow the customs of the countries that I am visiting.  I did read the thread but since this is a thread about RomeCabs I thought I would see if someone has some first-hand insight with this company's perspective on gratuities.  Usually when I see language like this, it sounds like the company is expecting gratuities.  I think the tipping thread mentioned that the companies probably would probably only mention gratuities on their English page and not their Italian page; however, I wasn't able to find RomeCabs Italian website.  Thanks again and if anyone has used RomeCabs would love to hear your experience.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 11:37 PM, TheOneandOnlyWileCoyote said:

however, I wasn't able to find RomeCabs Italian website. 

 

If it were me, and I were trying to differentiate, that phrase would give me the answer straight away. I went to double check, and I couldn't find an Italian site either; typically by clicking on a national flag, one may switch over to the language of another country, be it French, German, Italian, English, Chinese, Russian etc. or, a browser lands on the page in its original language and immediately translates it, and so my guess would be there definitely is no Italian page. It exists for visitors who do not speak Italian.

 

In other words, probably Americans and other visitors living in countries that are accustomed to paying gratuities in addition to all the other fees already added to the charge one is paying for the service. Is it wrong? I don't think so. It's business, profiting from something that has crossed borders. Why not keep it going, even if it isn't in keeping with traditional cultural norms and employees are getting paid normal wages for the jobs they do and the government collects the significant VAT? Everyone gets paid, and then some!

 

The websites and businesses are clever, but not in the most noble way, of capitalizing on something that is happening anyway. Why would they try to stop people from handing over free money? They don't boldly state that tips or gratuities are expected or necessary, as when actually paying for the cruise, there's no opting out of them. On this website in question, it's clear they are not mandatory. There is no tipping in Italy other than the rounding up, if one was so inclined, at best

 

If there was an Italian version of the website, I'd be shocked to see any reference to tipping or gratuities; I don't recall learning a word for that in Italian which doesn't mean a phrase couldn't be created but I think, and some of our Italo-philes may concur, that it's difficult to translate something that...doesn't translate. Hence our tipping thread and ongoing discussions.

 

And you haven't fanned any flames or poked any bear or lions, it's a valid question, not made easier by this website. It's exactly the kind of question you're meant to ask and maybe we can help everyone to be comfortable and believe, gradually, that it's ok to do what's expected in Italy (of Italians, not visitors), and be able to return again. No need to pay extra...unless of course it's for a better room, dinner, tour etc. But the price is the price, that's it. 

 

It's all part of traveling and the experiences of doing things differently: it's not always comfortable at first but it's usually not a big deal either, it's simply different. Simply a hurdle to jump over and then...ahh, you're on the other side.  😎

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, we used Stefano’s Rome Cabs, and they do accept pre-payments via PayPal. I paid for all of our transfers in advance. One less thing to worry about, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, TheOneandOnlyWileCoyote said:

Thanks.  Totally agree that I want to follow the customs of the countries that I am visiting.  I did read the thread but since this is a thread about RomeCabs I thought I would see if someone has some first-hand insight with this company's perspective on gratuities.  Usually when I see language like this, it sounds like the company is expecting gratuities.  I think the tipping thread mentioned that the companies probably would probably only mention gratuities on their English page and not their Italian page; however, I wasn't able to find RomeCabs Italian website.  Thanks again and if anyone has used RomeCabs would love to hear your experience.     

We have always used Stefano's Romecabs  when transferring from FCO to Rome, Rome to port, port to Rome and Rome back to FCO.  We have always tipped the driver around 10 euros. The drivers have always been very helpful.  When meeting at the airport they have always grabbed our luggage cart when escorting us to their car.  And when arriving at the hotel they make sure our luggage gets into the hotel.  We don't travel light, so we really appreciate the help.   And one driver went the extra mile and hunted down a luggage cart for us at the airport when there weren't any nearby. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just now I actually found some reference to gratuities on the Romecabs web site itself. This pertains not to transfers but hiring a driver for a Pompeii tour.  https://www.romecabs.com/tours/pompei-and-amalfi-coast-tour/. In the middle of the page I found the following which seems to contradict what I have read here and in the other referenced thread. At the end of the day, I want to do what is customary in the country we visit. If it means paying a gratuity that is okay. But now I am very confused.    Just wondering if someone has some additional thoughts.. 

"If you are pleased with the service you receive from your driver, 10-15% gratuity is customary in Italy."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JazzyJazzing said:

Just now I actually found some reference to gratuities on the Romecabs web site itself. This pertains not to transfers but hiring a driver for a Pompeii tour.  https://www.romecabs.com/tours/pompei-and-amalfi-coast-tour/. In the middle of the page I found the following which seems to contradict what I have read here and in the other referenced thread. At the end of the day, I want to do what is customary in the country we visit. If it means paying a gratuity that is okay. But now I am very confused.    Just wondering if someone has some additional thoughts.. 

"If you are pleased with the service you receive from your driver, 10-15% gratuity is customary in Italy."

 

 

 

10-15% gratuity is NOT customary in Italy; this can be validated in many places where recommendations for gratuity are published. 

 

I travel in Italy usually 2-3 times a year and in the US I also have several good friends from Italy. They concur that a gratuity should not be "expected" and if given at all should really be a token to reflect your satisfaction and happiness. 

 

This has been discussed in the past with regard to another tour company; the bald fact is that they likely use the possibility of higher tips as a drawing card to attract drivers to work with them. However, to state that it is customary is really unconscionable.

 

Edited to add: Here are a couple of quotes I looked up on the Rick Steves travel forum, from Italian posters responding to such as question about whether gratuities are "required":

 

  • "An italian wouldn't tip at all and drivers do not expect tips from Italians. A private driver's job is driving and helping with bags: the idea of paying more for something that's always been included is quite ridiculous for italians. Americans have been tipping for ages and now drivers expect you to keep on tipping. If being on the wrong side of double standard pricing doesn't bother you, keep on tipping. I'm sure the driver won't complain and the number of italians using private drivers is small anyway. Once you know you don't have to, you can decide by yourself."

 

  • "You don't need to tip for this type of service or for anything when in Italy. It's not a tipping culture. If you're out to dinner and want to "round up" the bill that's one thing but "tipping" as is done in North America isn't necessary. You won't see Italians giving the driver anything beyond the agreed to fee."
Edited by cruisemom42
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Cruisemom42!  What you described was what my research suggested.  I was just taken back because Romecabs has such a great reputation amongst the travel community and their website was stating without any qualification that a 10-15% gratuity is "customary".  I would have thought they would care about their reputation more...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...