Jump to content

Insurance denial of changed itinerary for Serenade departing to Bermuda next week


Recommended Posts

I bought a cruise travel insurance policy which has trip delay and itinerary change prior to departure benefits.  I bought this policy very soon after purchasing cruise (I don't know if I can state the insurance company).  Today, I received an email that our cruise on the Serenade of the Seas which was scheduled to depart Boston this upcoming Tuesday is now being delayed until a Wednesday departure due to the hurricane.  Now, we will only be in Bermuda one day, instead of two.  

 

I called the insurance company, and they said that because our port of call was not changed, we have no claim.

 

???????????????????

 

Itinerary Change (prior to departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $100 per Trip
Itinerary Change – Inconvenience (after departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $100 per Trip
Itinerary Change – Pre-paid Excursion (after departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $250 per Trip
Missed Connection (3 hours)
Maximum Benefit up to $500 per Trip
Trip Cancellation
Maximum Benefit 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption
Maximum Benefit 125% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption for any Reason
Maximum Benefit up to $250 per Trip
Trip Delay (6 hours)
Maximum Benefit up to $500 per Trip / $100 per day

 

 

ITINERARY CHANGE
In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.
Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.
Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

 

I'm very disappointed.

 

 

GeezerCouple

  • 3,000+ Club
  • GeezerCouple
  • August 25, 2013
  •  
  • 4,845 posts
  • USA
  28 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

I bought a cruise travel insurance policy which has trip delay and itinerary change prior to departure benefits.  I bought this policy very soon after purchasing cruise (I don't know if I can state the insurance company).  Today, I received an email that our cruise on the Serenade of the Seas which was scheduled to depart Boston this upcoming Tuesday is now being delayed until a Wednesday departure due to the hurricane.  Now, we will only be in Bermuda one day, instead of two.  

 

I called the insurance company, and they said that because our port of call was not changed, we have no claim.

 

???????????????????

 

Itinerary Change (prior to departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $100 per Trip
Itinerary Change – Inconvenience (after departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $100 per Trip
Itinerary Change – Pre-paid Excursion (after departure)
Maximum Benefit up to $250 per Trip
Missed Connection (3 hours)
Maximum Benefit up to $500 per Trip
Trip Cancellation
Maximum Benefit 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption
Maximum Benefit 125% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption for any Reason
Maximum Benefit up to $250 per Trip
Trip Delay (6 hours)
Maximum Benefit up to $500 per Trip / $100 per day

 

 

ITINERARY CHANGE
In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.
Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.
Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

 

I'm very disappointed.  Oh well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I had the same problem when the Summit was having engine problems and half of our cruise was cut out.  Insurance did not apply to that situation.  Really frustrating.  I feel your pain.

I'm just a little annoyed.  I paid more for this insurance policy than others would have cost without those coverages.  I guess, if we had to go to Canada instead of Bermuda, we could have collected something.  It's no big deal, just a little frustrating though.  That's what happens when you don't carefully read the fine print.  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I bet trip delay means a delay getting to the ship, not a delay of the ship, but I would reread the policy if I were you and call them back. Don't give up too easily.

 

I know that trip delay includes a delay in returning - to use a recent example, when ships could not return on schedule to Florida ports last weekend or, an older example, when a volcanic eruption in Iceland cause transatlantic flights to be cancelled. I'm not sure how it would apply to a delay in the ship's departure, especially if passengers could board the ship on the scheduled day and spend the night in their staterooms, albeit still in port. Even so, I'd expect it only to cover extra costs incurred, not the passenger's choice to cancel altogether.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coverage will not begin until you leave your house.  They spell that out in the policy.  If your cruise is delayed and your prior plans were to arrive the day before, then you can file for trip delay as long as you travel to your embarkation port as scheduled.  You will be reimbursed per the policy's schedule of coverages for trip delay and that's the type of claim you file.  Travel insurance policies consist of several different types of coverage and only trip cancellation coverage will apply if you haven't left your house for the trip.

 

Just went through this on my shortened Allure of the Seas cruise.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gandt said:

They are offering reimbursement for the one day missed in the form of credit and a 1 day credit towards a future cruise. 

One would have to see the policy to really address this. But since Royal Caribbean is reimbursing you for the delayed departure and lost day with credit and FCC,  why would the insurance company also pay?  You aren't out any money because of this delay are you?  And you are getting compensation from the cruise line.  So it seems reasonable for the insurance company to deny this. 

Again, I haven't read the policy, so just guessing here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

why would the insurance company also pay? 

There is a missed or cancelled port coverage out there.  I haven't seen the exact policy language but it typically is a flat amount for a skipped or cancelled port.  Even if the cruise line gives you OBC or refunds port fees this policy will still pay out.  It's a pretty unique coverage in that you can make a claim for this happening prior to taking the cruise and also during the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

There is a missed or cancelled port coverage out there.  I haven't seen the exact policy language but it typically is a flat amount for a skipped or cancelled port.  Even if the cruise line gives you OBC or refunds port fees this policy will still pay out.  It's a pretty unique coverage in that you can make a claim for this happening prior to taking the cruise and also during the cruise.

Allianz has a missed port of call up to three ports! 100 dollars for the missed port of call.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

One would have to see the policy to really address this. But since Royal Caribbean is reimbursing you for the delayed departure and lost day with credit and FCC,  why would the insurance company also pay?  You aren't out any money because of this delay are you?  And you are getting compensation from the cruise line.  So it seems reasonable for the insurance company to deny this. 

Again, I haven't read the policy, so just guessing here.  

NCFs and government taxes are quite high for Bermuda sailings.  The one day they are giving back is not including those fees.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Nationwide Universal Cruise Insurance.

 

I had issues with Nationwide when my sister was in intensive care while I was in France.  They were absolutely hideous and I will never use them again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...