Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
coffeebean

Has Royal banned smoking in casinos on all ships?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

Revel went into bankruptcy years before the economy crashed and it was 100% due to no smoking. The bankruptcy judge made them go smoking in hopes of pulling them out of bankruptcy. Do your homework before you try making it up as you go along to suit your purpose.

 

 

I do believe that revel opened in 2012 or am i mistaken?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@legaljen1969 You might find this article helpful. It discusses what to do when you mistakenly insult someone.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/18/smarter-living/what-to-do-when-youve-said-the-wrong-thing.html

 

On the other hand, you did intend to insult her. You were just so anxious to write a scathing comment that you didn't bother to make sure your comment was on point about your target. That might need a different article.

Edited by mayleeman
clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, Host Clarea said:

 

Yes, Celebrity has had smoking banned in their ship's casinos for years, and surprisingly they are still doing a good business.

We were on Silhouette last year and were in the casino every evening and  very happy with the no smoking ban.  You sit very close at the tables and I, for one, would not stay if there was a smoker there.  The casino was plenty busy for a 15 day TransAtlantic.

Conversely, we were on Vision for a 12 day Baltic cruise and I have never seen such an empty casino.  Dealers were standing around waiting for guest who never arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, scooter6251 said:

According to the CDC, in 2017 only 14% of Americans smoke cigarettes.  Easily confirmed on their website.  Why does anyone, any company, any cruise line cater to 14% of the public while ignoring the preference of 86% ?  Doesn't seem like a great marketing decision to me.

 

14% of Americans or America Adults? 14% of the US is upwards of 45 million people. You'd also be over-reaching to say all 86% of non-smokers would prefer everything be non-smoking.  I know a lot of non-smokers and former smokers who aren't bothered by smoke.

 

Also, cruise lines aren't just selling to Americans.  They have a world wide clientele, many who come from countries that smoke at a greater rate than those in the US. 

 

I'm a smoker, and try my best to be a respectful smoker while playing with non-smokers at a table. I understand that even being respectful, they're being exposed to my smoke and others.  I don't smoke in my own home. Casinos are one of the few places left where we are able to smoke at will without having to go out in the cold, the rain, the hot sun. It's one of the reasons I enjoy my visits to the casino.

 

If smoking was banned in casinos would I stop going there?  Probably not, but I'd probably go less often and spend less time there.  Even during a visit, I'll spend less time at a machine or be asking for a marker to save my seat at a table while I pop out for a smoke, missing hands, which amounts to lost revenue for the casino.  Also many players get annoyed when people pop in and out of games, messing up the order of the deal, etc. Needing smoke breaks would add to this annoyance. 

 

You can't please everyone all the time.  I'm sure those who allow the smoking have counted the beans and decided that the loosest gamblers are drunks and smokers. Those who've banned it, while still doing well, have probably not seen a huge uptick in non-smokers flocking to their ships. 

 

I guess what I'm saying is that I think people choose to cruise or not cruise on a line based on many factors and whether the casino allows smoking or not is probably not high up in the list. Else you wouldn't have so many non-smokers willing to put up with it and book a smoking ship. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Waterluv said:

I just got off Allure last week if there is No Smoking in the Casino no one knows and it is not enforced. It is thick and terrible. They do have a non smoking side but the room is open so it is similar to when they used to try and separate the bingo parlors the smoke just drifts right on over 🤨 however Celebrity the last 2 sailings most recent was NYE on the Infinity and the Casino Is Smoke Free😊

 

Having a non-smoking section in the casino is like having a non-peeing section in the pool. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I know you are a disgusting person based on your ignorant comments earlier... but in this case how about read her post. She is not a smoker. She was making light that the smoke in the casinos keeps her out of the casino, and the money that would have otherwise been gambled, is saved.

I misread the post.  I am sorry. And I am not a disgusting person. 
I truly need to read more carefully. I was skimming and misread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, island lady said:

 

Huh?  How could my lungs blacken and I wheeze?  I have never smoked a cigarette in my whole life and stay away from smokers.  Don't worry...  RCI gets a whole lot of my nest egg...I just don't contribute extra by gambling.  The choking smoke in the casino makes sure I stay away.  

 

Guess I sure don't understand your comments.  🤨

I misread the comment.  For some reason I thought it said something about smokeless casinos keeping you out.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay since I seem to have insulted everyone by my momentary illiteracy this morning, I guess I will just be forthright with my insults and agreements.

Smoking is bad.   Bottom line. If you smoke,  you are endangering yourself and others.

I hope the casinos go non-smoking soon. I wish the whole world would go non-smoking but that's not going to happen.

 

If smokers didn't impact others, I wouldn't give a rip at all.  However, because they CAN use certain areas of the ship, those of us with pulmonary conditions cannot use those areas and many areas surrounding those areas.   It deprives us of use of many areas of the ship just so people who don't care about themselves or others can enjoy themselves.

Well there are actually plenty of other self-absorbed people who do equally ridiculous things to make others miserable.   I am not saying the smokers are self-absorbed. I just avoid the areas where they are. It's sad that I can't  use those areas but.... 

 

Edited by legaljen1969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justaddvodka68 said:

I'm a smoker, and try my best to be a respectful smoker while playing with non-smokers at a table. I understand that even being respectful, they're being exposed to my smoke and others.  I don't smoke in my own home.

Why don't you smoke in your home?  I'm not asking that in an accusatory manner. You said you don't, so I am wondering why you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Why don't you smoke in your home?  I'm not asking that in an accusatory manner. You said you don't, so I am wondering why you don't.

 

Because I live with non-smokers, including my children and I don't want to expose them to my smoke. And because it makes the house stink.  I'm not immune to the negative side of smoke.  But in a casino, where it's allowed, I feel it's one's choice to be there or not. There are non-smoking choices where I live. You can hop across to the Canadian side, where there are actually bigger, better non-smoking casinos, you can go to Del Lago which is non-smoking.  I go to one that where smoking is allowed, so I smoke and try to minimize annoying others.  But if they're just going to be annoyed in general because the casino stinks . . . well, they chose to come there. 

 

Editing to add:  I understand some ships are poorly designed, like the NCL Epic that allows the smoke to blow into other areas.  That's an unfortunate design flaw. 

 

I did notice separate rooms that are non-smoking at the Hard Rock in Hollywood, FL.  It would totally make more sense for the smokers to be in the room with air-handlers etc.  As noted in this thread already though, that's not good enough for some either, because the smoke leaks when the door is open. 

Edited by Justaddvodka68
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bburk00 said:

I pray Royal bans smoking in the casino. I love to gamble but I'm allergic to smoke 😞

 

Me too.  I love playing the slot machines but I"m asthmatic.  At home we have to drive an hour and a half to get to our casinos so we rarely go.  I look forward to it on our cruises.  I found the ventilation on the non-smoking side of Allure to be pretty good but I can still feel it in my lungs.  It's truly awful on NCL (the ships we've been on).  I can only make it 30 or so minutes in their casinos.  At least some of RCL's ships have a non-smoking side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

That's quite an interesting rationale. Whether you smoke or not, you can certainly save your nest egg by not giving to Royal.   Meanwhile, your nest egg will sit unused when your lungs blacken and you wheeze your last few breaths. But hey, at least you aren't giving your money to Royal and potentially non-smoking casinos. 

Who spends their Nest Egg in the Casino?  I guess since Smokers are considered “reckless “, as posted previously, I can see them over spending. I only bet what I can afford to lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rusty nut said:

Are you serious? Revel opened in Apr. of 2012, right smack dab in the middle of the recession, at the worst possible moment. The Revel, as well as many others were closing their doors because of the recession. Cigarette smoke? really? Perhaps you should do *your* homework.

Haha your funny. You obviously don’t have a clue as to the reason the Revel was closed. That’s ok, I understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

Haha your funny. You obviously don’t have a clue as to the reason the Revel was closed. That’s ok, I understand. 

Quick question...when did revel open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justaddvodka68 said:

 

Because I live with non-smokers, including my children and I don't want to expose them to my smoke. And because it makes the house stink.  I'm not immune to the negative side of smoke.  But in a casino, where it's allowed, I feel it's one's choice to be there or not. There are non-smoking choices where I live. You can hop across to the Canadian side, where there are actually bigger, better non-smoking casinos, you can go to Del Lago which is non-smoking.  I go to one that where smoking is allowed, so I smoke and try to minimize annoying others.  But if they're just going to be annoyed in general because the casino stinks . . . well, they chose to come there. 

 

Editing to add:  I understand some ships are poorly designed, like the NCL Epic that allows the smoke to blow into other areas.  That's an unfortunate design flaw. 

 

I did notice separate rooms that are non-smoking at the Hard Rock in Hollywood, FL.  It would totally make more sense for the smokers to be in the room with air-handlers etc.  As noted in this thread already though, that's not good enough for some either, because the smoke leaks when the door is open. 

So you recognize the unpleasant bits of smoking. You don’t want your house to stink. You don’t want to expose your family to smoke because??? It’s bad for them?  

So you get upset if others smoke around your family and your children? 

I just think it’s interesting that you respect your family enough to not smoke around them but don’t care enough not to expose others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Quick question...when did revel open?

 

It doesn’t matter when...this is what mattered.

 

In its court filings, Revel revealed it plans to drop its nonsmoking policy, joining Atlantic City’s other casinos in allowing patrons to smoke on part of the casino floor.

But allowing patrons to light up is only one of several big changes in the works. Its bankruptcy filing read like a laundry list of mistakes and misfortunes that caused the much-heralded resort to struggle sine the day it opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many of you “smoking smells” people douse themselves with cologne, drive gas guzzlers that spew out crap emissions but my cigarette bothers you.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so stupid.

 

I do what I want on vacation and if you want to wave your arms at me in the smoking section in the casino....well all I have to say is good luck with that, I will have you evicted in a quick second, as I have done before.

 

With that said, enjoy your thread, I am going out for a smoke. Everyone break out your 😷

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

 

It doesn’t matter when...this is what mattered.

 

In its court filings, Revel revealed it plans to drop its nonsmoking policy, joining Atlantic City’s other casinos in allowing patrons to smoke on part of the casino floor.

But allowing patrons to light up is only one of several big changes in the works. Its bankruptcy filing read like a laundry list of mistakes and misfortunes that caused the much-heralded resort to struggle sine the day it opened.

 

Don’t pivot. You said they failed before the recession. 

 

All casinos said that smoking will put them out of business. Outside of AC casinos in the area have done fairly well. There was one issue with one of the CT Indian casinos and debt built up by expansion. The more than 1 billion in debt that was encumbered by the Revel was the  death of it. 

 

We we have a slot casino near me that opened a couple of years ago that the line of cars waiting to get in is insane...no smoking. And that’s just slots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

So you recognize the unpleasant bits of smoking. You don’t want your house to stink. You don’t want to expose your family to smoke because??? It’s bad for them?  

So you get upset if others smoke around your family and your children? 

I just think it’s interesting that you respect your family enough to not smoke around them but don’t care enough not to expose others. 

 

My kids don’t have a choice but to be in our home. People can choose not to frequent casinos that allow smoking. Simple as that. 

 

People are exposed to pollutants every day. Most Indior spaces are now smoke free. And I support that. I used to work in a travel agency back when we could smoke at our desks & travel agents used to be notorious smokers. I’d say at least 80% of us smoked (late 80’s) and the air was blue. I totally got it & supported the indoor smoking ban.  I’ve never complained much about having to go outside. That said, I do enjoy the odd occasion that I don’t have to. 

 

On the the other hand, I’ve been outdoors & purposly stand away from entrances & other places where people are, and have had non-smokers huff & puff & eyeroll me. A few even make comments. The sense of entitlement people feel about telling other people what to do gets ridiculous at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Justaddvodka68 said:

 

 

On the the other hand, I’ve been outdoors & purposly stand away from entrances & other places where people are, and have had non-smokers huff & puff & eyeroll me. A few even make comments. The sense of entitlement people feel about telling other people what to do gets ridiculous at times. 

 

adding, as I said, I try to be polite about it. If I join a table in play where no one else is smoking, I will stand up a hand or two & step away to smoke. If I sit at a machine and light up & notice I’m bothering someone I’ll wait to smoke again until they move in or I move on. But if I’m already there smoking & you choose the seat next to me, I do feel I was there first & you made a choice to join me or sit next to me, so while I will hold my cigarette out if the way & blow the smoke away from the table. Don’t expect me not to smoke just because you showed up. It is a Smoking area. 

Edited by Justaddvodka68
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

I wonder how many of you “smoking smells” people douse themselves with cologne, drive gas guzzlers that spew out crap emissions but my cigarette bothers you.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so stupid.

 

I do what I want on vacation and if you want to wave your arms at me in the smoking section in the casino....well all I have to say is good luck with that, I will have you evicted in a quick second, as I have done before.

 

With that said, enjoy your thread, I am going out for a smoke. Everyone break out your 😷

 

 

Given that I drive a Tesla, don't wear cologne and don't smoke, are you going to have me thrown out of the casino when I give you the 1 finger salute? I doubt it. 

Edited by GlennGlenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justaddvodka68 said:

My kids don’t have a choice but to be in our home. People can choose not to frequent casinos that allow smoking. Simple as that. 

 

Seems the big difference is that you take responsibility for the effects smoke might have in your home, but do not care about the effects in the casino because RC has told you it is okay. Even though people have delineated the overflow of smoke out of the casinos, and even though the casino is also frequented by nonsmokers who, if they want to use a common venue, have to put up with the same stuff you are careful not to expose your children to.  The nonsmoker has no choice if he wishes to use the casino, but you have other choices for smoking.

 

Frankly, it is okay with me if you feel that way. I just wish you'd be honest enough to own up to the fact that you care enough to protect your children, but don't give a tinker's dam about the effect you have on other cruisers.

Edited by mayleeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Having a non-smoking section in the casino is like having a non-peeing section in the pool. 😉

I like this quote. This is not the first time I have seen this. Is it one of your originals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...