Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
danny6514

Eclipse vs Millenium for Alaska

Hey everyone, I'm looking into booking our first Celebrity cruise, cruising Alaska next year! We live in Vancouver so currently there's Millenium and Eclipse on the table.

In addition to ports, food is also really important to us. I was under the impression the S class ships would have better food and more options in Oceanview Cafe as an example,  but since Millenium just went through the revolution, things might have changed. Has anyone experienced these two ships (or their equivalents)? Their pricing is roughly the same so it makes it a tough pick. Thanks!

Even though we live in Alaska we periodically do Alaska cruises as this state is so large it gives us an excuse to visit another part.  We actually did another one this summer.

As someone who spends 60 to 90 nights a year on Celebrity ships we have spent significant amounts of time on both M- and S-class ships.   While the layouts are different I have always thought that the food quality and options in the Ocean View Cafe are essentially the same on both types of ships.

I also think that the Millennium itinerary is stronger than the Eclipse.  But if I lived in Vancouver my decision would depend on whether we wanted to see some of either Southcentral or the Interior of Alaska.  For example, would you want to spend some time on the Kenai Peninsula  or go to Denali National Park?  If not then save the airfare from Anchorage to Vancouver. and take the Eclipse.  

33 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Even though we live in Alaska we periodically do Alaska cruises as this state is so large it gives us an excuse to visit another part.  We actually did another one this summer.

As someone who spends 60 to 90 nights a year on Celebrity ships we have spent significant amounts of time on both M- and S-class ships.   While the layouts are different I have always thought that the food quality and options in the Ocean View Cafe are essentially the same on both types of ships.

I also think that the Millennium itinerary is stronger than the Eclipse.  But if I lived in Vancouver my decision would depend on whether we wanted to see some of either Southcentral or the Interior of Alaska.  For example, would you want to spend some time on the Kenai Peninsula  or go to Denali National Park?  If not then save the airfare from Anchorage to Vancouver. and take the Eclipse.  

Thanks for the very detailed reply! It's great to hear there aren't too many differences regarding OVC on both classes. Is there one that you would prefer over the other?

Regarding the itinerary, I believe they both visit the same ports except Millenium also visits Skagway. Strictly speaking, Millenium has the superior itinerary, but the costly one way airfare makes the option less attractive.