Cruise Critic Community
Cruise-y

Churrascaria? Why Dislike?

I see posts where folks say they don’t care for Churrascaria?  Can you explain why?  An outside venue seems lovely to me.  Is it the food quality?  The ambiance?  Service?  Variety?  What?  Thanks!

I can’t help you there. Several friends and I quite enjoy it and dine there once or twice per cruise depending on length. 

Note that outside venue not offered on all cruises. It depends on anticipated weather (and other stuff like mosquitos.)

It is a nice option for dinner.  The tables are spaced further apart.  We hosted 4 family members for dinner and the ambiance was lovely.  A more relaxed  setting.  

1 hour ago, Cruise-y said:

Is it the food quality?  The ambiance?  Service?  Variety?  What?  Thanks!

Sorry can't help - we like it occasionally as do almost all of our friends

Good quality meats, reasonable ambience given it's a repurposed space (Marketplace buffet area by day- the old Lido), Variety is good - of course if you don't eat meat you might not agree but there are some options for non meat eaters

Can't help either.

We enjoyed both times we've been there on both ships.

It's nice to have this as a choice.

In our case we eat a large salad and Marketplace each day for lunch already and prefer some of the other venues more.

The reality is some people dine at this venue frequently, some from time to time and some not often.

That doesn't make it good or bad.  It means that each person has their own view.

By the way the same is true for lunch.  I know some who only eat at Waterside (they want table service) some eat at Trident Grill  some at Marketplace and some at two of three or across all three.

We rarely eat at the Trident Grill.  Does that make it bad?  No.  We just prefer Marketplace because we like salad entrees and we can make our own there.

Many nights  Churrascaria is full.  I think that says it all.  

It is a casual restaurant.  It is the only one of the dining venues that Crystal does not designate as a specialty restaurant.  It has a nice variety of items.  It appeals to those who want just salad and veggies, some who prefer meat or other protein items, some who want to eat a lot, some who want to eat light, some who are by themselves, some with another person, some with children and grandchildren as you can control the pace of your meal, etc., etc., 

People might not remember that when the original dining venue on Serenity Tastes (not the second Tastes but the original one) was opened with the rollout of Serenity it was a very casual dining venue.  It was simple.  Some enjoyed it and others preferred other places but it served a great purpose as does this restaurant.

Keith

I agree with all of the above and if for whatever reason it didn’t last the course I would be sorry to see it go....  

Anne..

5 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

I see posts where folks say they don’t care for Churrascaria?  Can you explain why?  An outside venue seems lovely to me.  Is it the food quality?  The ambiance?  Service?  Variety?  What?  Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing! So far no one here seems to have a problem with it. Where are the 60% of Crystal cruisers who supposedly don't like it? 

I guess I am in the category of not liking it, but I have hesitated to reply because I have only eaten there once.  And in fairness, the sea was a bit rough that evening.  Churrascaria is at the far aft of deck 12, not the best place to eat in rough seas.

It was also very noisy, and the meats I was most interested in were the last to come out.  Meanwhile, it was very easy to overindulge there, because they encouraged us to try some (and not just a bite or two) of everything.  This is not a good idea even in calm seas.  Some of the meats were a bit dry, but at this point they are blurred together iny mind so I can't really be specific about each one.

I really like the other dining options so much, that so far I have not been willing to forego them to give Churrascaria another try.  If I ever do, I will be much more disciplined about not trying everything offered.

Karen.

I'll bite. For openers, we went several other people. It took forever to get a drink other than the pre-made caiparina. I hate buffets, so second strike. When meats came they were cold and dry and actually tough. Definitely not the quality we are used to on Crystal. Grilled pineapple was good. No need to go back when there are so many other venues with way better food, IMO.

We like everything about the Brazilian restaurant except for the name. If we can't spell or say it, it is not a good name.

So, maybe the  cruisers who are critical of the venue just resent having to go to school before going to eat, and expect too much. Otherwise it is a very pleasant low key place, a fun change from the other choices. And we don't eat much meat.

We have eaten there on both ships perhaps a dozen times. we look forward to eating there again on the upcoming TA on Serenity.

I hope we can get in. To quote Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

2 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I'll bite. For openers, we went several other people. It took forever to get a drink other than the pre-made caiparina. I hate buffets, so second strike. When meats came they were cold and dry and actually tough. Definitely not the quality we are used to on Crystal. Grilled pineapple was good. No need to go back when there are so many other venues with way better food, IMO.

Agree, we just do not like the entire concept! 

If you know buffets aren't your thing, it's smart not to go to one. If you have a tendency to overeat, and can't reign in your urges, be prepared to deal with the consequences. If the seas are rough, and you're sensitive to rough seas, it's a good idea to avoid a dining venue on a top deck.

My spouse and I eat don't eat meat, but enjoy Churrascaria. Their Pao de Queijo is the best I've ever had.

Every time I've been to Churrascaria it's been a fun, casual evening, with great food, drinks, and entertaining servers. We love seeing the Lido and Trident guys/gals in this environment. I think Churrascaria appeals to a younger demographic. Businesses have to change with the times, Crystal knows this. I don't eat meat either and love all the salads and veggies offerings (love the baked potatoes too). Agree that Churrascia's Brazilian cheese bread (pao de queijo-made w/ tapioca flour) is delicious.

Put me in the dislike camp.

I hate buffets, even the "grand buffet" that Crystal has in the Cove.

The meats seem to be of poor quality.

Atmosphere just seems poor to me...

I've only eaten there once, but I doubt I will return.  But hey....the place was crowded, one needs reservations, and I hear others loved it! 

As Keith so aptly states "Choice is good." 

3 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

But hey....the place was crowded, one needs reservations, and I hear others loved it! 

I did not think you needed Reservations??

I did  not see anyplace on the PCPC to make res for that Restaurant for our upcoming cruise

I also dislike self serve buffets  but was going to give it  a try..well maybe not now  with the comments here

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I did not think you needed Reservations??

I did  not see anyplace on the PCPC to make res for that Restaurant for our upcoming cruise

I also dislike self serve buffets  but was going to give it  a try..well maybe not now  with the comments here

You are correct, no reservations at Churwhatever. (I agree, the name is a "problem".)

However, I don't see taking the opinions of strangers on a board on much of anything, especially since the majority here actually seem to like it. Try it once, with an open mind, and then form your own opinion.

Patty

12 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

You are correct, no reservations at Churwhatever. (I agree, the name is a "problem".)

However, I don't see taking the opinions of strangers on a board on much of anything, especially since the majority here actually seem to like it. Try it once, with an open mind, and then form your own opinion.

Patty

We will

but  not really liking the self serve  idea

YMMV

We tend to dine later so I picked a night we would be leaving port about 8. We did get a prime table by the back windows, very nice. The staff seemed very happy, were trying really hard to please. That said; drinks were slow, meat wasn't piping hot and juicy, sides were uninteresting to me, and I too intensely dislike buffets. Casual is fine but I want to be waited on. Personally I thought the food offered at the Symphony's sometimes casual dinner in the Lido was far better. Will it stop me from cruising Crystal? Absolutely not and since I'm very close to the 50 leg mark, soon I won't have to pay for unlimited sushi and Prego. YUM! 

Carnivores unite!!

Here are a few tips -- if the skewer comes to you with only one or two pieces of meat, you know that it has been "out and about" and won't be piping hot.  So take a pass, even if it's the meat you want.  You can easily come back to it when they have a fresh one.   Also, just ask your server for what you want, rather than just waiting.  Most times, a fresh skewer will be on its way, or at least one barely touched.

Finally, if you are someone who wants to be waited on....don't go to a venue where you have to serve yourself.  Simple solution - and there are plenty of venues for you onboard.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We will

but  not really liking the self serve  idea

YMMV

The good news is you have four other dining venues with no self service. 

You may may or may not know this but the Gauchos bring all of the beef, chicken. Shrimp and other hot entree items to the table similar to what is done at restaurants  on land such as Fogi de Chau. They also serve delicious bread. They  come around with drinks. 

My suggestion is stop by there early in the cruise when they are open for dinner and ask the Head Waiter if you can take a look so you get an idea of the setup. If it looks apoealing try it another night. If not you have those other dining choices available to you  

In all my years of cruising I  Have keRned that there is no single restaurant that appeals to every guest. This is why choice is good. 

Keith

Edited by SnoBirdCruiser

1 minute ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

You may may or may not know this but the Gauchos bring all of the beef, chicken. Shrimp and other hot entree items to the table similar to what is done at restaurants  on land such as Fogi de Chau. They also serve delicious bread. They  come around with drinks. 

My suggestion is stop by there early in the cruise when they are open for dinner and ask the Head Waiter if you can take a look so you get an idea of the setup. If it looks apoealing try it another night. If not you have those other dining choices available to you  

In all my years of cruising I  Have keRned that there is no single restaurant that appeals to every guest. This is why choice is good. 

Keith

Keith,

this post plus your last post are being posted under pat/snobird’s log in..very ofd

Nancy 

I'm not a meat eater. I eat fish (no shellfish) chicken and veggies. I found the fish dried out and inedible and the chicken also to be overcooked. I was not impressed with the buffet items overall and the best thing besides the rolls was the pineapple at the end.

20 minutes ago, SnoBirdCruiser said:

Keith

This post was from me Keith.  Several months ago I helped Pat out with getting their photo on their sign in and somehow the user name/password saved to my iPhone.  I have not deleted it.  Oh this technology is too much.

20 minutes ago, AtA said:

the best thing besides the rolls was the pineapple at the end.

Ah, sometimes I wonder if I could just go there for the pineapple.

Roy