Cruise Critic Community
JoeFan

HOTS UDP & Drink package review

We just got back from the 8/25 extended HOTS cruise. 

We had the UDP and Deluxe and refreshment drink packages.

I will go over a couple of our experiences.

We have no prior experience with specialty on RCI, so we have nothing to compare it to. Some nights the steak was better than others. But overall, it was very good food at all. 

There were guests complaining at Chops on several different occasions. 

We went to the Windjammer twice an hopefully never to go back. Just to experience it. You have to circuit forever to find a table and when you do the food is horrible.

We stayed on deck 8 and it was perfect walk to the restaurants and back and park cafe in the morning for a bite.

Multiple Entrees

We never requested nor desired a second. In fact towards the end of the cruise we had so many visits to all the places we started getting 2 entrees between the 3 of us. It was so much food. At Jamie's our server on our embarkation lunch just kept bringing food to the table, we had to tell her to stop.

One sea day we stopped at Sabor and got drinks, chips and gauc, some empanadas  and desserts.

Shakes at JR without dining.

With the refreshment package this was no problem. They often had a line of people getting shakes. So not sure if they will cut this off at some point.

One day after an excursion we had some time before our dinner and we stopped in for just fries and shakes. So she just put them in to go cups.

Hibachi & getting sushi before hibachi

Everything I read say you could get two proteins, but they didn't budge. They up-charged us $4.

The second time we went we had the late seating and we showed up early. We went to the sushi bar first and had some nigiri, then onto the hibach with no extra charge. I am sure if we ate it at the hibachi table we would have gotten a bill. We only got one protein that night and skipped the rice. Thinking of rice. I remember some thread saying that they didn't get enough rice. Well both nights at the 3 tables, they gave everyone a bowl of rice and made plenty for seconds. They took away a full plate of rice away uneaten at every table. So there is plenty of fried rice.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by JoeFan

Thank you for your review! We have UDP and deluxe drink plan for our October Harmony cruise. Did you have any problems getting the reservations you wanted; did you make them all on Day 1 and where? Also, happy to see you could use it at JRs - maybe a daft question but can you remember what time you went after your excursion as I can see us going after being at the beach at St Maarten but it wouldn’t probably by “dinner” time by then.

Wendy

Not that we will eat at the WJ, but I am curious what was it about the food you did not like? 

We were on Harmony last week (the shortened sailing Thu - Sun) and also had the Unlimited Dining Plan. 

We we were able to make reservations while sitting in the boarding waiting area prior to getting in the ship. They had a table set up for dining reservations. This helped us save time once we were onboard. 

We ate at Chops, Izumi Hibachi, 150 Central Park, and Wonderland. All great meals. 

Izumi was the same for us... one meat/protein included and $4 upcharge for two. 

We we really liked the fried cheesecake dessert at 150 Central Park so we did a reservation later one night to go back just for dessert (after dinner at Izumi). No problem making 2 reservations for the same night. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sea Dog said:

Not that we will eat at the WJ, but I am curious what was it about the food you did not like? 

I will share what we don’t like about Windjammer. I never will go there now after witnessing a few unsanitary concerns. The last time I ate there a child was licking his fingers and then using the serving utensil to get his food. Another child dropped a spatula on the floor, picked it up, returned it into the food. I decided the risk / odds of getting sick were too high eating there. 

Better places to eat every meal without as much contamination risk. 

1 hour ago, thrifty99 said:

I will share what we don’t like about Windjammer. I never will go there now after witnessing a few unsanitary concerns. The last time I ate there a child was licking his fingers and then using the serving utensil to get his food. Another child dropped a spatula on the floor, picked it up, returned it into the food. I decided the risk / odds of getting sick were too high eating there. 

Yea, if you just sit and watch, take a look at how many (sick) people are coughing and sneezing right into their hand and then grabbing the serving spoons. The most vile, bacteria ridden spot on the entire ship is right there on the handle of that serving spoon. We don't go into the Windjammer, anymore.

Thanks for your report on your experience with the UDP. We have always chosen to eat in the specialty restaurants and have bought the UDP for our upcoming cruise on Allure in October. I have been reading a lot about the inconsistencies with what the UDP is and how it is being handled on various ships. It seems to be all over the place on how it is being interpreted on each ship. 

I have sent an email to customer service asking the question regarding up-charges (Hibachi) and charges for requesting a second entrees and what restaurants are included......and in general the inconsistency in the UDP and description and how it is being carried out. Hibachi is supposed to be included but we were specifically told there would be a $10 charge for each of us. It’s not that we wouldn’t pay it, the problem I have is with their description of the UDP and appearing to be inaccurate in how it is carried out. 

I’m interested to see what my response will be.....

Thanks again for telling your experience with it!

2 hours ago, thrifty99 said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Good advise. I could never understand why a parent would let their children go to the serving area unattended.