Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
coffeebean

Has Royal banned smoking in casinos on all ships?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, ocav said:

 

Bit sad, but okay. 

 

 

Why is that sad? If the smoker you quoted moves away from a line you enjoy, that's one fewer smoker you'd have to deal with. Maybe I missed something.

 

It would be nice if there were lines (or at least ships) which catered to smokers and others which catered to non-smokers. Then smokers and those who don't mind smoke could have smoke throughout the ship and those who don't like to be around smoke could have a smoke-free experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the CDC, in 2017 only 14% of Americans smoke cigarettes.  Easily confirmed on their website.  Why does anyone, any company, any cruise line cater to 14% of the public while ignoring the preference of 86% ?  Doesn't seem like a great marketing decision to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scooter6251 said:

According to the CDC, in 2017 only 14% of Americans smoke cigarettes.  Easily confirmed on their website.  Why does anyone, any company, any cruise line cater to 14% of the public while ignoring the preference of 86% ?  Doesn't seem like a great marketing decision to me.

My understanding is that it's because smokers tend, on average, to drink more and gamble more than non-smokers. Alcohol and gambling are huge profit centers. 

 

I don't have a specific citation for this, it's just knowledge I've gained over years. 

 

I think experience bears this out: it certainly seems that more than 14% of the people in casinos which allow smoking are doing so, often with a drink. Yes, I know that drinks are often copped in casinos, to help lower judgement and reaction time. 

Edited by MamaFej
Hit post too soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

My understanding is that it's because smokers tend, on average, to drink more and gamble more than non-smokers. Alcohol and gambling are huge profit centers. 

 

I don't have a specific citation for this, it's just knowledge I've gained over years. 

 

I agree with you, I've heard that rationale too.  I guess it's just a combination I can't wrap my little brain around. 

Edited by scooter6251

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

My understanding is that it's because smokers tend, on average, to drink more and gamble more than non-smokers. Alcohol and gambling are huge profit centers. 

This is an argument smokers have stated for years. Like you with no data to back it up. I’d say 20 years ago it was probably true. Times have changed. Celebrity Casinos seem to do just fine. My argument would be perhaps non-smokers don’t spend as much time & money in the casino because of the smoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scooter6251 said:

According to the CDC, in 2017 only 14% of Americans smoke cigarettes.  Easily confirmed on their website.  Why does anyone, any company, any cruise line cater to 14% of the public while ignoring the preference of 86% ?  Doesn't seem like a great marketing decision to me.

 

Totally banning indoor smoking on the ship would be difficult because a much higher percentage of the crew smoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Totally banning indoor smoking on the ship would be difficult because a much higher percentage of the crew smoke. 

Celebrity has banned all indoor smoking for 9 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

 

And that is the reason even with being offered freebie sailings on Celebrity I refuse to sail them. Every NCL new build has less and less places to smoke which is why I have started sailing Royal...If Royal does away with casino smoking....I will move on from them too.

I have a non smoking casino 20 minutes from my house.....yet I take a 2 1/2 hour ride to Atlantic City instead....wanna guess the reason why?

 

Smoking is that important to you?? Unless you are an heir of big tobacco,  there is absolutely no reason to be that dedicated to smoking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kidless said:

We heard smokers say that banning smoking in restaurants & bars would kill business.... but it didn’t. Most smokers will adjust and non smokers will spend more time in casino. Smoke free casinos are coming. Just like smoke free cabins/balconies and all indoor venues have switched to non smoking! 

The sooner, the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Celebrity has banned all indoor smoking for 9 years or so.

 

Good point, so Royal has already dealt with the crew smoking issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Why is that sad? If the smoker you quoted moves away from a line you enjoy, that's one fewer smoker you'd have to deal with. Maybe I missed something.

 

It would be nice if there were lines (or at least ships) which catered to smokers and others which catered to non-smokers. Then smokers and those who don't mind smoke could have smoke throughout the ship and those who don't like to be around smoke could have a smoke-free experience. 

I meant sad that they would drive an additional 2 hours just to go to a casino that they can smoke out, like just seems really silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Why is that sad? If the smoker you quoted moves away from a line you enjoy, that's one fewer smoker you'd have to deal with. Maybe I missed something.

 

It would be nice if there were lines (or at least ships) which catered to smokers and others which catered to non-smokers. Then smokers and those who don't mind smoke could have smoke throughout the ship and those who don't like to be around smoke could have a smoke-free experience. 

I took that "Bit sad" to mean that it's pretty sad a person would abandon an entire cruise line because they can't smoke in one casino AND that it's pretty sad they would drive an hour and a half away just so they can smoke.  That's dedication a/k/a "addiction" to smoking.   I think it is absurd that someone would drive an hour and a half away just so they could smoke in a casino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ocav said:

I meant sad that they would drive an additional 2 hours just to go to a casino that they can smoke out, like just seems really silly.

Really silly is being REALLY NICE.  It's stupid is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Why is that sad? If the smoker you quoted moves away from a line you enjoy, that's one fewer smoker you'd have to deal with. Maybe I missed something.

 

It would be nice if there were lines (or at least ships) which catered to smokers and others which catered to non-smokers. Then smokers and those who don't mind smoke could have smoke throughout the ship and those who don't like to be around smoke could have a smoke-free experience. 

It's not sad they are "threatening" to leave the cruise line.  I think it is absurd, but hey I am thrilled to see them go to be quite honest. 
To the smoker who has abandoned Celebrity and promises to abandon Royal if they implement "no smoking" policies- please abandon the lines with "no smoking policies" with all due haste.  Run, not walk, to another line.  Your absence will NOT be missed. 

Edited by legaljen1969
Post misinterpreted by others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

It's not sad they are "threatening" to leave the cruise line.  I think it is absurd, but hey I am thrilled to see them go to be quite honest.  PLEASE Stay away from the lines on which there is no smoking.  It makes life so much nice for everyone else. 

Are you seriously telling me, a person with chronic lung issues and a strong sensitivity  to all types of smoke, that I should stay away from the lines I prefer because they have no smoking (or in the case of Celebrity, no indoor smoking)? 

 

You quoted my post about  how non-smokers could have a smoke-free experience,  and there being one fewer smoker to deal with if  a smoker leaves by telling me I should go with them? What am I missing here? 

 

I'm used to getting attacked by smokers when I mention that it doesn't make sense for Celebrity to have a smoking area along the walking track where people are trying to stay healthy by exercising, but I'm certainly not used to this sort of attack. Please help me understand your position. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MamaFej said:

Are you seriously telling me, a person with chronic lung issues and a strong sensitivity  to all types of smoke, that I should stay away from the lines I prefer because they have no smoking (or in the case of Celebrity, no indoor smoking)? 

 

You quoted my post about  how non-smokers could have a smoke-free experience,  and there being one fewer smoker to deal with if  a smoker leaves by telling me I should go with them? What am I missing here? 

 

I'm used to getting attacked by smokers when I mention that it doesn't make sense for Celebrity to have a smoking area along the walking track where people are trying to stay healthy by exercising, but I'm certainly not used to this sort of attack. Please help me understand your position. Thanks in advance.

NO, I need to go back and re-read what I wrote.  I meant I hope the smoker who drives an hour and a half just because they "must" have their smokes should and is welcome to abandon all ships and lines that won't let them smoke.  Quite honestly,  they should just quit smoking but since they are bound and determined to commit slow suicide and kill those around them- I would prefer they do it elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ocav said:

I meant sad that they would drive an additional 2 hours just to go to a casino that they can smoke out, like just seems really silly.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand your position now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you for clarifying. I understand your position now.

I'm definitely in the same camp as you.  Smokers be gone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scooter6251 said:

According to the CDC, in 2017 only 14% of Americans smoke cigarettes.  Easily confirmed on their website.  Why does anyone, any company, any cruise line cater to 14% of the public while ignoring the preference of 86% ?  Doesn't seem like a great marketing decision to me.

i would bet that they have studied it and I assume that more non smokers will gamble in a smoky casino then smokers will in a smoke free one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did two different Celebrity ships in August, and the smoke free casinos were wonderful.  Both casinos were busy each night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

My understanding is that it's because smokers tend, on average, to drink more and gamble more than non-smokers. Alcohol and gambling are huge profit centers. 

 

I don't have a specific citation for this, it's just knowledge I've gained over years. 

 

I say Hog Wash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

NO, I need to go back and re-read what I wrote.  I meant I hope the smoker who drives an hour and a half just because they "must" have their smokes should and is welcome to abandon all ships and lines that won't let them smoke.  Quite honestly,  they should just quit smoking but since they are bound and determined to commit slow suicide and kill those around them- I would prefer they do it elsewhere. 

Okay, thanks. The way I read it, it seemed that you were addressing me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned smokers and gambling earlier. I know I have heard and read about the connection many times. A quick google search showed lots of evidence. However this, from the National Council on Problem Gambling website was one of the most concise lists, and includes citations:

GAMBLING AND SMOKING

  • Gamblers have high rates of tobacco use and there is a linear relationship between gambling severity and both smoking frequency and nicotine dependency (Rodda et al. 2004)

  • New Zealand study showed 58% of problem gamblers were daily smokers versus 22% of non-problem gamblers (Ministry of Health 2006)

  • Gamblers who smoked daily gambled more days and spent more money than non-daily smokers. They craved gambling more and had lower perceived control over gambling (Petry & Oricken 2002)

  • 41.6% of heavy gamblers are smokers versus 30.1% of recreation smokers and 21.3% of non smokers (Smith & Ferris, 1996)

  • 62 % of treatment seeking gamblers in Connecticut and 69% in Minnesota smoked (Petry & Oricken 2002, Stinchfield and Winters 1996) as compared to 25% of general population (Reuter et al.. 1990)

  • Smoking is powerful reinforcement for the trance-inducing rituals associated with gambling (Harper,2003)

 

Regardless, it would be nice if the cruise lines would find a way to create environments where non-smokers could be comfortable and still accommodate their smoking clientele. In my dream world, this would be on separate ships, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a Virgin cruise.

 

I do agree with a poster above that non-smokers would likely spend more time in the casinos if they were non-smoking. I've rarely seen a Celebrity casino that wasn't bustling. I avoid the casinos on other ships by traversing on different decks, away from the casinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banning smoking in the casinos and all indoor areas can't come soon enough. More than the gamblers that are smoking, it is all the other smokers who come and use the casino as a smoking lounge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, defiant said:

Just got off the Adventure this morning after a 6 day N.E. cruise.

Most everyone was smoking like chimneys in the casino.  

 

I am currently on the Adventure. Walked through the casino late this morning. We were still in US waters so it was closed. 

 

DOZENS of people sitting there, smoking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...